Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tina Turner RIP
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    Ambrose

She was part of my childhood soundtrack 😞

tomhoward

Simply At Rest?

ads678

Amazing woman. RIP. 😔

zippykona

For some reason she was the voice of Friday night rugby league in Australia.

hightensionline

What a voice, what a life.

db

My dad was a fan so a Tina LP playing was part of my childhood.

RIP

aide

I can’t help but see this now everytime I think of Tina Turner (hope link works)

Limmys show has spoiled me for sure.

RIP Tina, you did have some good tunes

nbt

For some reason she was the voice of Friday night rugby league in Australia

The NRL licensed “Simply The Best” for their advertising. Superb move, i always thought other sports must have been cursing that they didn’t get it.

Soundtrack to a lot of my life. Rip

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Private dancer LP, what a classic.

scotroutes

Ah boo. She could do a great live show too. Real character.

frankconway

Simply – the best.
    RIP.

malv173
    Free Member

I got to see her perform Simply the Best at Don Valley Stadium (also no longer with us) here in Sheffield. It was just before the start of my first bit of work here, cleaning the stadium after her gig. She was bloody awesome!

RIP.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was younger I always wanted to think of her as some old fashioned cheesy singer but every time I hear one of her songs I think ‘wow, that’s good’.

reeksy

She’s gone Beyond the Thunderdome in the sky.

redmex
    Free Member

I saw her at Hampden Park way back 2020 and would have turned 60, how she managed to dance with backing singers half her age and sing shows how fit she was
    I like her early stuff with Ike as well as the Heaven 17 guys in the 80’s

redmex
    Free Member

2000 predictive text there

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP Private Dancer.

danposs86

For some reason, I thought she had already passed, so I was more surprised to find out she has only just died yesterday!

racefaceec90

i was thinking of her just recently (i love her music and grew up listening to a double live album on cassette from the 80’s) also love beyond thunderdome. she was awesome at both singing and acting.

rip tina turner 🙁

Cougar

When Tina Turner left her first husband – who was also her boss, captor, and brutal tormentor – she snuck out of their Dallas hotel room with a single thought in her mind: “The way out is through the door.”

From there she fled across the midnight freeway, semi-trucks careening past her, with 36 cents and a Mobil gas card in her pocket. As soon as she decided to walk out that door, she owned nothing else.

When she filed for divorce, she made an unusual request. She didn’t want anything: not the song rights, not the cars, not the houses, not the money. All she wanted was the stage name he gave her – Tina – and her married name – Turner. This was the name by which the world had come to know her, and keeping it was her only chance to salvage her career.

Things could have gone a lot of ways from there. She could have labored in obscurity for decades, maybe making records on small labels to be prized by vinyl connoisseurs in Portland. She could have stayed in Vegas, where she first went to get her chops back up, and worked as a nostalgia act. And, of course, given what she had been through, she might have … not made it.

What happened instead is that Tina Turner became the biggest global rock star of the 80s. I’m old enough to barely remember this, but if you aren’t, it was like this: The Rolling Stones would headline a stadium one day, and the next day it would be Tina Turner. A middle-aged Black woman – she became a rock star at 42! – sitting atop the 1980s like it was her throne.

She managed this because of whatever rare stuff she was made of (this is a woman whose label gave her two weeks to record her solo breakthrough, Private Dancer, which went five times platinum); because she decided to speak publicly about her abusive marriage and forge her own identity, and in doing so give hope and courage to countless women; and also because – in a perhaps unlikely twist for a girl from Nutbush, Tennessee – she had her practice of Soka Gakkai Nichiren Buddhism, to which she credited her survival. She remained devout until the end.

Tina’s second marriage – to her, her only marriage – was to Erwin Bach, a Swiss music executive 16 years her junior. Of him, she said, “Erwin, who is a force of nature in his own right, has never been the least bit intimidated by my career, my talents, or my fame.”

In 2016, after a barrage of health problems, Tina’s kidneys began to fail. A Swiss citizen by then, she had started preparing for assisted suicide when her husband stepped in. According to Tina, he said, “He didn’t want another woman, or another life.”

He gave her one of his kidneys, buying her the remainder of her time on this earth and perhaps closing a cycle which took her from a man who inflicted injury upon her to a man willing to inflict injury upon himself to save her from harm.

Born into a share-cropping family as Anna Mae Bullock in 1939, she died Tina Turner in a palatial Swiss estate: the queen of rock ‘n roll; a storm of a performer with a wildcat-fierce voice; a dancer of visceral, spine-tingling potency and ability; a beauty for the ages; a survivor of terrible abuse and an advocate for others in similar situations; an author and actress; a devout Buddhist; a wife and mother; a human being of rare talent and perseverance who, through her transcendent brilliance, became a legend.

Source, with photos: big daft Facebook URL

thols2

hatter

Wow, thread ressurection!

Thought she’d risen from the grave or something.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.