Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Tips for a week on Lewis & Harris trip in May
  • lowey

If your on facebook there is a very helpful group called Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers. really useful for finding wildcamp spots.

whitestone
    Free Member

Have a wander into Glen Uladale to look/gawp at the steepest cliff in Britain.

ElShalimo

Thanks!

ElShalimo

Holy Thread resurrection Batman !

We didn’t make it last year as we just stayed on Uist for a week. We’re thinking of going in early September to Harris and Lewis.
    Has anyone been recently?
    Are the campsites/wild camp spots overrun?
    Are the cafes/pubs open ?

ElShalimo

Morning bump

ElShalimo

Anyone?

scotroutes

Just been speaking to some friends on their way back from their house in Shawbost.

Yes, there are lots of campervans/motorhomes around,  but it’s not as jam-packed as the NC500 etc.

Some sites are open, others (e.g. Horgabost) have taken the decision to remain closed.

Cafes/pubs are mostly open, following the usual social distancing guidelines.

epicyclo

dienamic
    But, the absolute best camping spot is Huisinis Gateway. The drive along a 10+ mile singletrack road is breathtaking, and eventually leads to Huisinis beach.

My family used to live on Scarp. My grandfather and his brothers used to swim across to Harris when they were lads.

I think it’s mentioned in a book on Scarp.

ElShalimo

@scotroutes – thanks. We’re hoping to go in early September and that it will be a bit quieter then. Mostly staying on sites in the van but with a couple of nights responsible “wild” camping

ElShalimo

Thanks to everyone who helped especially @scotroutes.

We had a week up there in early Sept and it was fab (despite the seemingly 40mph winds).

Lewis
    The site at Shawbost was good and the owners really nice and helpful. Callanish stones were very moody in the torrential rain but still pretty busy.
    Uig was lovely and the food at Uig Sands was really nice!! You can can sleep outside in your campervan if you pre-book with them. The iron age buildings and beach at Bostadh on Great Berenera were amazing. Interesting tidal bell sculpture there too.

Harris
    Luskentyre was nice but it was so busy, I was really shocked. The road to Huisinish was a bit scary in awful weather but worth it with the walk over to Traigh Mheilein. The Harris Trust motorhome pitches are in such an amazing location. The drive out of there in nice weather is pretty straight forward though.
    The Golden Road was simply stunning and we managed to do it on a sunny day with light winds (15mph).

With the winds being so string most of the time we didn’t get to walk up any big hills whilst there but they’ll still be there next time..

The campsites we stayed on at Shawbost and Seilibost didn’t have open toilet/shower/pot washing facilities but if you’re self-contained you can get by.   From what we saw, the majority of people were camping responsibly but there are always people who know better and do whatever they want.

kcal

Just back from a week’s stay on Harris last week. It was return for me but first for Mrs kcal. Not auspicious weather but what a location! Expected to be inside for at least one day but managed out every day, all day. Weren’t relying on cafes and eating out, which was useful. Didn’t manage along to Huishnish, but did manage eagle glen and the next long as well. East coast as stunning and bleak as I recalled.

ElShalimo

Lots of cafes were shut when we were there. Tall na Mara was very good though. Also, the Croft36 bakery in South Harris was amazing. I wish we had something like that near us!

Re: eagles, we walked into the hide up Gleann Mhiabhaig and managed to very briefly see 2 juvenile Golden Eagles. It was a minor disappointment after being sat in the van having a sandwich near Barvas a few days earlier watching 2 large juveniles playing around in the wind for at least 15mins.

zippykona

This thread needs more pictures.

ElShalimo

Bostadh beach on Great Berenera

Uig beach

Traigh Mheilein

Golden Road

Luskentyre and Harris hills  from Seilbost

Croft36, Northton

Weather…

giant_scum
    Free Member

We were up the second week of October.
    Again we were expecting to have at least one day of bad weather.
    Ended up we had better weather than my friends who were there in July!

Definitely one of the most visually stunnnig places I’ve ever visited, the stars at night and the lack of background noise from cars and the like was great.
    Stayed over at Baltos which is a fair old drive from Stornaway.
    Loads of beach walks, Eagle Glen (visitor book is hilarious), Butt of Lewis, Stornaway, Harris, etc.
    Very little open self-reliant for lunches etc. Did visit Taste ‘n Sea on the road to Harris.
    Was surprised at how good the roads were on the island.
    Will definitely visit again, but think we might try North Uist etc next year!

Only downside was we got the self isolate notice from NHS Protect when we returned so we must have been in ‘close’ contact with somebody on our journey home.
    Ah well, I’ll just have the whole month of October off then!

kcal

hah – I think our trip (first week of October) – was sandwiched between two stunning weeks – weather was mixed, but at least the rain didn’t hang around, wait 10 minutes for it to blow through and be fair for another two hours, and repeat..

Definitely whetted my appetite to return, and soon (at leats, not wait 10 years or 40).

ElShalimo

We had quite poor weather but when it was okay we made the best of it

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tips for a week on Lewis & Harris trip in May’ is closed to new replies.