Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tipping the driver (Amazon content)
  • vinnyeh

I’ve just used the ‘Amazon Now’ app for the first time- there’s a £2 tip added on for the delivery driver by default. 😕

I now feel guilty for removing it, but wtf- this is just Amazon trying to offset some of the delivery costs (wages), without having to pay the actual costs associated with paying wages (NI, tax etc).
    I’m a big user of Amazon, but this is really unfair- a bit like saying “pay what you think the service is worth”.
    How long before HMRC cracks down on this?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve got a tip for the muppet Hermes driver who refused to move to the middle lane thusly allowing traffic to enter the motorway, despite looking at me twice and ther being no other traffic! 👿

Flaperon

I’ve got a tip for the muppet Hermes driver who refused to move to the middle lane thusly allowing traffic to enter the motorway, despite looking at me twice and ther being no other traffic!

Those broken lines on the slip road are “give way” markings… agreed, not particularly considerate but not his problem.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Those broken lines on the slip road are “give way” markings… agreed, not particularly considerate but not his problem.

Yes, yes, yes, and it’s a question of courtesy and he is obviously a discourteous muppet. Is that better for you?

footflaps

I now feel guilty for removing it, but wtf- this is just Amazon trying to offset some of the delivery costs (wages), without having to pay the actual costs associated with paying wages (NI, tax etc).

basically yes.

All large companies seem to spend a lot of effort gaming the tax system.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you have an issue with it, don’t pay

Moses

If you’re in when he calls, give it him directly

xora

Yes its very American in its underhandedness, tips in the USA are basically an extra 20% tax on price of everything. Just used so businesses can pretend a lower price! This culture is spreading to UK 🙁

xora

And this, that way he stands a chance to actually get it!

revs1972
    Free Member

Or just leave it on the doorstep and hope no passers by steal it

scruff9252

Or leave it in the wheely bin but don’t leave a note to advise! 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

or leave it on someone else’s doorstep and don’t bother leaving a note

tthew

Yes its very American in its underhandedness, tips in the USA are basically an extra 20% tax on price of everything. Just used so businesses can pretend a lower price! This culture is spreading to UK

I really dislike the gratuity added to the bill thing. Either I get them to remove it and leave cash, or pay it, (assuming a reasonable percentage) and don’t.

How many pay it and leave a tip though? I bet it’s quite high.

irc

What bothers me about the tip system is that most places seem to pool tips. So there is little point rewarding extra good service with an extra big tip because the person who served you won’t get it. Two of my kids have recent experience of the way tips are dealt with in pubs and restaurants from the staff side. It varies but can often be unfair with little transparency and management skimming a fair amount off.

As for tipping delivery drivers? Nope. Happy to pay an appropriate amount for delivery. If a company offers free delivery as sales tool that’s their call and doesn’t transfer the onus to pay the driver on to me.

jonnyboi

It would never had occurred to me that a delivery driver needed tipping. What do Amazon drivers do to warrant it, apart from being pretty badly treated by their employer already it seems.

jam-bo

Yes its very American in its underhandedness, tips in the USA are basically an extra 20% tax on price of everything. Just used so businesses can pretend a lower price! This culture is spreading to UK

I hate eating out in the states. can’t go more that about 2 minutes without interrupted for some good ol’ customer service.

**** off and let me eat my dinner!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tipping the driver (Amazon content)’ is closed to new replies.