• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Titanium Audax/Commuter Recommendations
  • Daffy

Looking (aspirationally) at possibly replacing the Niner with something in the next year.

I’d like titanium, disc, internal routing, brakes and Di2, possibly an EBB, guard and rack mounts and clearance for 42mm tyres.

Enigma and PX Hurricane seem to come close (no EBB and externally routed), but what else is out there that you’ve seen?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Firefly custom with a belt drive Di2 Alfine.

kilo

That’s a seriously fugly bike

Daffy

kilo – Member
    That’s a seriously fugly bike

Agreed, but Firefly do make some nice bikes; thanks CFH, I’d forgotten about them. Pricey, but pretty.

MrSparkle

Have a look at Sabbath. I have one of their older Sunday’s and it is nice to ride.

TiRed

Seven Axiom/Evergreen/…

http://www.sevencycles.com/options.php

How much do you want to spend?

Daffy

Very nice.

amedias
    Free Member

Enigma …seem to come close (no EBB and externally routed)

I’m sure Enigma would build whatever you asked if you’re happy to pay for it…

freeagent
    Free Member

New Stainless Steel Layhams from Bowman looks awesome – I know you wanted Ti but could be worth a look..??

mugsys_m8

Cycles Léon?

schmiken

Kinesis GF Ti?

Rik
    Free Member

Do you want run of the mill Ti or posh custom Ti? That’s the first question esp. on cost

The likes of Seven and Firefly are a world apart from Planet X and Kinesis

twojumpers

Reilly cycle works do some nice looking frames?

Daffy

The likes of Seven and Firefly are a world apart from Planet X and Kinesis

Are they? I mean really? When it comes down to ride quality, is it more of the 80:20 rule? I can certainly understand paying for custom work and fine detailing, but concerning the ride quality, are they worlds apart?

Rik
    Free Member

The fact you specify tube diameter based on your weight and style rather than generic. On top of custom fit

Plus you have a proper warranty they will stand by, Kinesis is 3 years I think.

Finish is def. better too

pushbikerider
    Free Member

If you don’t mind going direct to China you can roll yourself a custom titanium frame for a fine price, have an investigate over here:
    http://www.spanner.org.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

Spa Cycles if you prefer value to ultimate bragging rights

Merak

I have a Sabbath September which despite the rubbish name is an excellent winter/Audax bike.

I’m sure there’s someone else on here with one too.

Daffy

Well, it’s certainly titanium and has rack mounts, but seems to be missing everything else…

TiRed

Are they? I mean really?

Yes. And you will communicate with the person building your frame, not assembling your bike.

There are few Ti builders in the UK. Plenty of box shippers, and some with better hands-on designing (e.g., Burls), but not many actual welders of Ti.

Seven and Moots 8) (as the current owner of a Charge Ti frame of who knows what provenance, but I did have a Merlin)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Seven seem to be one of those brands which are incapable of making a nice looking bike, I’m sure they’re very good but they just look wrong somehow. (IMHO etc obvz)

On the other hand having just built up a custom chitanium frame into a gravel bike I can genuinely recommend you don’t do the same. Not even remotely worth the cash savings. (Again, imho etc)

duner
    Free Member

Enigma can build you almost anything. Either here in the UK or overseas. EBB and internal routing is possible, as are other options such as sliding dropouts.

Feel free to email me sales@enigmabikes.com and we can discuss the options. Cheers, Richard

slowoldman

I have a Sabbath September which despite the rubbish name is an excellent winter/Audax bike.

I’m currently lusting after one of those.

Merak

I managed to break mine at the rear stay after 9 years service in the Spring. The folk at Spa Cycles were most surprised by the failure. They sent me a new frame, which was nice.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Audax/Commuter Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.