• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bails.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tire combination??
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

It’s time I got some new rubber for my yeti. What tire combinations are folk using and finding work really well. I want some thing like 2.3\2.4 front and 2.2 rear still on 26″
    Suitable for all mtn stuff some downhill trail stuff and rocks???

Ta for any advice

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maxxis Minions

Tracey

We are running Specialized Butcher/Purgatory combination on all our bikes. Used for everything from Alps to Peak sludge. Using the Control versions and have never had a problem with a sidewall yet. Not bad on price and if you shop around there were some deals about on 26″ ones.

leftyboy
    Free Member

+1 Maxxis Minions

andybrad

so far trail kings are good for me. as har has dampfs but the latter are really hard work

jam-bo

right now? beaver 2.25 are working pretty well…

devash
    Free Member

Another vote for Butcher front / Purgatory rear. Both in 2.3 flavour. I switch the Purgatory to the front and put a Ground Control on the rear for drier weather though.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I have Butcher/Purg combo on my stumpy. I find the sidewalls on the Control a little too soft, but I’m a heavy bugger!

If your lighter they will be fine. I’m thinking of buying the same tyres, but the Grid casing.

Thing is with tyres, everyone is going to recommend what worked for them. It may not be the same terrain, or same weight etc.

dawson

Are Butcher a genuine 2.3?

I have an On-one Smogasbord 2.25 on the front and there isn’t much space

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just switched my Trail Kings for a pair of Minion DHR II’s. I quite liked the Trail Kings but the sidewalls aren’t up to much. The rear one has a few plugs / repairs.

A pair of Minion fronts works well but the original rear tyre (DHR) was rubbish.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Cheers guys I ended up getting a pair of pan xc pro 2.1 used them yrs ago thought I’d try em out again and at 20quid each end it’s not a prob if I put em on the hardtail if they aren’t up to it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Suitable for all mtn stuff some downhill trail stuff and rocks???

then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers guys I ended up getting a pair of pan xc pro 2.1 used them yrs ago thought I’d try em out again and at 20quid each end it’s not a prob if I put em on the hardtail if they aren’t up to it.

Backwards through the pearly gates on fire with bad cat aids, do not say we didn’t warn you!!!

Trimix
    Free Member

Yup, I’m laughing now at your impending tyre doom 🙂

dustytrails

I liked Pan Fire XC Pro’s back in the day on the old school hardtail….not sure I’d want them for AM/DH tho!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

haha maybe i rushed in, ill keep them for bikepacking duties and look at the maxxis :0)

bails

On One have (or had, anyway) 26″ Geax tyres really cheap. £5.99 for a Goma and the same for a Sagauro I think. The Goma is supposedly somewhere between a Rubber Queen and Mountain King (“Enduro specific”, apparently) and the Sagauro is more XC. I bought 2 of each to mix and match. not actually fitted them yet so can’t say if they’re any good but they were recommended by others off here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tire combination??’ is closed to new replies.