Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Time Trails… what do I need to know?
  • ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Did a club 10 a few years ago, got so bored that when my phone buzzed I actually answered and had a conversation 😳

Managed a short 22 (road bike)
    Only 40 odd seconds off my PB……. I shouldn’t have answered the phone.

molgrips
    Free Member

I absolutely love it, but you’re not in control of all the variables and could be fitter all round than other rides, yet the result goes the other way.

That’s the point! You could just as easily be slower than the other riders and still win by being canny.. which is what appeals to me about road racing.

aracer
    Free Member

Have you ever wondered whether it really is just you?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Is a time trail like a nature trail, but more focused on history? My kids would be into that sort of thing I’m sure…

😆 😆 😆

I want to ride on a time trail!!!

kcr
    Free Member

Trundling up and down anonymous dual carriageways is one aspect of time trialling, but there’s a lot more to it than that:

Nearing the Summit of Dukes Pass. Paul Friel, Glasgow Couriers. by Paris-Roubaix, on Flickr

People tend to do the standard distances, because it gives you an easy benchmark to compare your performance against, but I would recommend seeking out the interesting sporting courses instead. Team TTs are also great fun, and getting a team round a course together as fast as possible is an interesting challenge.

stevious

Not much of a fan of TTing myself but have found the atmosphere at TTs a bit more enjoyable than at road races. Not that road races have a bad atmosphere, but there’s a bit of tension that I’ve never had at TTs.

As I type I’m realising that’s probably because I care less about TT results so the stakes are lower.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk

is a good resource when they are not arguing about the Stockton ‘100’

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve done a few over the past 4 years, mostly 10 and 25 mile, but I did my first 50 this year. I quite enjoy them and view them as another way of improving fitness. When I ride a 10, I often collapse on the grass verge after crossing the finish line, still clipped into my pedals
    I have a nice road bike but I don’t bother with tri-bars or aero kit. For a start, I can’t maintain an aero position for more than 15 miles with my dodgy back! I’m just competing against myself, though it is a bit satisfying when you beat someone who’s all aero-ed up, and you’ve had to stand up and stretch your back out several times 😛

convert

Not much of a fan of TTing myself but have found the atmosphere at TTs a bit more enjoyable than at road races. Not that road races have a bad atmosphere, but there’s a bit of tension that I’ve never had at TTs.

I think this is true. In a road race unless you get yourself into the pointy end or you are working for a team mate to get them into the pointy end it’s an ultimately futile event. Get in the points or your might as well climb off. Most folks in a 3rd cat race trundle around in the middle of the peloton grimly trying to hold on and not get dropped before coming a very anonymous 48th(or unplaced or inaccurately placed as 60 riders go over the line together and there is no video on the line) having done nothing of note – what’s the point? And when the other folk around you have the aim of stoping you getting into the points because they want to be there it does create a bit more of an edgy atmosphere. With a TT everyone has the option for success – all at the same time. There will be an old boy at the back who will go away content if he beats one legged jim, his arch nemesis for 50 years or knocks a few seconds off his time from last year and a newbie overjoyed because they got under the hour on a 25 for the first time even though they only came 35th. With that comes a more collegiate atmosphere – all of you against the course and conditions.

Some people will never get it as it’s not in their mindset – it is quite an introverted experience. It’s also one for people who can sustain pain and be quite analytical and ‘out of body like’ about their performance. It’s not a red mist discipline.

Sporting course TTs or club evening events away from the dual carriageway courses have always been my favourite though.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

TTs are fab and friendly. Lots of cake too.
    The winner of the national 10 this year was on a relatively modest bike (2k I think) so even at the top level you do not need to spend loads. But its a bunch of middle aged men- of course we are going to spenf £££.
    Busy fast courses are not for everyone, it is just one type of course, our local hardrider series has some lovely roads. and our club 10 is mainly on small roads.

