Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Time to get out of heck out of Blighty
  • mrgibbons
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7994449.stm

At what point is a tipping point reached and we either say ‘no more’ or emigrate en masse?

Viva la revolution!

RepacK
    Free Member

Ive been in th US for 3 mths & 1 of the first things I noticed when I got back is the plethora of cameras here..

anagallis_arvensis

Well, I think anything that makes roads safer is a good thing and am quite happy if thats a camera ontop of a car. Give it a go see if it helps reduce numbers driving on phone, eating a big mac, putting on make up, reading a map or having a w@#k.

If you decide to leave, so long and good luck.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Whats wrong with just having a police officer pull you over and tell you what you were doing wrong / and give a ticket….you know like they used to? I think that would have more effect on people driving than a letter 2 weeks later when you probably can’t remember WTF you were doing a week last Thursday.

SSP

anagallis_arvensis

Whats wrong with just having a police officer pull you over and tell you what you were doing wrong / and give a ticket….you know like they used to? I think that would have more effect on people driving than a letter 2 weeks later when you probably can’t remember WTF you were doing a week last Thursday

Well it costs more and they send you a nice picy to remind you.

jam-bo

missing you already,,,

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Well it costs more and they send you a nice picy to remind you.

So get rid of the plastic-pigs (comunity support officers) and hire some real police with real powers. Being booked by a little-Hitler in a smart car / photobooth combo is not the answer*

SSP

*re-taking the driving test every few years is one idea.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t want to immigrate to a country where people drive with only one hand.

That’s for sure.

druidh
    Free Member

Bye.

Peregrine
    Free Member

I don’t have a car…….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I dunno about the cameras but….

On the three mile drive from Bristol City Centre during school-run-running-into-rush-hour traffic kind of time of the day to our home, mrs deadly and I decided we’d have a quick count of the amount of people using mobile phones while driving…i.e. actually holding them to their ears and talking. WTFFFFFFFF!!!! It got up to double figures in no time at all; finished around 15 IIRC – what the bloody hell is going on? I can’t believe people are still not ashamed to be seen doing it.

Hands up, I’ve been guilty in the past of doing it a few times when I had a company car where they wouldn’t fit a hands free but the boss insisted on having to call you on your way home…I know, I know, shouldn’t have even answered, but I was young and stupid. As I always say, show me someone with a drivers license and I’ll show you a lawbreaker. We’ve all been behind someone in traffic on one…swerving around a roundabout, trying to change gear and steer with one hand.

I’m not sure how I feel about this whole surveillance thing though…it’ll catch the feckers who are good at spotting marked cars or coppers in flourescent jackets though.

singletrackmind

Will they photo people who drive with Ipods on ? Almost certain its illegal.
    I don’t have a problem with it, although its all about revenue generation. When I first got my licence I was a proper hooligan and got stopped regualaly. This ensured a need to keep the car legal and me sober. A camera car will not be able to tell if the front tyres are down to the chords.
    Sometimes its like the fast and the furious outside my flat, its a 30mph speed limit, and maybe a camera car cruising will stop the idiots who do 60 up a residential street.
    I can see every driver from my kitchen window, and a considerable number still drive and use the phone, and where I live they can only be 2 mins from their home, otherwise they will be in the sea.

mrgibbons
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis, druidh and jambo

the post was meerly to incite discussion in good humour around whether it was right (privacy wise)/necessary/waste of money for Manchester Constabulary to be funding such things.

i didn’t say i was leaving the country, and i certainly wasn’t looking for any ‘well if you don’t like it, stuff it and live somewhere else’ vein of thinking remarks…a little early in the morning for you three?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

druidh and jambo

the post was meerly to incite discussion in good humour ……

So what’s your problem then ?

I thought jambo’s comment “missing you already” was hilarious.

BigDummy
    Free Member

In all seriousness, I am not convinced that driving like a tosser is a fundamental human right which the constabulary should leave citizens to indulge in unmolested.

