Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tips for starting kids off Climbing.
  • lowey

Right, use to do a bit years and years ago with my old fella, but my 2 daughters have expressed and interest in starting climbing. They have had a go at a couple of climbing walls up in the lakes, the eldest being especially graceful.

However I have no idea how best to get them started. Climbing for me is out of the question as it now scares the bejesus out of me.

Can anyone recommend a good way to start ? are there climbing clubs ? do they accept beginners ?

Cheers all.

antigee

Where are you? I know Leeds Wall and at least one of the Sheffield Walls has sat am “lizards” club
    google BMC for a full list of climbing walls
    our kids like bouldering walls as well – but i’m not sure if can sign up to supervise them without claiming experience – walls are helpful they want punters

lowey

Bolton.

sq225917
    Free Member

Most walls will let kids over 5 climb supervised by parent or responsible adult, certainly all the Sheffield ones do, and there’s millions of them here.

wors

There is a climbing wall at bolton lads and girls club mate, give em a call.

lowey

Most walls will let kids over 5 climb supervised by parent or responsible adult,

You see thats the drawback. I wouldn’t have a clue how to supervise them… I have a basic understanding of rope technique, but not good enough to trust my kids with. I was kind of hoping that there are some clubs that welcome youngsters and show them the ropes (no pun intended).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any decent climbing wall should take kids. Surely you can belay? If not, then get them to do sessions at your local wall where they’ll teach them to tie knots and belay. As long as you can tie a double figure of eight and use a stitchplate or grigri, that’s all you need.

Junkyard
    Free Member

[Quote] As long as you can tie a double figure of eight and use a stitchplate or grigri, that’s all you need. [/Quote]

They are in safe hands then and an easy sell to the wife Lowey …easy sell indeed

Sandwich

Try your local club for advice. The BMC affiliated club list is here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They are in safe hands then and an easy sell to the wife Lowey …easy sell indeed

Eh? Did me say sumfink wrong?

polarisandy
    Free Member

second hand shoes from fishers
    full body harness

wall with local instructor/climbing friend, they learn to climb on a top rope, you learn to belay/supervise.
    top roped outdoor climbs with instructor/friend-you learn how to set up a top rope(+climb) and they get to climb.

See if they’re liking it, see if you fancy taking it on.

If all well then top rope them till ready for lead climbing, and get instructor/friend back in.

EVMC, eden valley mountaineering club is good.
    Where about’s in lakes are you.

I may be able to give you some names.

lowey

Where about’s in lakes are you.

Wish I was… I;m in Bolton.

That all sounds great but for one thing, I’m shit scared of heights.

Do you guys know if the climbing walls hire gear out ?.

I was at a gymnastics comp at West View in Preston the other week and they have a massive room full of walls. Think I’ll give them a call.

Keep the tips coming pls.

DavidB
    Free Member

My son’s climbing wall ran a club called “Cliffhangers” where they were gently introduced to the sport by instructors, but also coached by peers.

It was good for him for a while and he enjoyed it at first but soon realised it wasn’t his sport (bit of a short arse, not so good with heights). Don’t go pissing cash on it until you are sure they are interested.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tips for starting kids off Climbing.’ is closed to new replies.