Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Timer light switch for LED bulbs
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

I’d like to replace the single light switch in my porch for a timer switch as I keep forgetting to turn them off at night and it may also act as a bit of a security deterrent if they come on at dusk when we’re not in.

Originally, I bought some Hive light bulbs but they’re too big to fit in the external lamp housing… so now looking at timer switches. A lot though don’t seem to work with LED light bulbs….or they look absolutely terrible.

This is about the best I can find at present:
    7 Day 3kW Boost Fused Timer Spur Switch for Heater, Immersion & Lighting

Is there something else I should be searching for instead of ‘timer light switch led’?

Thanks

bamboo
    Free Member

Phillips hue?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Why not get a WiFi switch-that still operates as a stand-alone switch? There’s loads to choose from, mostly Chinese made-which invariably means installing an app on your smartphone to control it-you can get these with timers as well. Only issue is you’ll need a neutral wire to connect it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or a bit simpler, just fit a PIR switch so it comes on when someones actually at the door?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I need to check the wiring but I’m guessing I don’t have a neutral wire.

Will also double check the size of the Hue bulbs to see if they’re smaller than the Hive ones.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Not keen on the PIR. We live in the back of the house at night with porch curtains drawn on the inside so there’s no lights visible to show that anyone is home. Neighbour was burgled pre Christmas when she in the house so wanting the light as hopefully a bit of a deterrent.

bamboo
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with my hue bulbs in terms of size. You can also use IKEA tradfri bulbs with a Phillips hue system – they are a lot cheaper than the hue bulbs, but also of reputable quality – I.e not Chinese crap off amazon

dooosuk
    Free Member

The Hue bulbs at 11cm tall/long are to big for the external lights housing. Need shorter golf ball style bulbs really.

fettlin

Why not change the light unit instead? Standard bulkhead style light can be had for a fiver, your bulb should fit in that.

dooosuk
    Free Member

A pair of bulkhead lights either side of the front door isn’t really look that I’d get past the Mrs 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Small candle shaped Hue lamps are available.

Rachel

damomcg
    Free Member

I have used this successfully with LED bulbs:
    Electronic Timer

It does need a neutral though.

From having searched extensively, there seems to be a major lack of solutions for timed switching of LEDs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t timers work with LEDs? Surely they are just relays, what difference does the load make?

damomcg
    Free Member

It seems that the problem is that most timers are not relays. They use a bit of a trick to power the timer where a low current still flows through the resistive load of the bulb when it is off. For LEDs this is not possible and as you mention a relay is needed. These circuits require live and neutral to operate. Of course in most situations the neutral is not present in the switch box for the light, it’s somewhere up in the roof space.

retro83
    Free Member

You could also get a bulb with a built in light sensor. It comes on automatically at dusk and off again in the morning, no need to mess around with the switch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Edison-Sensor-Classic-Plastic/dp/B01N1M7OOY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

cp

I’ve stuck a bog standard 3w led bulb in our outside and just leave it on all night on the basis that 3w is sod all for the perceived benefit of deterrent.

Leaving on overnight for on average 12 hours costs just under 2 quid a year in electricity.

pocpoc
    Free Member

You could also get a bulb with a built in light sensor.

I was going to suggest something similar.
    We have outside lights that work on this basis (although the sensor is in the actual light unit rather than the bulb). THere are just left on all the time and switch themselves off when it’s light enough outside. There’s probably some where you can change the sensitivity too. Ours do tend to stay on all day on a dull winters day.

twowheels
    Free Member

If you don’t have a neutral wire put a cheap WiFi relay in the roof space for the reason damomcg said.

The cheap Chinese £1.50 ones are reasonable hardware but come with rubbish firmware that’s not very practical- I ended up getting frustrated and writing my own.

molgrips
    Free Member

It seems that the problem is that most timers are not relays. They use a bit of a trick to power the timer where a low current still flows through the resistive load of the bulb when it is off. For LEDs this is not possible and as you mention a relay is needed. These circuits require live and neutral to operate.

Ooooh I see. Yes makes perfect sense.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks all. All the hive/hue bulbs seem to be about 10/11cm tall which is too big for the lamp housing. The auto sensor bulbs also appear to be this size but I’ll have another search to see if I could find any smaller.

Good news is the switch has neutrals so I can also look at wifi switches.

5lab

If the housing is frosted you can chop chunks off the end of the Philips hue bulbs, it means more light comes out of that point, but not hugely so. I’ve done this to get some candle bulbs to fit where they’re too big

The dome of the bulb is hollow plastic, so a hacksaw goes through it in no time

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve used a number of Energenie wireless light switches to control a load of outside lights. I have a couple of RaspberryPi running a python app that calculates the sunset time [for that location] on a daily basis and then uses crontab to switch all the lights on.
    They all switch off at a predetermined time so they’re not on all night.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Timer light switch for LED bulbs’ is closed to new replies.