Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tips for opening a powerlink (9 speed)
  • geoffj

HTF are you supposed to open them once they are on the chain?
    Tips please, before I remove the rest of the skin from all my knuckles. 👿

jedi

squeeze both sides and touch thumbs

RealMan
    Free Member

Buy a connex one from wiggle.

/thread

Militant_biker

I used to use a big pair of pliers at an angle, so each jaw contacted diagonally opposite ends of the link. That always worked for me.

There are special pliers you can get too.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Pipe wrench diagonally across them.Pliers will do it.

fadda

Yeah, Geoff – what jedi said.

Took me months of skinless fingers before I learnt that you’re supposed to squeeze the plates together before the slide!

geoffj

How do you mean Jedi? (sorry for being a bit thick)

ltheisinger
    Free Member

If its being tricky then I hold the chain either side of the powerlink and bend the chain towards me whilst lightly pushing together….

Mmmm? That wasn’t easy to explain and I don’t even know if you know what I mean now! 😕

jedi

squeeze the plates together with thumbs/forefingers then touch your thumbs togtehr which slides them apart

geoffj

Thanks guys – I’ll try both the squeezing / bending and the diagonal pliers.

I should have said it was a KMC one that I was removing – not sure if that makes a difference?

scaredypants

bit of bent coat hanger wire works for me – nice & light for the backpack

rOcKeTdOg

connex ones are a lot easier to do than sram, but jedi’s method works

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

the hole is like the figure 8 but on it’s side and the pin that goes into the hole has a little grove in it, to make it “thin” enough to pass back though the 8 to open it.
    And to do this as stated above is squeeze the plate/pins togther then slide you hands together.

kimbers

make sure the chain is clean grit in there can make them jam up

RustyMac

If you are still having trouble, get an old length of break or gear cable inner, loop through the powerlink then cross it. Pull on the ends and it will pull the edges of the link together for you.

If it is really stiff spray with wd40, gt85 or the like and put on a pair of gardening gloves. This trick works on even the rustiest of chains.

rondo101
    Free Member

I find taking the tension out of the chain by holding the dérailleur slack with your foot helps. Move the chain so the links make a “Z” shape, with the powerlink vertical. Squeeze the links together with thumb & forefinger of one hand and with the other push up one side with your forefinger and down on the other with your thumb.

First time I tried it must’ve taken me half an hour (and much swearing). Gets easier with practice!

sockpuppet

do you have a new one, or a clean spare, to practice with?

makes much more sense when you can see what’s going on, and without all the crud.

squeeze, then slide…

psychle
    Free Member

£10 from CRC… buy ’em and be happy forever! 8)

MrKmkII
    Free Member

crikey, it takes me about three seconds. make sure you try and disconnect with the link ABOVE the chainstay – this means you don’t have the rear mech trying to pull the chain which’ll make it trickier.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    make sure the chain is clean grit in there can make them jam up

I don’t have a problem undoing these links, but agree with them being clean before trying – that is what makes them difficult to undo IMHO.

accu
    Free Member

+1 for the connex link….even on a nightride with frozen fingers easy to open…

Stripe
    Free Member

if they’ve been on a while or been abused they can be a tad stiff!
    Push the link up into an ‘n’ position, then using pliers
    diagionally across the end plates on the solid pin side of
    the link – press…… Job done.

Russell96

Make sure there is no dirt in it, gentle squeeze and slide it sideways, your a man that sort of mechanism should be second nature.

Zoolander
    Free Member

There’s a knack fir sure but once you’ve got it they are pretty easy. They get a bit easier the older the chain I always find. One thing that sometimes helps is if you are finding it tough – turn the cranks until the link is on the bottom run of the chain ( by the mech) there’s a bit more give in the chain then.

0range5

I’ve found it’s a bit random how easy they undo. Some brands are easier than others but even with the same brand sometimes they seem to be easy other times not. A filthy chain will make it harder. Most of the advice above is good, all I’d add is to work the link a bit before you try to undo it. Flex the chain side to side a bit, then try one/all of the methods above, whichever works best.

spooky_b329

Its all very well posting the pic of the tool, but thats only really a solution if you are planning on taking it on all your rides.

If you are removing the chain to fit a new one, practise on the new one which will be easier, but still needs the same technique. If its a Shimano chain, buy another powerlink as you can still use it with Shimano rather than their stupid black pins.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

anjs
    Free Member

Paceman
    Free Member

Is the ConneX link fully compatible with SRAM and Shimano chains?

The design look simpler to use in photos and user reports suggest as much.

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ buying a tool to open the links!

warpcow
    Free Member

Is the ConneX link fully compatible with SRAM and Shimano chains?

I’m using one on a SRAM chain right now. The only thing you need to worry about with the Connex link is that you get it on the right way round. It can skip a little if the outer plate doesn’t have the curve going the right way.

scaredypants

allthepies – Member
    lol @ buying a tool to open the links!

using some kind of tool (like some wire), esp in winter, beats hands/gloves covered in oil & shite half way round a ride

Scamper
    Free Member

Bit of GT85 or something to get out the grit and then flex the link. At the same time as flexing slide thumb across the power link.

Or:

Both index fingers `behind’ the chain, one of then in the centre of the link and both thumbs in front of the chain with the chain running through your palms. Use one thumb to press the link inwards against your finger, and slide the other thumb across link until it touches your other thumb.

geoffj

Part of the problem for me is that I have a spazzy thumb. As I can use pliers in the garage as long as I take a chain tool and spare links with me on the ride (I have no problem fitting them), I should be OK.

I’ll try the bit of wire thing too.

theotherjonv

Few things to know things.

1/ There is a knack, and it’s surprisingly like one handed bra undoing. Practice on an unloaded one (powerlink, I mean) and you’ll soon get the idea. Until you have sussed the method, you’ll fumble around with no idea and look an amateur. Annoying with powerlinks; with bras….. no-one wants that.

2/ The method as said requires you to push the side plates together, so if the chain is gritty it might foul this part. Give it a clean first or if on the trail a squirt from the waterbottle

3/ new powerlinks are the worst. i reckon from the packet, the waist of the figure 8 hole is a little tight and narrow due to the pointy-in bits being quite sharp. before using one for the first time therefore I fiddle them a bit before putting them on the chain to wear them down a tiny bit. Sounds daft but works for me.

Excellent, bras, pointy bits and fumbling in one post. Could be fourth form again…….

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Those pliers are one of the best tools i have bought!

dave_aber
    Free Member

I used to find these impossible to open. Devised all sorts of methods, using long nosed pliers, bits of cable, hammers, etc.

Went to undo one with just my hands one day, and mentioned to Devs that these are always impossible to disconnect. His 2-word advice was spot on, as usual, and the link just come apart without really thinking about how I had managed it.

The advice? – “think bra”

If you can undo one of them one-handed, then a power link should be easy.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tips for opening a powerlink (9 speed)’ is closed to new replies.