Tips to stop our dog barking…

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Tips to stop our dog barking…
  • johndoh

I have a similar problem with our dog, however she is fine when left alone (at least our neighbours tell us they never hear anything). However when she is in the garden whilst we are at home she barks every time someone walks down the ginnel that runs down the side of our house or if she hears people talking in the houses opposite.

I put it down to being protective to ‘her’ property. I hate it and try to dissuade her, but at the same time I wonder if I should because if she heard something outside at night when we are upstairs in bed I would want her to bark…

stevextc

However when she is in the garden whilst we are at home she barks every time someone walks down the ginnel that runs down the side of our house or if she hears people talking in the houses opposite.

She’s just doing her job…. How do you dissuade her ?

Really think about if your dissuading might be interpreted as “you’re not barking enough” or “i’m joining in” etc.

Essentially change this from her job is to chase them off to let you know and once you know she can be quiet.

but at the same time I wonder if I should because if she heard something outside at night when we are upstairs in bed I would want her to bark…

She’s probably smart enough to tell the difference and what you really want is her coming to tell you.

Premier Icon I_did_dab
    Subscriber

Someone local to us was woken by their terrier barking and running up and down stairs at 6 am in the morning. They told it to shut up and went back to sleep, then went downstairs to find their garage had been burgled.

donks

Our hound barks at people outside. It must be a warning/territorial thing I guess (she is partly German shepherd which are notoriously very vocal) but it’s like an explosion of noise. She literally goes into melt down and barks and howls until they have moved on. She also looses it if someone has the audacity to knock on the door or god forbid actually enter the house. The kids have hordes of mates round and we have to shut her away from the hall way until they have disappeared upstairs or she barks till the lights rattle and plaster starts dropping from the walls.

I would like a miracle, no years of hard training and effort required solution to this that doesn’t involve a sack, brick and the canal as it’s doing my head in now. I guess it’s a fear, defensive, or territorial position but my doggy psychology is non existent so I’m pretty much resorting to shouting … yes I know!

koldun

It’s probably separation anxiety. Your neighbor should be happy it’s not noisy kids 😀

I would seriously contemplate poisoning your dog if you told me that!  Either that or I’d play the ben johnson string quartet with the speaker pointing directly, at full pelt and on repeat, at your wall every time I went out! I’d be upgrading my sound system with you in mind regardless, the music may vary!

This. A few hours is a ridiculous amount of time to listen to that shit. And blaming dot and dab plaster board walls? What utter horse shit! 🤣

This would make a perfect daily mash story!

johndoh

Essentially change this from her job is to chase them off to let you know and once you know she can be quiet.

She’s probably smart enough to tell the difference and what you really want is her coming to tell you.

I started by shouting to her but realised it was counter-productive (the neighbours not only had a yapping dog to contend with, but my shouting too) so I now just call her and she (generally) then comes in. However I am not always right there to do it and she keeps barking until I do (eg, I might be in the garage at the front of the house where I can hear her, but I would then have to walk round. Or I might be in the shower and all I can hear is her barking).

Jakester

Our immediate neighbours have two terrier-type dogs. Every night, without fail, between 10.45pm and 11.45pm they will both go mental, growling, barking until their owner comes outside and shouts (at the top of her lungs) “[dog name]- shut up [dog name], shut up” for a few minutes.

It is most displeasing, and clearly annoying to the owners as well so I cannot understand why they don’t do something about whatever it is is setting them off. It’s not like it doesn’t happen EVERY night…

revs1972

Get that kid who likes kicking balls against walls round,

They’ll soon forget about the barking……

stevextc

my doggy psychology is non existent so I’m pretty much resorting to shouting … yes I know

It’s not that hard…. she shouts and you join in …(OK maybe more involved but think about it… )

I would like a miracle, no years of hard training and effort required solution

It depends how much “time and effort” you already spent… (and how old she is)

When I was a kid we used to have a full size Yorkie (30 lbs), he’d rip the head off any rodent he could catch.. then we got guinea pigs  … he learned to not only not rip there heads off but actually protect them surprisingly quickly… one of the old family tales was when the guinea pigs were out and he had his bonio and one of the guinea pigs just waltzed over and too it from him… and he just whined and looked sad.

For most of the time we had them the dog and guinea pigs were often in the house alone and the guinea pigs were in an open crate…

I don’t remember this being “hard work”…. nor any of the other family dogs as such… mostly it’s just been letting them know what is and is not their “job”….

TBH I don’t think any of us might have expected that…

gauss1777

Get that kid who likes kicking balls against walls round,

They’ll soon forget about the barking……

😂

30lb Yorkie sounds awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tips to stop our dog barking…’ is closed to new replies.