Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • TITANIUM full sussers – any good? And any beyond Merlin???
  • Aus
    Free Member

Interested in getting a full sus for comfort – would be 100mm travel, XC/singletrack – no hard gnarly stuff at all. Comfort key to ease back injury.

Have a ti hardtail, and love the idea of titanium. So for the lust factor and simple enjoyment of riding, is looking at a ti full sus daft? Googling suggest Merlin made one with an Ellsworth rear end, but haven’t found many others.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Waste of money.

But it sounds like you want one and have the money.

mmel
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

IMO better off with a carbon one, say Anthem X.

And I ride a Ti HT too 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

moots and eriksen do full suss, pig ugly and if you ask me 😉

TheDoctor
    Free Member

pig ugly and if you ask me

Yeah Really ugly 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

I love my old Tomac Revolver Ti – but they’re long gone now and you can’t have mine. I don’t think it’s daft – there is the theory that full sus bikes go out of date quickly so there’s no point making them in ti, but that only applies if you’re fashion-led.

onewheelgood

The eriksen is certainly better looking than this http://www.litespeed.com/bike.asp?content=Sewanee-2013

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

a little bit pointless though as the feel of the frame is removed by the suspension action, unless the suspension action is poor, obviously…

bencooper
    Free Member

The point I can see is that you can have flexible “pivots” in ti – for example my Tomac has no pivot at the bottom of the seatstay. Plus oyu get the durability of ti.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re generally heavier and more expensive than aluminium equivalents whilst lasting no longer. If exclusivity is your top priority then go nuts. If you value performance more highly I’d look elsewhere.

oldfart

I find Ti F/S as pointless as painted Ti why ?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this, mainly as neither the UK steel builders or the German alu builders will touch my ideas but the Chinese ti builders will happily take my money

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Independent Fabrications did one – it was reviewed in ST mag many years ago. Had some kind of Dave Weagle design IIRC and was about £5k for the frame only.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Aus – Member

Googling suggest Merlin made one with an Ellsworth rear end, but haven’t found many others.

I have one:

DSC05371 by theflatboy, on Flickr

I love it. 🙂

Aus
    Free Member

flatboy – looks good – what is it that makes it ace for you?

rewski
    Free Member

south downs? nicest ti full suss I’ve seen.

mt
    Free Member

I have one of those. Really like it. Had it since 2007. Ridden twice across Scottish and English C2C Miles in the Dales, Peaks, Quantocks, Mid wales, Lakes and various 7 Stanes. You can set it up for fast XC or more general do it all ride. It’s not an “all mountain/downhill” bike though. It’s fast as long as things don’t get to rough. Forgot, done a good portion of both the Colarado Trail and the Leadville 100 on it. Love but also get a bit torn between my soul.

Apparently the Merlin Works 4 was a poor seller so there were many around in the US much reduced. As I recall there was a text in Singletrack that gave it a fair review.

I’d consider selling mine but I’d be gutted to see it go in the same way as I was sad to see my Pace RC200 go. Thing have to change. I suspect that this on is a keeper.

oxym0r0n

Kingdom Hex AM – too gnarly for you?

andyl46
    Free Member

I had a Litespeed Niota Ti. Stupidly expensive, flexy and special, and not in a good way.

jameso

I’ve been looking at this, mainly as neither the UK steel builders or the German alu builders will touch my ideas but the Chinese ti builders will happily take my money

That may tell you something worth knowing )

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ll have a go at any idea you like as long as you have money 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

It tells me that UK steel builders are stuck in the 1950s and way over priced.

Seriously, only one builder in the UK that I contacted was interested in doing full suspension and they already charge far too much for a standard ht.

The Chinese are far more accommodating, cheaper and don’t have a massive chip on their shoulder.

mt
    Free Member

Ooh get her. Do you think cost could have something to do with wages? Perhaps even an artificially under valued currency? Are the potatoes a bit cheaper? I bet the chips are not fried in real beef dripping.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The Chinese are cheaper full stop. It is impossible for uk manufacturers to compete on price, and if price is your main driver then look elsewhere. I’m sure Cy and others are not being wafted to work from their country piles in their Maybachs. Uk frame manufacturers are not ripping us off and they produce products of the highest quality – probably the best frames in the world. Old school is not necessarily old fashioned.