As someone who does not drive, I have never really understood why those who do drive cannot just get on with driving properly and quit bitching like spoilt little girls about people telling them to do it more safely. 🙂

GrahamS

I don’t really get the “infringement of privacy” argument. You are in a public place commiting an offence.

Would they say the same about being caught shoplifting on camera?

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I like the comment about catching people fiddling with the car radio !!! FFS will it be illegal to change stations or cd tracks?!?!? ha ha whats the world coming to ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m such a klutz – I thought everybody was saying goodbye to anagallis_arvensis for committing the henious crime of “swear filter avoidance”, for which I received a 24 hour banning a few weeks ago.

dobo
    Free Member

Huge step to far, this is just a way to justify monitoring us even closer and making some money to pay for it not about whether somebody changes radio station whilst crossing a junction or gets caught eating a big mac at the wheel.

We are not robots, we make mistakes and get distracted and have bad days etc. This prevents nothing!

I can understand some of these things being wrong but education is far more powerful than FINES AND SPY CAMERAS everywhere, this country has become way to paranoid and less fun and free.

When do we start getting fined for being distracted on our push bikes and when we are walking down the pavement.
    Would it be ok to fine me for walking accross the road whilst talking on the mobile, you may laugh but this is the way its going and worse.

control control control

GrahamS

Driving without due care and attention is an offence. And more to the point it endagers lives.

If you are so busy eating, shaving, making a call or messing with your stereo that you go through a junction and don’t notice a car with a 12 foot pole sticking out of its roof then it is pretty safe to say you’re not paying proper attention and you probably deserve a letter or fine.

JulianA
    Free Member

Don’t worry MrGibbons, anyone who says they would think about going somewhere nicer to live always gets a load of rude flack from idiots too stupid to see what’s going on in this country…

Happens to the best of us.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

LOL @ GrahamS ^^^ excellent !

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Surely everyone has a hands free phone nowadays,That should be the answer to use a handsfree. I would have no problem with camera monitoring for using mobiles if that is all it was used for and not abused as you know it would be. However there are people who do not use a mobile while driving and their answer seems to be to slam on the brakes and stop the car wherever they are you know on bends and the like (I personnally think in a lot of ways this type is more dangerous)

thegreatape
    Free Member

I love those ones you’re talking about falkirk_mark

“Everything alright sir, have you broken down?”

“No. My phone rang so I thought I’d better stop to answer it”

“You’re on a bend on a dual carriageway”

“But I’m a social worker”

anagallis_arvensis

i didn’t say i was leaving the country, and i certainly wasn’t looking for any ‘well if you don’t like it, stuff it and live somewhere else’ vein of thinking remarks…a little early in the morning for you three?

All I said was if your going good luck, jeese I’ve changed my mind you can **** off!!!! 😀

By the way mods I swore then simple to not get around the swear filter as that seems like a no no

Also regarding re taking driving tests being a better idea, it would cost a fortune (for us and the government, so us twice really) and I could pass a test in the morning and go out a drive like a nutter in the afternoon. I want the police out checking and fining people who drive incorrectly and whilst I’d prefer a police car on every corner, camera’s are a good addition to their resources IMO.

porterclough
    Free Member

I wonder if any police officers will get done for talking on their police radios while driving at 90mph in a 30 zone? Somehow I doubt it.

soobalias
    Free Member

the ususal, grumble mumble and remain humble.
    everyone is happy to complain that their civil liberty is being removed, but at the same time they shuffle into line.

im going out now, fag in one hand, stereo on too loud, no seatbelt

so sue me, ligas.

singletrackmind

Police, ambulance etc allowed to use 2 way radios on the move as they are a ‘Give and Take’ system. Therefore sort of not a conversation, more of a set of statements.
    At least that is my friend Rob the plod’s understanding of the law.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Surely everyone has a hands free phone nowadays

No, nothing like it. Why not? They only cost about a tenner and eff all to fix, but no, some stupid lazy t0553rs still need to drive round the twon one handed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Time to get out of heck out of Blighty’ is closed to new replies.