• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by tomd.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Timewasters
  • Premier Icon Jolsa
    Free Member

I’d stopped listing things on Gumtree and now it appears Nextdoor is full of them.

I don’t get it. Listed some bedroom furniture (in decent nick) for free, and timewaster after timewaster. Why do they do it? At least spam/phishing emails tend to have a goal, no matter how poorly written.

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ

Is it still available

Premier Icon blokeuptheroad

Can u deliva?

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I agree, I now take every query with a pinch of salt, no matter how serious they appear. I also make a note of saying, ‘don’t ask if it’s available, cos if it’s advertised then it’s available’.
    Mind you, even when someone is serious it can still be a PITA. A guy wants some wheels from me but for the last 2 months either I’ve been away or he has so he can’t collect them!

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Soz —- Cun YUo sinT moR pIx pls …cHeerz bRo

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

I’ve given up replying to eBay inquiries.

Premier Icon revs1972
    Free Member

Got rid of some stuff on Facebook marketplace when we sold the flat.
    Specifically wrote will not hold , needs to be taken in next 2 days .

Can you hold on to this for me

No

Ok , I’m just arranging for someone to collect

Ok , let me know in the next hour or so please

2 hours later – message read – No response

Ok, so I have other people interested, can you let me know what you want to do

1 hour later – message read – No response

Ok , so as I’ve not heard from you I have let the other guy have it

No response

Other guy comes and collects within next 10 mins.

Next day – why have you given it away, I was trying to get someone to pick it up for me.

I didn’t respond 😉

Premier Icon revs1972
    Free Member

This always comes into mind when I think about them 😂

Warning NSFW

Premier Icon Jolsa
    Free Member

‘Is it still available?’
    Yes
    ‘Where to collect? Postcode?’
    Details in the listing. When can you collect?
    ‘Is it new?’
    No
    ‘What’s max length after uninstalling?’
    Details in the listing.
    ‘Oh sorry, it’s too long’

Slightly concerning are the people who want to come round and ‘have a look’ despite all the info and clear photos being on the listing and the item being FREE.

The upsetting part, as opposed to plain annoying, is that someone somewhere could surely benefit from the items, yet at this rate it looks like it’ll be heading to the tip.

Premier Icon jimmy

I used to be offended easily by people’s responses. They’re easily ignored now.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of crap I could do with getting rid of, but same story. That, and the chancers offering you less than half of what is already a decent price for things…

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Take photos of everything at the end of your driveway, seems to quickly weed out the timewasters because if they’re not there in 5 minutes someone else will be. The only conseccionbos of they’re on their way I’ll drag it back up and put it behind the car so it’s not gone when they arrive.

We’ve even had the Amazon delivery guy take away things!

Seems to be a thing in our village post COVID, people just stick a table at the end of their drive with all their old dvds, toys, whatever for people to help themselves.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Facebook market place is the same. They ask a detail about something, ie will it fit their bike, you respond yes, then never hear from them again. There is some guy that every time I list a part for a tt bike he asks if it’s still available, then if I’ll post. I answer yes and then never hear from him again

Worst is the amount of times someone commits to buy and then after chasing for payment some emergency has come up at home that means they need to divert funds elsewhere. Just be honest and say you don’t want it anymore ffs

Premier Icon kormoran
    Free Member

Always always put a small price on, keeps timewasters away. A tenner is enough, then when it finally goes just say it’s free mate. Smiles all round and you feel benevolent/smug

Premier Icon chvck
    Free Member

Similar to the “must bargain you down” brigade. I tried to sell a recliner on facebook. Wasn’t in great condition but was clean and worked, listed at £15.

Woman messaged me asking if she could come and try it. Fine. Turns up with husand in a suspiciously small car to fit a recliner in.

Her – “This is great, exactly what I’m looking for. We’ll have it.”
    Him – “Oooh erm, it’s not in the best condition is it? Best we can do is a tenner”

I was moving and just wanted rid so said fine, he was clearly trying to assert some sort of power over me. He said they’d send their son with the minibus to pick it up the next day. Of course no-one ever showed up…

Premier Icon Rockape63
    Free Member

Blimey…thats definitely enough to put me off selling stuff! I was selling a £17.5k XC60 and this couple with young child came along and I took them for a little drive. Bearing in mind that this car was top spec and immaculate, they didn’t take it any further. I was baffled at the time, as the next people snapped it up, but reflected that they were just out for an afternoons entertainment. W@nkers!

Premier Icon Jolsa
    Free Member

kormoran
    Always always put a small price on, keeps timewasters away. A tenner is enough, then when it finally goes just say it’s free mate. Smiles all round and you feel benevolent/smug

Nice, I’m gonna give that a go.

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

If you’re letting stuff go for free, use FreeCycle – no time wasters, and people grateful for stuff they actually want

Premier Icon nicko74
    Free Member

“I’m going to send UPS to collect it”
    Great
    “You have to pay insurance for the item”
    GTF

Premier Icon mrchrist

It’s the chuffing auto responses. They just sit there and annoy folk with them.

I wonder if the solution is the remove them and then they would have to type a response Nd lose interest?

I am going to contact nick clegg…

Premier Icon bikesandboots

Facebook’s intent with Marketplace isn’t to provide a time-efficient place for selling and buying goods.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

I was selling a Flying Scot frame on gumtree Glasgow, pick up only. and got one inquiry from someone in London wanted to know if i could send it to him, and would i take a postal order.

😆 jog on.

Premier Icon cb200
    Free Member

Premier Icon cb200
    Free Member

We’ve had people come for a house viewing, and it became obvious quite quickly that they just booked these things at around 9pm as some post-pub nosey entertainment.

Premier Icon tomd

If you’re letting stuff go for free, use FreeCycle – no time wasters, and people grateful for stuff they actually want

Seemed to be 100% car boot shite merchants hoovering stuff up when I’ve used it. I’ve found marketplace more useful as it has a much larger user base these days.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.