The idea that iso-power is fastest is wrong. Also looking at power as you ride is rarely the best approach especially in short events. The occasional glance can help or hinder, it is a tool that can be used badly!
    If it was just about power I would not do very well. I am a million miles away from being an athlete and managed a long 19 on a lumpy slow course, just putting the power down at the right time saved me a lot of time.

Edit: Anyone near Bristol who wants any advice etc. feel free to drop me a line. I can recommend nice courses too.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The winner of the national 10 this year was on a relatively modest bike (2k I think)

was around £1k

quite how much the support from Aero Coach would have cost though is another matter, but its another indicator that position is important

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you ever wondered whether it really is just you?

You mean is it simply my opinion? Er yes.. 🙄

Kryton57

I spent a couple of 5 mins periods in faux TT bars aka elbows on the tops during some sweet spot intervals last night. Once I’d inched forward it was amazing how easy my pedal stroke felt, although I could feel my belly getting in the way. I quite enjoyed the burn.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just read some of the road race thread. 80

Few sporting TTs will sort you out, you’ll be back road racing by the end of the year, and probably doing better, as you’ll know what pain actually is. And how to pace yourself/judge your efforts.

gatsby
    Free Member

I quit racing a couple of years back and started TTing, I was coming back from a long illness and needed a sense of competition as well as an accurate way to benchmark my recovery.

Started on my spare race bike with clipons and loved every minute of it. I love the scene, the fact that everyone is so helpful and pleasant – not like races where it feels like some sort of stand-off!

I like that you’ll always find your level, and then even if you’re not going to place in the top 3, you know who you’re competing against and you can have a proper good tussle with with the lads that finish in your time bracket.

I bought an Argon 18, some Chinese wheels and spent less than 1500 quid. I get a free skinsuit off my old racing team who like to see me flying the sponsors’ flag at events, and I bought a Kask Bambino when Ribble were knocking them out cheap.

So in a nutshell, I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s accessible, fun and a bloody good workout!

Kryton57

How important is the visor in TT’s? I quite like the visor look, but the Bontrager Ballista I quite like doesn’t have one. Note that I’d be riding to my local TT’s.

gatsby
    Free Member

The visor definitely makes it feel more aero, but it can get quite hot in there… And covered in snot!

But most importantly, it makes you look a bit “Robocop”, and that’s more important really… 😉

Isn’t the Balista an aero race helmet like an S-Works Evade? If so, I’d only consider one of those if you could only have one helmet that you used for all road riding.

They’re a bit of a half-way house… TT lids are hot and uncomfortable but they’re as aero as you can get. If you’re spending money specifically to get faster, I’d go the whole hog and get an out-and-out TT lid.

Having said all that, the Bambino is pretty comfy and surprisingly well vented compared to others.

Kryton57

Anyone used a Casco Speedster?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Did my first 10 for 34 years this summer. I’m now 52. Was just over a minute slower than my very first 10. Better bike now but not the wheels.

Kryton57

So I’ve found a Giro Selector at half price which also happens to be in club colours and with the visor I want, therefore coming in at the cheapest aero option of all specific helmets I want.

Am I going to look like a tit in my first TT wearing such a “pro” level item?

Or am I being a tit worrying about it?

TiRed

Anyone who stands up in a skinsuit with a pointy helmet and looking in need of a good meal, is not exactly giving out a look of coolness, to be honest. Fortunately there is safety in numbers!

My Giro was second hand and £30. It did help me keep my head in the right position and feels faster. Everyone is over-biked#, over-wheeled, over-everything in TTs. It’s how you buy speed. So no, you won’t look in the least bit out of place.

You’ll still get whipped by a pensioner on a fixed wheel steel bike with drop bars, pushing a dinner plate sized chainring, and wearing wool 😉

# just raced Marcel Kittel’s frame in a road race, so it’s not just TTs!

phil40
    Free Member

Exactly! My club …a3crg runs a weekly evening club 10 in the summer and it is a fab experience! Everyone is friendly and you realise that it is about personal performance and trying to beat your own Pb!

