Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Times article "Cycle-only filters at traffic lights to make roads safer"
  • eshershore
    Free Member

never seen ASL enforced in London in 15 years of daily commuting

seen many vehicles, private and public including emergency services especially Police sat in the ASL waiting for lights to change

complete waste of time and money, and leading cyclists into false sense of security

also had many circumstances where I am sat in ASL on my bike, and motorists start creeping into ASL because they are impatient, sometimes ending up 6-12″ off my back tire

from what I understand, a Police officer has to “witness” a motorist entering the ASL to actually enforce the law. Unless my information is wrong, infringing an ASL is £100 fine and 3 points on your driving license.

How many drivers have received this penalty outside of a public relations “crack down” like the one in London last year after all those cyclists were killed in a short period of time

I also understand that TFL is lobbying the Government to remove ASL from criminal law and change to civil law so they can put up cameras and fine the sh*t out of infringers.

This makes much more sense, people ignore the law because that blue line is very thin, but quickly responde to a £100 fine in the post!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They gave always been a feature, otherwise you are violating the rule above when you cycle into the box. That’s what the law change is sorting out.

Though there are a fair few ASLs around lacking any sort of dotted line. In theory there’s no way to legally use them.

GrahamS

Yep, that’s what I was trying to illustrate in the first of my earlier photos – if you are cycling along that road then, under the current (soon to change) law, there is no way to legally enter that box when the lights are red. Which is odd.

Basically the more regulations and details that are required for these road marking, the more chance that the council will balls them up.

Not that the public are perfect either. I see one of the other changes is to refer to “no motor vehicle” pedestrian zones as “pedestrian and cycle zones” because apparently people have difficulty understanding that a bike isn’t a motor vehicle. 🙄

Mind you, near my work cars obliviously blitz straight through the “no motor vehicle / pedestrian zone” at 30mph and no one seems to care. 🙁

Even Street View shows cars doing it:

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Times article "Cycle-only filters at traffic lights to make roads safer"’ is closed to new replies.