Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tips for repairing tyre sidewalls?
  • PolisherMan

Got a nearly new Bonty XR4. I thought when I bought them that the sides looked thin, but they are an ace tyre (well I think so). 😉

The tear is about 20mm lomg and the tube is just bulging. I’ve been recommended old inner tube and superglue as an inside patch. Is it worth it?

schmiken

It is, but maybe try sewing the tyre back together for a gash that long just to stop the patch pulling off.

d45yth
    Free Member

A curved needle and dental floss are what you need.

muddyman
    Free Member

You could try 2 smallest sized cable ties !Make 4 small holes (depending on the size of tear ) in two positions above and below the tear .Then thread the cable ties through your new holes effectively stitching the tear together .Inflate the tube before cranking the cable ties and with a bit of jiggery pokery you can get a nice neat stitch !Obviously you have to have the cable tie lock bits on the outside so as not to puncture the innertube .Worked for me actualy looks quite neat too.

Bolt

Use a piece of sidewall from an old tyre and glue it in. It doesn’t stretch like a tube.

Bolt

Potdog
    Free Member

Use a piece of sidewall from an old tyre and glue it in. It doesn’t stretch like a tube.

Bolt

Used that one myself on a 1 ride old Specialized Captain. It’s still going strong a good few rides later.

shortcut

Anyone just used duct tape? On the inside.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah can’t use innertube, too stretchy. good cloth tape sounds like a go-er. i’ve found superglue sticks well for small tears and such, but not 20mm on its own.

amt27
    Free Member

in the past I have glued a thin piece of flexible plastic (like a race number) in between the tyre wall and another piece of sidewall cut from an old tyre,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tips for repairing tyre sidewalls?’ is closed to new replies.