Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tired of tyres
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Some times i think about (purchase) tyres too much and find it a bit wearing – excuse the pun.

Could i not just run mud x’s all year round, adjust the pressure dependent on the weather and be happy?

Whats your strategy?

Let me know!

DC

nedrapier

same, but with SB8s!

mboy
    Free Member

Could i not just run mud x’s all year round, adjust the pressure dependent on the weather and be happy?

Yes

But for 10 months or more per year they’ll be too slow, too narrow, and wear way too quickly to be ideal. Brilliant tyres for the slop, but not ideal for other conditions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t even think about what tyres I have on, would change for muddy rides, tho I’ll more often get out on the road then.

darkcyan
    Free Member

ok if not mud x what is the best fit and forget for the uk – general trail duties.

creamegg
    Free Member

I only have one set of tyres, the ones that come with the bike. Might not have the best tyres to suit the conditions but so what if I lose some grip from time to time? Adds to the fun. I’ve thought about getting more tyres but I wouldn’t know where to start looking/ choosing. I just go out and ride and don’t have to worry about what tyres for what trail for what weather etc

darkcyan
    Free Member

interesting – schwalbe have a whole tyre system going on.

They tell you what combo to tun in what conditions – must be a nightmare if you are running tubeless!

mboy
    Free Member

ok if not mud x what is the best fit and forget for the uk – general trail duties.

Loads of different options, depends how wide/light/fast/grippy you want, but my current favourite are Conti Rubber Queens in 2.2″ Black Chili.

Other opinions will no doubt vary.

I only have one set of tyres, the ones that come with the bike. Might not have the best tyres to suit the conditions but so what if I lose some grip from time to time? Adds to the fun.

Yes, but… If it adds to the fun it’s all well and good, but if they’re so inapropriate they start to detract from the ride, then it’s not so good. And what about if you’re racing? Just saying like, cos I’m not too bothered myself, but if you are racing then tyres will be very important.

must be a nightmare if you are running tubeless!

Only if you’re totally inept!

Tubeless tyres are a piece of the proverbial to setup properly, provided you’ve got the right tools for the job and the right technique. That’s all. Takes barely any longer than a tyre with an inner tube. Personally I don’t change tyres all that often any more, but I’ve never found it an issue anyway.

chives
    Free Member

+1 for Creamegg.

Better the devil you know sometimes I reckon. So it’s Nobby nics for me, come rain or shine. Used ’em with tubes, and for a while now tubeless. It’s not always about getting what you want as much as wanting what you’ve got. And at my age I tend to run out of nerve as often as I run out of grip if you see what I mean! 😯

creamegg
    Free Member

Ok different story if your racing, I didn’t consider that as I don’t race myself. Ok so if you ride in conditions or places where a better tyre would be advantageous have two or three sets, that should cover most situations but I can’t see the need to have a shed full of tyre choices unless racing. But each to their own, maybe I’m missing out

deviant
    Free Member

I have left my 2.35 (Maxxis always come up narrow) High Rollers on since last year….i had a particularly muddy and unpleasant ride in Nov last year which put me off riding through the worst of winter….it just wasnt fun.

For the remaining 9 months of the year these seem to be fine, obviously there are faster rolling tyres but i enjoy some mini-DH stuff at FoD, Rogate etc and cant be bothered changing tyres all the time….even better now they are £20 from CRC.

42a super tacky on the front and normal 60a on the back.

This year i have ridden at Swinley, Tunnel Hill, QECP, Ceasars Camp, Rogate, FoD and havent found myself cursing my tyre choice once.

chvck
    Free Member

It’s simple, just man up and you’ll never even have to bother with tyres:

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Vive le difference I say, if you want to run your mud x’s all year round then go for it. Should you decide(like most people do) that one day you need more grip/cush/sidewall protection or less rolling resistance/weight/gnarr, then take comfort that there’s a tyre that will fit the bill. Ride and adjust(if you need to).

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Minions/High Rollers/Nobby Nics/Rubber Queens – all popular all-round UK choices. I tend to run the same tyres all year round, but would imagine that at most you’d need 4 types:

Mud – Medusa/Black Shark Mud/Mud King
    General Winter – Minion/Nobby Nic/Rubber Queen
    General Summer – Advantage/Racing Ralph/Race King
    Hardpack – High Roller Semi Slick/Sammy Slick/Twister Supersonic

darkcyan
    Free Member

Thanks all. I have several options but cbf to continuously change them – thats my fault i guess.

