Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Time Trials. Timekeeper or Strava
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Since when did it become acceptable to record your Strava time for a TT instead of the offical timekeepers time?
    Does Strava often work in favour of the rider?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Since when did it become acceptable to record your Strava time for a TT instead of the offical timekeepers time?

I don’t know when did it become acceptable to record your Strava time for a TT instead of the offical timekeepers time?
    (not heard this one before) Is it an official record or just your personal record wall?

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorry more of a generalization, with people saying that their Strava recorded a faster time…I’ll go with that.
    Applies to Garmin users as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most people claim them for mass start stuff as it gives you a time not a waiting to start time. If you want to take the positive you would always take the faster time. The GPS recorded time will be +/- same as the time keeping also the GPS from a standing start will take a second or two to register that you are moving. So hence record a shorter time

fasthaggis

Is this time travel?
    It would only happen if the timekeeper clocks are not synched or faulty.
    I assume you are talking about an out and back with a push off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It would only happen if the timekeeper clocks are not synched or faulty.

As above standing start, GPS innacuracy, Moving vs Stationary time easily have a few secs difference over a proper measured time, also unless it’s laser timed there could be a s or so either way in the timing setup (just because the times are written as ss:55 doesn’t mean they are that accurate.)

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes

Edric64
    Free Member

It is not acceptable .People in more than one event I have done this year and in the event I ran were on about gps times being quicker ,My watch and computer have always agreed with the timekeepers who also use an official spotter to check riders through the finish to make sure the right rider gets the right time

mrblobby
    Free Member

Find the garmin distance will often vary from the course distance. Also the average speed tends to be higher if recorded from GPS and not the wheel sensor (and I think Strava takes it from the GPS log.) So wonder if people (and maybe strava) are working out their times based on the speed and distance?

Edit: … and no, not acceptable!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just rereading

Sorry more of a generalization, with people saying that their Strava recorded a faster time…I’ll go with that.

Sounds like people are taking their own time for their “Personal” use rather than the event time. Wont impact on the event time as most will specify the only time used is that of the timekeeper.

My watch and computer have always agreed with the timekeepers who also use an official spotter to check riders through the finish to make sure the right rider gets the right time

The timekeeper will give the right time for the event – ie the one to be recorded. It may however not be the correct time if all the available technology was in use (Beam braking stuff etc will improve accuracy)

eskay

I think people are trying to kid themselves.

The timekeepers watch will be the most accurate.

scaredypants

FFS, strava ONLY counts with the UCI if you:
    1) cut up a load of traffic on the segment and
    2) shout straaavaaaaaa ! as you do so

trail_rat
    Free Member

lets be honest – folks can claim any time they want.

the only time at counts at the end of the day and the one that is recorded on official records is the time keepers time and once they are outside the official query period thats it – they are final.

FWIW my strava/garmins occsionally records the wrong time – ie longer time than the race time.

I found it funny when the other week i did a TT and my strava time put me in about 15th place on the course leaderboard for that night compared to the other competitors ….. timekeepers result – 4th 😉 – i didnt have auto start set up on my garmin so it had me sitting on the start line for a while.

lazybike
    Free Member

the only time that counts at the end of the day and the one that is recorded on official records is the time keepers time and once they are outside the official query period thats it – they are final

plus 1. Strava is handy if like me you can’t always get to the evening TT, I can ride it during the day and have a rough idea where I stack up…for those that are really keen they can use this to see where there gaining or losing time…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Time Trials. Timekeeper or Strava’ is closed to new replies.