Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Titanium! A bike for life.
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Cotic Soda R.I.P

2011 Cove Hummer insurance replacement

R.I.P

Poo

Strange place to crack and plenty of seatpost in frame.

MM

float
    Free Member

for some reason i think ive seen a few other pics of titanium frames fail there 😕 ill try and see if i can find the thread…

bol

I’ve seen one go just there before. Silverfish will see you right.

I don’t buy into the ti bike for life thing. We buy them because they are light and shiny. They break like everything else.

bedmaker

steel is real

float
    Free Member

here we go, near the bottom of the page.

sorry for your loss, isnt it a warranty job for cotic?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yeah, steel never breaks…

Who built the soda and hummer?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, had a Ti frame crack exactly there before.

No more ££££ Ti frames for me anymore.

monkeyboyjc

i may be wrong but I think its the weld interface between the 4 tubes that joint there – all that heat weakens it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

‘Ti, bike for life’ is an internet forum myth that the doe-eyed fanboys use to reassure their buying choices.
    titanium fatigues and breaks as much as any other frame material.

the_lecht_rocks

blimey 😮

hummerlicious
    Free Member

That’s the 4th or 5th I’ve seen in exactly that spot

Ringo
    Free Member

Yep ti breaks, which is why I like having a lifetime warranty

ton

i reckon that the only ‘bike for life’ would be a kona clump tubed hardtail.
    the hoss or shred type of frame is pretty indestructable, i have never seen tubing as thick!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I know they are not for life…thought it would be a good title 😉

The soda was out of warranty when it broke so had to claim on insurance. They wouldn’t deal with Cotic so ended up with the hummer. It’s a great bike and I’m a bit gutted!

Float…thanks for the link. Notice who started that thread too 😉

Hopefully Silverfish will sort me ok and they have a frame in stock! It has a 5 year warranty so should be fine. Have some pics to send the shop tomorrow.

MM

haggis1978

ive got an old Kona King Kahuna that cracked there as well. sorry to see that bud, i know your pain 🙁

LeeW

Yep ti breaks, which is why I like having a lifetime warranty

Doesn’t mean a lot unfortunately.

“all things considered, we consider 4 years of use is an acceptable lifetime for a mtb frame.”

The email said something along those lines anyway.

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Had a Lynskey go there too. Mine was along the bead of the weld. Too much heat in the weld???

john_l
    Free Member

My 2010 Lynskey went there too. They’ve really beefed the seat tube sleeve up on the replacement/new models.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

steel is real

WTF is this meant to mean? What does it mean? NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.

Does it imply that other substances are somehow a figment of our imagination?

Wally

MM – it’s that Epping Mud, dangerous stuff. Sorry to see this – Odd how the Tinbred in your group is still going strong all these years yet not your Ti frames. Good luck with Silverfish.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Thats why you don’t buy cheap Ti frames, How many Moots, Kish or Serotta’s do you ever see cracked? None!

the_lecht_rocks

yhedoctor – probably due to their infrequent numbers too…..

MrSmith
    Free Member

How many Moots, Kish or Serotta’s do you ever see cracked? None!

spurious internet rumour.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats why you don’t buy cheap Ti frames, How many Moots, Kish or Serotta’s do you ever see cracked? None!

Its cos the people who buy those sorts of frames dont actually ride them.

Theres a guy on here who has a daft amount (7 or 8 i think) titanium bikes. I bet they barely cover any miles at all.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

To those above, buy cheap poorly made Ti frames and expect the worst, but a well made Ti frame and it will last, end of, anybody who thinks differently is an IDIOT!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’re a bloody devils advocate you are. I dont believe you believe what you’re on about.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Buy cheap buy twice. Still riding a 94 ti frame. Ti might not be for life but chances are if you buy a decent one it’ll last a damn site longer than most other materials, Steel maybe exception.

the_lecht_rocks

so litespeed and lynskey are cheap and incapable , hahahahaha….

Klunk
    Free Member

didn’t take much looking cracked moots

TheDoctor
    Free Member

so litespeed and lynskey are cheap and incapable

Dur yes!

didn’t take much looking cracked moots

Incorrect assembly by monkeys doesn’t count

MrSmith
    Free Member

You’re a bloody devils advocate you are. I dont believe you believe what you’re on about.

oh i believe he does 🙄

the_lecht_rocks

thedoctor – incapable…………………………? hahahahahahaha….

who are you ? valentino, n’est ce pas 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

I have a 2004 moots smoothie Al, that I dont beat on at all…I baby this bike. I cracked first on the rear triangle, where the right chainstay meets the pivot assembly. This was a known weak spot on these bikes so I wasnt all that surprised to have it happen.I had it fixed, and began riding again. I was very surprised to find a 3 inch long crack on the front triangle along the weld where the downtube, seattube, and BB assembly come together!! This happened only 3 rides after the rear triangle was repaired. I never thought I would say this, but I wish I would have bought a trek or cannondale instead of a moots!!!! Because they offer lifetime warranties on all their frames!! I dont understand why moots only offers a 2 year warranty on Al products!?!?! It just doesnt make sense. Its like they are building a weak product and they know it!!!

from mtbr

Klunk
    Free Member

google search of…

site:forums.mtbr.com cracked moots

1060 results, which i suggest is quite a few for an uncommon bike.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve seen more Lynskey-made frame failures than all other brands put together.

skywalker
    Free Member

Except Lappiere and Commencal

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member

I mean “in the flesh”, not pictures on t’internet.

johnners
    Free Member

Did Lynskey make the Soda then?

😉

captaindanger

Geeky post alert. That’s a shame. I checked fatigue life of Ti I think it’s wrought on page 455 which is the one we’re looking at in bike frames, thiough someone might tell me otherwise.

Anyway it does fatigue, although I can’t be bothered to work out what those graphs mean in bike frames. I remember in my materials lectures being told that it has a very high crack propogation, so small cracks will quickly become big ones, even scratches. Luckily it’s very hard so they don’t get scratched too much.

takisawa2

Seeing all the cracked Ti frames on here has put me off ever buying one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Titanium! A bike for life.’ is closed to new replies.