I have a seperate thread about fire xc pros going atm which are my three season default tyre – with go faster red stripe.

I do have some race tyres in the back of the shed but find they puncture easily – even the so called protection models.

I don’t ever think i will find the perfect model – maybe stick a high roller up front.

DC

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Rigid has rocket rons all year. Ragley has high roller/minion combo all year. Simples

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The simple solution is build up a retro rigid with skinny tyres for the mud and keep your wide tyres on your other bike. Either that or just ride whatever you have. I did that for years.

BrickMan

I used to just buy whatever the flavour of the month was at the time, and run ’em until they wore out, then if I liked them, buy more, if I didn’t, buy the next flavour of the month.

TBH in 15 years of biking the only tyres that have ever stuck in my mind were some WTB veloceraptor (F&R specific) from late 90s, they were fab. the rest have worn in and worn out.

Most recent were a pair of Schwalbe 2.4″ fat alberts that are supposed to be tubless ready, but they are so slack on the rim they came off (the FRONT!) even with 40psi in them wth a tube as well. No response from mftr either. Others are reporting various quality control & tolerance issues with Schwalbe tyres, So would steer clear of them for the time being!

stumpy01

Mate of mine has had Mud Xs on for as long as I can remember. Don’t seem to be wearing too badly and he is quick enough in most conditions – from Peak district to Wales to Thetford…he reckons that aren’t great on wet roots, but what Is?

Your mention of Fire XC is probably a valid one. Used to use them all the time…

mboy
    Free Member

Mate of mine has had Mud Xs on for as long as I can remember. Don’t seem to be wearing too badly

My mate forgot to take his Mud X’s off and put something faster on at the end of winter… 4 months on, they’re nearly bald!

he reckons that aren’t great on wet roots, but what Is?

Something wider, with a good profile and sticky(ish) rubber. Like 2.2″ Black Chili Rubber Queens! Sure, a wet root is a wet root, but try riding your local DH run littered in wet roots with Mud X’s fitted, then try again with Rubber Queens… I guarantee you’ll notice a big difference!

Ride what you like guys, it’s a free country and all, but if you’re sat at your keyboard mumbling “these idiots think a tyre makes a big difference, of course it doesn’t!” then you really need to try some decent ones… Or ride hard and fast enough to notice! Tyres are your only contact patch with the ground, it could be argued they are the single most important thing on the bike when it comes to how it will behave…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

hated mud-x.casing is made of tissue paper

I use Nobby nics all year,before that used Maxxix Ignitors.

Paceman
    Free Member

Mud-X’s have awful grip in the dry in my opinion, they give way too suddenly when the tall nobbles squirm under cornering, and are also slow rolling.

Some intermediate tyres are what you need for March-November, stick with the Fire-XC’s or High Rollers as you say. Running Mud-X’s all summer is just a huge compromise. You ride far too good a bike to put up with the wrong tyres Nick.

npunshon
    Free Member

I think in part it depends on what you want and your skill level, one of my mates can ride anything on any tyre but chooses to swap and change anyway where as i have very little skill and don’t have time to keep swapping tyres. To that end i have been trying loads of different tyres to find one that does perform in all conditions. Sadly for me i have tried pretty much every mainline tyre available but stumbled across bontrager xr4’s when i had a go on a test bike trek ex8 my mate had out. They are ok in mud, ok on wet roots, great on rock and roll really well…..so they are now my all year round tyres so no more sitting there the night before wondering what the weather is going to do to prompt a tyre change etc

nuke

Given our damp Summer its been Mud-X 2.1 on the front, ADvantage 2.1 on the rear on my XC bike, both setup tubeless. Roll very well imo. ADvantage on the rear as Mud-X do wear down a little faster. Good combination and one I’ll be staying with for rides on the north and south downs (Just did the SDW on this combination and it worked very well )

mattjg
    Free Member

one of my riding buddies runs Mud X all year very happily

my geared HT has Rons tubeless, fast as anything but way sloppy in the grease, CBA to change them

current plan is to leave that be and build a cheap SS on Mud X for the sloppy days

seasonal tyre changing doesn’t work as our weather is too variable (this year we had a dry winter with some brilliant frosty days, then wettest April on record …)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tired of tyres’ is closed to new replies.