Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • titanium frame, carbon seatpost?
  • scotia
    Free Member

I have heard that a carbon post in a titanium frame causes problems – is this so?

What does the collective say?

clubber
    Free Member

No more so than a carbon post in a steel or alumninium one. It's fine. Depending on who you believe, either grease or use carbon prep or leave it dry but regardless take it out every few weeks/months to stop it seizing.

scotia
    Free Member

take it out every couple of months? serious??! I fix and dont move my seatposts…maybe alu for me then?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

Got me worried now as I haven't moved the carbon post in my Epic for years!

njee20
    Free Member

Be fine, it's pretty rare for a post to seize, and carbon is far less likely to seize than a metal post.

Don't grease, use some assembly paste if anything. Just bear in mind that if you don't ever move your seatpost (in any frame) you may find it stuck when you come to move it.

scotia
    Free Member

never had a problem before..ever!

assembly paste..now whats that in french?! (i live in switzerland..)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

no probs here. I just use the Finish Line paste (which is okay but only okay – post still needs quite a but of tightening)

clubber
    Free Member

You don't have to remove it every couple of months but I would do if it was mine – One of my mate's carbon posts welded itself in his aluminium road bike after around a year – it's still stuck there.

mugsys_m8

The french is I think Paste de montage, or something similar.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

take it out every couple of months? serious??! I fix and dont move my seatposts…maybe alu for me then?!

Is removing a seatpost every couple of months that difficult?

JB
    Free Member

Nothing that a good dose of hot water around the seat tube wont cure… unless its a carbon seatpost in a carbon frame.

clubber
    Free Member

I can assure you that nothing short of a hacksaw was going to remove the carbon post I mentioned above…

mema
    Free Member

I've had a carbon post seize to a ti frame, it took heating the ti up and a hammer to try an knock the post out then finally a hacksaw to finish the job off. So yeah remove the seatpost on occasions!

mt
    Free Member

Had one seize in a ti fram also. Had to bust it to remove it. Could not get hold of carbon anti seize at the time.

JB
    Free Member

Oh dear! That is bad… I had one seize on me and no amount of smacking with increasingly large hammers would budge it… it was the hot water trick that did it in the end and remarkably easily too!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Now you see I thought that one of the wonders of Titanium was that it was desperately inert (which made it energy intensive and thus expensive to extract); if that's the case, what is the chemical process going on that causes carbon posts to seize in Ti frames? Assuming of course that it is a chemical process.

mt
    Free Member

Suspect mine was contamination from grease/oil/cleaning products.

messiah
    Free Member

I had to cut a carbon post from an Alu frame recently – my own fault for leaving it for years after using it for commuting through a winter… The bike was a complete wreck, F*&^^%^ SALT!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – just taken my spesh carbon seatpost from my alu road frame – not a mark on it? although it doesn get muddy but does get wet! perhaps depends on teh seatpost – I doubt titianium (which is pretty innert compared with alu) would cause a reaction with the resin in the composite IMO?

aP
    Free Member

Scotia – we're out in the northern French Alps in 2 weeks, with 4 days at the end. We could bring some carbon paste out with us if you want?
    Knowing what you've bought it will have an aluminium insert at the top of the seat tube. You would be very much advised to use carbon paste as the Record seatpost in my CR64 has stuck, have got some carbon-ease to free it and will then replace it with a new one using the aformentioned paste.
    Will email you later.
    A.

scotia
    Free Member

Kingtut, uhm thanks your lovely remark. No i dont think so, even I should be able to do it. The point was that it seems a shame to 'have' to do this just so it doesnt seize..

aP – there is no alu insert…or there wasnt on the 1st frame..its been sent back due to teething probs…we'll see when i get the next one!

i think the local bike shop should have some..it'll be ok thanks..where are yous going? lemme know!

My knee is recovering after the effort to Saas Fee with the trailer…was kinda tough that!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘titanium frame, carbon seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.