• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tiny chip in fork stanchion
  • iainc

Noticed today when cleaning, Fox 34s. It’s on the rear about 30mm above the wiper. It is absolutely tiny, maybe a mm wide and less deep. Have given it a wee smooth with the back of a teaspoon and tempted to do not more, as don’t want to add to any problem. What is the reckoning, is it likely to impact seals or anything ? Fork was serviced the other day and this was first ride since, so all is nicely lubed and juicy !

steve_b77
    Free Member

Doubt it, you’ll notice if you start losing air pretty easily.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve have one of those for years on my 66s. Hasn’t affected anything.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Sounds encouraging, thanks for replies

bsims
    Free Member

The 0.57% increase in friction will cause a fire, get rid now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A spoon? 😂

iainc

^^^^ yep, been discussed on here before, back of a teaspoon rubs off any wee edges without damaging any coatings.

bsims
    Free Member

File off the burr and then sand down to a smooth finish?

iainc

^^^^^ I would if a bigger or deeper one, this is like a pinhead size so any intervention will I think make it bigger, possibly making a problem out of a nothing..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge

Subscriber
    A spoon?

Waaaaaaah!!!!

iainc

Nobeer is more of a fork than a spoon….

bsims
    Free Member

^^^^^ I would if a bigger or deeper one, this is like a pinhead size so any intervention will I think make it bigger, possibly making a problem out of a nothing..

Fair enough, I have a small mark caused by dropping the bike on gravel, it’s about half way up the stanchion on a x fusion rl2. Lbs did a lower fork service and said the seals were fine and not worth replacing about 2 years after the chip.

iainc

Useful to know, thanks.

Poopscoop

Put a tiny bit of clear nail varnish in the “hole” with the end of a toothpick or such.

rickon
    Free Member

Doubt it, you’ll notice if you start losing air pretty easily.

The wiper seals don’t hold the air in, well, there shouldn’t be air that’s not at ambient pressure in the lowers. So you won’t notice air escaping, even if you had a huge scratch.

The risk is dirt migrating into the wipers and then destroying the stanchions, and then more dirt getting into the lowers, and making everything that little bit worse – which could eventually lead to air leaks.

For a proper fix, lacquer the scratch, and wet and dry it down. Or, you can send it off to someone like J-tech who’ll do it for you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The wiper seals don’t hold the air in

This.

philjunior
    Free Member

You can put a blob of your nail varnish on it, to just fill in the hole so the wiper goes over it more easily. This works best with black stanchions where you can easily get your nail varnish from emo days, but I’m sure your extensive collection includes some Kashima matching gold, if not go clear.

You’ll notice a line of cack left on the fork leg in line with it if it does manage to nick your seals.

bruneep

I used layers of super glue and rubbed down with fine wet and dry.

iainc

All good, cheers, will try a blob of nail varnish !

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tiny chip in fork stanchion’ is closed to new replies.