When I went under 30mins for the 10 for the first time I got some of the nicest praise from the really really fast guys!

I never enjoyed road racing, but the TT scene has always seemed more welcoming!

mrblobby
    Free Member

You won’t look a tit. I’d doubt most other riders would notice.

Nice helmet the Selector. I like mine. Feels pretty claustrophobic compared to my bambino, Giro didn’t really leave any space for ears. Is faster though on me.

Kryton57

Just bought a black / red Selector. A couple of hot turbo session to decide the relevant lower section await I expect.

Gulp, the first time I read TiReds post I thought he said he paid £130, I bough I was getting a good deal at £140. £30!

Kryton57

It arrived…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BC1WkN]upload[/url]

😀

DT78
    Free Member

Shave that beard. That’ll be at least a watts worth of drag there.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hang on, have you even done a time trial yet?

Kryton57

Most people can’t ride like <insert cycling person here> but still have a bike like hers/his.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought that was Wiggins for a minute there 🙂

What’s going on near the Giro logo, crashed it already?

Kryton57

Its a reflection of the light on the ceiling, slightly altered by the monochrome effect I used…

slowjo
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one has said – if you don’t taste blood in your mouth when you have finished, you haven’t ridden hard enough.

Also….prepare a good selection of excuses before the season starts so you can select, use and recycle them as the summer progresses. You will need them to explain why you lost a second and a half on that corner, that short climb etc.

Will anyone believe you? No. Will anyone listen? No…because they are busy delivering their own excuses.

It can be fun though and is curiously addictive. Haven’t done a TT since about 1999/2000 and keep meaning to have another bash before I’m too old….but then I look at some of the old biffers thrashing people way younger, with much more expensive bikes and I realise I’ve got decades yet!

NB when you start believing lycra overshoes will save you 0.5 seconds in a 10 and you think it is worth it….have a long lie down in a darkened room!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

😕
    Except TT kit is pretty much the most restrictive kit out there, i can use an actual team sky bike and kit to commute with, if i want.

TT kit is pretty much for TT use only.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah. Comfortable? Mine isn’t, and I’m a pin head.

Also….prepare a good selection of excuses before the season starts so you can select, use and recycle them as the summer progresses. You will need them to explain why you lost a second and a half on that corner, that short climb etc.

Traffic… bloody traffic!

And if you think no one cares, I’ve known people to analysed other’s strava data to validate claims of delay.

Kryton57

Well, ghostly, its my cash eh…

Ah. Comfortable? Mine isn’t, and I’m a pin head.

I’ve not ridden with it yet, but the living room tests it seems fine although tight on my ears. I’m going to do a couple of sessions on the Turbo with my TT setup so I can check / Mrs K can photo me to ensure I use the correct depth bottom section.

barrykellett
    Free Member

You can’t TT with an aero helmet and not a TT bike. Its the rules.
    I happen to have an argon E80 for sale by the way

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well, ghostly, its my cash eh…

I’m not even sure what point he’s trying to make!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Not any more, you’ve spent it. 😉

Kryton57

Lol, sorry New Kitchen = N<>1

I have a fairly aero road bike (Bianchi Sempre) and that’ll get used in 2016. I’ve no room for another bike atm, but if TT’ing works out I’ll rationalise to a decent endurance/sportive style bike and a TT bike. I was looking (already) at a ‘dale Slice the other day.

I’m not even sure what point he’s trying to make!

I think he’s bemoaning the fact I’ve bought a pro level helmet, yet have never ridden a TT.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, worth pulling the plastic bit (I think it’s a T shape thing) out the back so you can get it tilted right back.

Kryton57

The instructions in mine state that the “lines” should be horizontal and not tilt backward. See photo for evidence of such a fit…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Time Trails… what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.