Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tips on Removing Fox Lowers
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Just in the process of removing the lowers on my Fox F-Series RLC’s to change the oil and replace the dust seals.
    Im falling at the first hurdle. Ive got the compression adjuster off at the bottom of the leg, removed the nut and crush washer and tapped the internals (with the nut on) so that they are free, however Im struggling to get the air chamber side to move, daren’t clout it too hard.
    I haven’t let the air out (should I?) and I have tried it with and without lockout to see if that would aid the situation.

On a second note I was under the impression the the nuts on the bottom would be pretty tight and the crush washed ‘squashed’. They were only just more than finger tight, this cant be right surely……….the old crush washers are identical to the new ones, if they come in the pack with the dust seals I would have expected them to be mishaped.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

stayhigh

Heres a flyer from Mojo that might help:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/media%20pix/ForkFlyerWeb.pdf

I cant remember off the top of my head if you have to let the air out or not, its been a while 😳

Best bet would be check out the fox tech centre.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for that Stayhigh. That’s the steps I was taking. Watching the video on the Mojo site, they don’t let the air out before the y start and once it’s back together his forks cycles through as normal (with air).

On the Fox Tech Centre they only show how to do a Full service, which involves a full strip down of the air chamber and internals which obviously negates letting the air out.

Should I give it some more welly?

seanodav
    Free Member

leave a socket on the nut and hit it harder with rubber mallet

Stevo210
    Free Member

Harder eh…..I’ll go and give it another go.

ruscle
    Free Member

I always let the air out, hit it harder and the washer should be crushed as in the name, should be tightened to around 5-6Nm, I forget the precise torque. Have fun, reminds me mine need doing

Stevo210
    Free Member

right hitting harder does nothing only knock the anodising of the end nuts 🙁
    Ive let the air out and it went first time 🙂

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Next problem, after removing the lowers and the dust seals I noticed there was an ‘o’ ring inside the air side leg (half way up spinning around)…..any clues on where this should sit. Im guessing on the internals somewhere?

It has cut outs in the edge of it which match cutouts inside the other leg, right down in the bottom.

Has it been put in to the wrong leg last time it was serviced?

stayhigh

I’ll take a pass on that one matey. It could be worth your while to look for a user called Loco who runs a suspension shop. If you drop him a line he may be able to help more.

HTH 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

I have Talas forks and these are the bottom out spacers, their are 1 in each leg on my forks and they just sit at the bottom of each lower leg. Fox lowers are generic so it maybe that you will only use 1 on your forks being floats, but can’t be sure as not serviced any floats myself. I would service them as planned, put it back in the leg you found it then enquire with Mojo on monday about this as they are good for advice, then if you need another 1 or its in the wrong leg its not a difficult switch.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll put it back in the leg it came out of and get on touch with Loco or Mojo 🙂
    They were serviced in January by Mojo, so I wouldnt have thought they’d have done it wrong.
    Good to know what they are though….thankyou.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tips on Removing Fox Lowers’ is closed to new replies.