Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Time for new brakes
  • dan45a
    Free Member

My trusted avid XO’s have finally given up on my Nomad.

So time for a new set of brakes, tempted to go shimano as do like the lever feel one ones I’ve tried, is there much differenc between SLX and XT?

prices seem very good for both, any feedback appreciated.

survivor

I think the only real difference is the free stroke adjustment screw(which doesn’t seem to do anything! ) and a pad retention bolt instead of a split pin.

I’ve got both. Can’t tell the difference. Get the slx I’d say and save a few quid. 🙂

keppoch

I’d say go for Zee.

Price wise they are in between SLX and XT. Only a little heavier and compared to SLX way better modulation but loads of power. Very happy with mine having swapped SLX to my HT.

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. I think I prefer the look of the new XT M8000 being black. Zee come in a bit pricier than the XT from what I’ve seen.

but am now also looking at the SRAM Guide R, they seem well priced and I’d like to keep the match maker to my reverb.

So its down to XT vs SRAM guide R. Both seems to have good reviews.

stewartc
    Free Member

Been running XT M8000 brakesets on both my HT and FS for the last 5 months but recently changed the FS to Guide RSC’s as I was struggling to get on with them.
    They seemed to alternate between really low modulation when running hot (i.e. touch the lever and they lock) or too much, despite several bleeds I just couldn’t get them so that they were consistent so have binned them (in other words, sold).
    The Guides seem to be bearing up well with a lot of adjustment availbale but its too early to tell yet but I like the fact that I can put brakes, XX1 shifter and reverb controls all on two brackets.

mboy
    Free Member

Have fitted a few sets of M8000 XT brakes now, every single bike has had an issue or other with the brakes! Not impressed at all, they seem a massive step backwards reliability wise compared to the M785’s…

I’ve got Guides on my own bikes, wouldn’t change them either. Been very reliable and worked flawlessly! The only thing I would say is the RS’ are worth the small premium over the R’s every single time, as the only difference is a cam in the lever but it gives them so much more modulation! The R’s feel a bit wooden by comparison, though again work fine and dead reliable in my experience.

If you must go Shimano, go SLX or some old M785 XT’s, but both are grabbier than the guides so not as nice in use.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’d go for XTs, had a few sets on a few bikes in our house and they’ve been flawless. On the other hand we’ve had some Zees which have been bleed millions of times, replaced twice and still don’t work properly. I’m seriously considering switching to Guides when they finally wear out as the 2 pairs in our house are spot on (R and RSC).

I wouldn’t touch Zees with a barge pole now. They also never seemed as powerful as the XTs even when new and (briefly) working.

Tom KP

everyone
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone have much experience of formula brakes? I’m intrigued by the R1 (because it’s fairly light and I’m a massive tart) but I’ve not seen the much feedback online (I could just be dire at Google though…)

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks guys, leaning towards the Guide RS now.

everyone, I actually had R1’s a few years back on my trail bike, they were very good matched with correct disc and formula pads. Lovely feel throughout the stroke, sounded nice as well. So much better than the hope tech v2 I had on my downhill bike. Equal to the Avid XO’s I’ve been using until yesterday!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Time for new brakes’ is closed to new replies.