Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Time pedals & normal shoes
  • Kamakazie

I’ve just got a new commuter bike and I’m trying to decide how to setup my pedals.
    I ideally want a clipless pedal that I can use with normal shoes for leisurely rides to town / the park / the shops. My preference is for Times as I have them on my MTB and like the action.

Does anyone have any experience with the Time X Roc or Time Zs?
    Are either of them suitable to use with normal shoes?

Alternatively, has anyone used the Winwood Decksters?

Thanks in advance.

BillMC

I’ve had about 6 pairs of Time Zs on different bikes and cannot fault them. They have never gone wrong. I also have Times
    on my road bike. Same reasoning as yourself, go for it.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had Zs and they were super slippery when not clipped in. I doubt any Time pedal would be ideal when the mechanism has to sit so proud of the body and is so smooth.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Times for years commuting, to be honest I just do the groceries in my Sidi’s, and go to the local in Sidi’s no problems to be honest.

I’d not want to walk far in them, but they’re fine for shopping, drinking, and to be fair the odd walk when you’ve had one too many to be able to ride home ;0)

Kamakazie

Thanks for the feedback. Still a little inconclusive but has helped.
    I’ll see if I can get some to try out or s/h pair cheap then I can always keep them for the MTB.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Time Z about to sell a couple of sets of mine as im fully flat pedals now

Loved them though the feeling of wearing a normal shoe on the pedal is not the best as the mechanisim is raised

jimc101
    Free Member

What about a pair of Time All Road / All Road Gripper, flat on one side, clips on the other, and very cheap at CRC, seem to do what you are asking for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above you can – for example i will cyle to my kids school tomorrow without being clipped in

In the 1/2 mile cycle my foot will slip at some point

It better than anon platform time but it is not really a flat pedal but you can get away with it

Would not want to go any distance like this tbh or even vaguely hard

If you are local to Lancashire I can lend you a pair to try

tonyd

I have Time’s all round too, and some Z’s on my do it all bike. Great pedals, but as above the mech does sit a little proud of the pedal so not as comfy as I’d like them to be. I do however have to ride bow legged as one of the kids is in a mid mounted seat on this bike so comfort never really comes into it anyway!

Those all road thingys look good, might have to consider a pair of those myself…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there anything better than the shimano cage/clip type?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have some old red shimano DX pedals that are the nearest to a combo pedal I’ve tried. Even they are a little slip prone depending on the shoes.

Kamakazie

Thanks again.

Jimc101: I’ve looked at those but am a bit apprehensive, one because they are end of line so getting spare flat inserts maybe difficult (apparently the grippers wear out rather quickly) and also because of reports that they can be quite difficult to clip in to.

Sounds like I’m going to have to gamble on something though unfortunately. No experiences with the Winwood Decksters then?

iainc

I have a pair of those all roads that are hardly used – you can have them for a sensible offer..they clip in just the same as normal time pedals. The platforms do feel quite small in trainers tho.

baldman
    Free Member

I very occasionally use skate style trainers with my z controls and every time wish I’d taken a minute to swap to flats, and that’s just for a short ride to the park with the kids.

Kamakazie

iainc thanks for the offer but the small platform comment kinda puts me off until I can see a pair.

Think I’m gonna give the Winwood Decksters a go as by elimination, they are the only things people haven’t had an issue with here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Time pedals & normal shoes’ is closed to new replies.