Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • tinnitus – ring ears
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Anyone have any custom made ear plugs? Just wondering how “descrete” they can be. All the ones I’ve seen/used so far stick out and are easily spotted a mile off.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Try Etymotic Research for “discrete” custom earplugs.

The music industry have been using them for years.

Nipper99
    Free Member

had mine for about 8 years after a sinus infection. See the British Tinnitus Association web site which has useful info.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toys19
    Free Member

I had/have tiniitus from a year in my early 20’s as a rep, high speed motorway journeys with the window open and radio blasting wayfarers on…

Anyhooooo it bugged me really badly for about a year until I found out about this american doc who did double blind research with tinnitus sufferers and non tinnitus sufferers. He put them in soundproof rooms and played random noises at random levels, and found no correlation between sufferers and hearing npise, in fact lots of non sufferers reported noises when there were non and vice versa. So he came up wtih “retraining therapy” where he showed people this effect and convinced them that all people have ringing/noises it just some have been made aware of them due to damage or infection etc.

The upshot being that I essentially trained myself to filter it out and I can actually turn it on or off at will.

How? Embrace the noise, trey and love it, look for it, expect it, be happpy when you hear it, one morning you will wake up and it wont be there.

OK. If this all sounds like a load of crap, and maybe it is, but it worked for me, comprehensively. I’m a scientist, and really only respond to evidence, I read this guys research and the evidence was there, the rest was up to my own interpretation.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get some Elacin ER15 best earplugs going for gigs concerts etc, trust me I’m an audiologist and my clients swear by them, otherwise risk being left with the ringing on a permanent basis.

toys19
    Free Member

Reseach I talked about up there was called the heller and bergman experiment, you can download the paper from 1953 on http://www.tinnitus.org

organic355
    Free Member

OK its been 5 days now and I still have a high pitched “pinging” tone in my left ear, the one that was facing the speakers. I dont hear it during the day, but notice it when I try to go to sleep.

Thinking I need to go to the Docs?

prettygreenparrot

Custom earplugs tend to look like classic ‘deaf aids’. They do, however, rock! I have some custom Ultimate Ears earphones that I have never regretted getting. Going to a gig, you’ll find that EAR (brand) musicians’ ear plugs work well. You get all the sound with none of the pain and little of the damage. I recently got some of these after I lost a pair of EAR plugs.

prettygreenparrot

you can go to the doc, but you’ll never get the hearing back. UK Tinnitus association Going gigging? These folks want to help RNID

prettygreenparrot

That heller & bergman experiment is cited a bit. It also seems to be an experiment of its time. The stats seem rudimentary and in the table of results it looks like there’s a difference in what the subjects ‘heard’ that isn’t readily accounted for in the summary results. The conclusion seems fair though “Tinnitus, which is subaudible, may be a physiological phenomenon in an intact auditory apparatus.“. ie Hearing impaired and unimpaired folks hear noises.

robdob
    Free Member

A friend of mine is a professional sound engineer and an accomplished guitarist. He was taught at a young age to always wear earplugs or good quality ear monitors. As it is his business he cannot afford to have his hearing deterIorate any more than the ageing process naturally does.
    He wears some very expensive custome made ear monitors (£800 I think) which are natural coloured (matched to his skin colour!) and expensive earplugs at other times.
    He always says that one severe moment of feedback could wreck his hearing enough to make it difficult to run his business and certainly hold his guitar playing back.
    Standing next to the speaker stacks at a gig is stupid or playing in a band without ear protection equally so.
    Phil Collins can now barely play the drums now he has such severe hearing damage and Pete Townsend has severe tinnitus which he puts down to an pyrotechnic explosion at a gig that went wrong and years of loud headphone use.
    EDIT Phil Collins actually can’t play due to hearing loss via a viral infection and a back problem. I’m sure I heard an interview with him that said it was due to loud drums but I may have been mistaken.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘tinnitus – ring ears’ is closed to new replies.