Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Time for a change of job?
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Thinking of changing jobs. I love the work that I’m doing, it’s a nice place and the people are great (this isn’t how these threads normally start, is it?).

But 3.5 hours of commuting a day is killing me and I never feel like I’m on top of things at the weekend. The job’s also quite stressful. Family have started to comment that they’ve noticed a change in me as a result (shorter temper, etc).

Job has come up nearby. It’s at an ok place and not quite the role I’d choose. It would be a pay cut, although that would be offset by the shorter commute somewhat.

What do you guys think? I’m conscious that I changed jobs last because I wasn’t doing interesting work (using the logic that I spend more time at work than at home, so I might as well enjoy it!). This is kind of going the other direction.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

3.5 hours of commuting a day

Not being flippant, as we don’t know your situation, but three and a half hours a day? Five days a week? That’s a waking day’s worth of commuting a week. I’d have changed something years ago, either where I live or where I work.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are you an underpaid Premiership Footballer? If so today is the day for finding a new job 🙂

But 3.5 hours of commuting a day is killing me and I never feel like I’m on top of things at the weekend. The job’s also quite stressful. Family have started to comment that they’ve noticed a change in me as a result (shorter temper, etc).

Well thats 3 reasons to get out, I’d personally be out at 3.5hrs/day wasted. 17.5 hrs per week!!!

The point of work is to make living work out, if living is suffering then the work isn’t worth it. The savings on the commute must be fairly useful

mtbtom
    Free Member

Haha, that’s probably the kick in the pants I need.

I could have moved closer – to London – but I’d have given up (easy) access to trails at the weekend and a nicer house.

Thanks guys 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I could have moved closer – to London

If thats the only other option then time for a new job…

nickjb
    Free Member

No brainer. I couldn’t believe the change in lifestyle and quality of life when I switched from a 45 min drive to a 10 min cycle. Spending half a working weeks worth of hours commuting is crazy.

growinglad
    Free Member

No brainer. I couldn’t believe the change in lifestyle and quality of life when I switched from a 45 min drive to a 10 min cycle. Spending half a working weeks worth of hours commuting is crazy.

^^ This.

I have a few more weeks left of doing a 120 KM round trip, normally around 40 to 50 minutes in a car to a 45 minute bike ride. Plus for more money and less expenses.

Can’t wait!

scotroutes

Calculate your hourly pay rate being from the time you leave for work until you get home.

Daffy

Would there be any possibility of your current employer allowing you to do a long four day week?

Live local (to work) for three evenings Mon/Tue/Wed and be home on Thursday evening for a nice 3 whole days (4 nights) with the family?

The cost of accommodation should be offset by the reduction in commuting from 10 trips to 2.

tonyd

Or work from home two days a week.

Personally I’d have changed a long time ago as I can’t stand long commutes. Currently I have 20 mins (without traffic) in the car or 40 mins on the bike.

badnewz
    Free Member

There’s lots of research on the misery of long commutes.
    I’d take the new role or move closer to current job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. had a similar call yesterday. I really like my job but I have to travel maybe 50% of the time, which I personally don’t mind but I have a family. There was an offer with a worse consultancy in a worse department, but they were claiming to be able to commit to working in my home town for 5 years.

I decided not to believe them… A good job is a good thing to have. But then I am not on the road 3.5 hours a day.

nealglover
    Free Member

Would depend for me what the total hours were, from leaving to getting back home.

I’m out 11 hours a day (7am – 6pm) and on the road pretty much all day, so I don’t feel like I commute at all really. Even though it’s 45 mins each way to the office, but as I’m not office based its not so much of an issue.

I’m home by 6pm every day, which is fine by me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Time for a change of job?’ is closed to new replies.