Also steel is not old tech. On the contrary. The latest steel alloys are far higher tech and a more modern material than titanium, carbon fibre (which really is stuck in the 1970’s and hasn’t really progressed since then as a material) and al alloy. Steel is still the foundation of worldwide industry, not al alloy, not titanium (which is mostly used for golf clubs) and certainly not carbon.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Steel is still the foundation of worldwide industry, not al alloy, not titanium (which is mostly used for golf clubs) and certainly not carbon.

So’s carbon, maybe for even a bigger industry than cycling, but certainly not an insignificant one: Fishing
    🙂

njee20
    Free Member

probably the best frames in the world

Based on what!?

irelanst
    Free Member

Steel is the foundation of worldwide industry because it is readily available, easy to work with and cheap. It is very rarely the ‘best’ material for the job but it is often the most cost effective. If people could afford to build ships from titanium they would because it doesn’t rust for example.

You really don’t think carbon hasn’t progressed from the days of chopped strands and hand layed up polyester resins? The bare material is still essentially the same i.e. carbon, but resin and manufacturing technology has advanced massively. You could just as easily argue that ‘high tech’ steel is still essentially iron.

The major use of titanium is as a pigment in paint, there is very little used in a set of golf clubs. Far more steel, carbon and rubber are used than titanium, which is only really used on the face of ‘woods’.

Back to the OP, I think the same as Ben, titanium is usefull in soft-tail situations where the chainstays flex to provide a bit of travel (like the Moots). As a regular full-suss design carbon and ali would seem to be better options, although the Eriksen above looks really nice.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Am I imagining this or was there a Ti Full suss from Whyte in MBR or MBUK recently? There stuff is great and sexy to boot.

theflatboy
    Free Member

By the way, in terms of options I’m fairly sure Ellsworth currently do the Tiruth, which is basically the same as my Merlin above.

edit – nope, turns out they don’t any more!

AlexSimon

Could you get the Cotic factory to do a one-off in Ti?

bencooper
    Free Member

It tells me that UK steel builders are stuck in the 1950s and way over priced.

Seriously, only one builder in the UK that I contacted was interested in doing full suspension and they already charge far too much for a standard ht.

The Chinese are far more accommodating, cheaper and don’t have a massive chip on their shoulder.

Well, that got weird – especially as I wasn’t even born in the ’50s and like every other British framebuilder I know I’m not exactly rich 😉

Of course China will be cheap for stuff. The cost of living is a fraction of what it is here, and there’s a huge pool of labour. But a custom frame is a conversation – when I build a frame for someone, I typically spend several hours on the phone, exchange quite a few emails and send lots of drawings back and forth to make sure the frame ends up exactly right.

It’s hard to have a conversation like that when your framebuilder is on the other side of the World, and speaks only Chinese.

heihei

Got a Titus Motolite in exogrid I might be persuaded to part with…..

Leku
    Free Member

Jeronimo Chabardo ti

DanW
    Free Member

Yes a Ti full susser is daft but if you have the money why not 😀

Funk Cycles La Ruta would be the top of my list

patriotpro
    Free Member

oldfart – Member
    I find Ti F/S as pointless as painted Ti why ?

Painting Ti is like putting a supermodel in tramps clothing; it’s just not right. 😀

tazzymtb

Black sheep do custom ti fs, they’re lush

veedubba
    thepodge
    Free Member

Stock reply from a UK builder, “oooh that’s not something we normally do, & it’ll be pricey, I’m not sure it’s worth me looking into”

Stock reply from a Chinese builder “yes, no problem”

I’m after a frame builder not some self appointed “master craftsman of dark arts”

Last year’s bespoke Bristol shows how little things have moved on. The only full suspension I could find was UK built, Chinese made. The only fat bike US designed, Chinese made. Most of the mountain bikes looked like they were straight from the 90s & the retro look road bike was everywhere.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bung me an email. Seriously.

Today, I’m building a Rohloff rear swingarm for a Brompton, designing a tandem tricycle and starting on a curvy-stayed MTB with upside-dowen forks if I have time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘TITANIUM full sussers – any good? And any beyond Merlin???’ is closed to new replies.