Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tips and tricks
  • oreetmon
    Free Member

Just used a lonely sock over my hand dipped in IPA to clean my rotors, allowed me to get fingers round the disc without loosing any of them in the spokes…… Mate thought it a brilliant idea?, I thought it was normal practice. I have lots of little things like this that I do in order to avoid paying for fancy sihte (disc brake wipes🙄)

Interested to know yours

akira

As an added hint, if you sit on your hand for a while it’s like someone else is cleaning your rotors.

timidwheeler

Lol.

Poopscoop

Lol @akira 😁

nwmlarge
    Free Member

lol

I generally spray the rotors with IPA then let it dry and then torch them with a mini gas gun to burn off any residue left behind.

No geese on my rides.

stevied
    Free Member

I fixed a hole in a tyre that was too big to seal with Stan’s by using the lumpy end of a cable tie.
    Poked through the hole from the inside & snipped off from the outside.
    Lasted over 3 months and was still in place when I changed the tyre.

joemmo
    Free Member

I generally spray the rotors with IPA

I prefer a ruby stout, it has lovely notes of toasted berries when it burns.

Drac

Or just use a cloth

Twodogs

I have never felt the need to clean my rotors

Trimix
    Free Member

The lonley sock idea is good, till you then find another matching lonley sock the next day 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ah a ghost wannnnk

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Which IPA for cleaning rotors?

Olde English Empire Style?
    West Coast American?
    Hazy Juicy New England?
    With added Yuzu to add grease-cutting citrus?

joemmo
    Free Member

I find that a bra makes an excellent dual sided tyre cleaner, just make sure it is unoccupied before use.

DezB
    Free Member

I found a waist band cord out of an old pair of pyjamas (don’t ask) made a good betwixt the cogs cassette cleaner.

Plus a pair of old y-fronts on the head to avoid getting bits of dirt in your hair whilst washing the bike.

I did actually once stand my forks in some trainers [edit]cycling shoes to stop the ends getting scratched when the front wheel was removed.
    (found a pic:
    )

I wonder which article of clothing hasn’t found a use in the maintenance of bicycles…

jedi

People clean their rotors?? Who knew

Bez

Yeah, I’ve got brake pads to do that.

The fork with shoes reminds me of this:

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, i think my shoe usage was slightly more practical

sirromj

I found a waist band cord out of an old pair of pyjamas (don’t ask) made a good betwixt the cogs cassette cleaner.

Pah, NHS cutlery far superior.

maccruiskeen

Plus a pair of old y-fronts on the head

Goes well with the cape and tight shorts

ta11pau1

I did actually once stand my forks in some trainers [edit]cycling shoes to stop the ends getting scratched when the front wheel was removed.
    (found a pic:
    )

I wonder which article of clothing hasn’t found a use in the maintenance of bicycles…

That’s not a bad idea, I take the front wheel off my bike to fit it in the car, when I’m at the trails it’s either top of the brake clamps that get scratched, or the rebound adjuster/bottom of the fork. Unless you do the old juggling act of trying to hold the bike with one hand whilst fitting the front wheel with the other…

senorj

” a pair of old y-fronts on the head to avoid getting bits of dirt in your hair whilst washing the bike”

Awesome. Like wtAf. Pics please.
    🙂

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

@akira alternatively, sit on the rotor for ten minutes and it feels like your cleaning someone elses.

chakaping
    Free Member

I put the rotors in the dishwasher now and then.

maccruiskeen

An old pair of y-fronts will only stop you getting bits of dirt in your hair if you’ve previously shaved the bits of your head where the leg-holes are.

Makes for interesting tan lines through.

Is this how you’d hoped the thread would go OP?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If worried about leaving my car in a huge parking area at a festival or the like and being unable to easily find it on my return I let all the air out of the tyres. Voila! My car is now lower than everyone else’s.

slowoldman

But that means you won’t be able to see it.

mechanicaldope

Roadies: if you want the trendy gravel bike experience but are too scared to ride off road, try gluing rice crispies to your tyres for that authentic gravel crunch.

(Thank you Vis from 25yrs ago…)

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, my god, you abandon a thread and this is what happens. Tears rolling down my cheeks at the gravel biking tip. Superb! 😆

IdleJon

I find that a bra makes an excellent dual sided tyre cleaner, just make sure it is unoccupied before use.

It would clean the tyres better if it was filled, surely?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tips and tricks’ is closed to new replies.