• This topic has 72 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Time ATAC pedals
  • davosaurusrex

I’m on Shimano Saints currently and have been on Shimano SPDs for years, I generally like them and the bombproof reliability. However, with it being all slippy and that lately there is a trail we do regularly that has about a million slippery corners that really benefit from hanging a foot out. I’m not bad at banging my foot straight back in but not 100% and wearing the winter Northwaves the sole has sod all traction on the cages so have hit a few jumps and stuff unclipped which I don’t enjoy much.
    Have read up a bit on the Times but have a few questions – are they better at engaging when you stamp your foot in the general direction of the pedal than the Shimanos? What is the cage support like when you miss – read they are smallish and no pins so not great? And would I be best off going for the Atac DH with the alloy body if I do take the plunge? I am a bit of a pedal smacker and on an ebike so weight not a concern, think they are about the same weight as the Saints anyway

Any other suggestions? Heard too much bad stuff on the Crank Bros. Maybe I should have kept my old DX636 with the rotating cleat. Yes, I do fancy a change, it is possibly for the sake of it and I don’t want to regret it….

alan1977
    Free Member

i tried a few different pedals, new to clips.. I’m a massive fan of the DMR V-twins, the cage being able to rotate slightly as you clip in.. they work quite well for me beign a newbie.. in and out
    decent platform, and pin configurable

Bez

Long time since I used Shimano but (IME at least) there’s no massive difference in terms of getting in or out, and no cleated pedal is going to play nicely when you’re not clipped in. But then I’ve tried very few caged cleated pedals.

For my money it’s a choice between staying clipped into whatever cleated pedals you’ve got, or using flatties. YMMV.

davosaurusrex

Have ridden flats plenty but prefer clips. Just looking for least worst option for hanging a foot out when required

Will have a look at the DMRs

jonny-m
    Free Member

A long time Time user here and recently moved to shimano.

I think shimano are better in every way.
    More positive in engagement, less slop/movement once clipped in and no harder to remove in my opinion.

Sandwich

I’ve never used the MX and Speciale Time pedals but I’ve been using ATACs since my Eggbeaters went phut on a ride home in the dark. The ATAC’s are an easy clip in for boots, the brass cleats are very soft and the normally unclipped foot side will wear very quickly leading to more float (handy if your knees are fragile). Always have a spare set of cleats handy if you go with them as the law of Sod will mean that you will need one just as the shops close for an upcoming ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 old pairs of Time pedals in the spares box, Z-Atac or something IIRC, would post out for a fiver charity donation + postage if anyone wants them?

I’ll post a pic if needed

spacemonkey

Time ATAC user here since 2003-ish. No complaints whatsoever. First set lasted until 2016 I think. Since then I’ve run different ATACs on different bikes (road, MTB and gravel) but get on with them all.

The only weirdness I’ve experienced is a bit of play that I doesn’t seem to be coming from a pedal or a cleat or a shoe, so I really don’t know what’s causing it. No issue though.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Regarding unclipped stability/grip, I’ll say that’s pretty much a myth. I’m yet to find a clipless pedal/shoe combo that provides any meaningful utility when unclipped. Worse, pins like on the Saints have the effect of making clipping in harder when you’re in a hurry. Take a look at EWS pros and you’ll see plenty of big pedals with pins removed.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the cage usefulness is to maximise stability and contact area when clipped in, which really is where you want to be with clips. For example, I’ve had SPD Saints some years ago and now have XT M8120s, both on AM7 shoes. The XTs provide the same contact area and feel when clipped in as the Saints but are much easier to clip in. I much prefer the XTs

justinbieber

I was in a similar situation to the OP – been on Shimano SPDs for years, and then tried some Time Speciale 8s which you can read about here: https://singletrackworld.com/2019/11/time-speciale-8-atac-pedal-review-pretty-much-perfect/

Basically, it’s going to take a lot for me to go back to Shimano. The clip in action is definitely easier/more natural on the Time pedals. I’ve not ridden Shimano Saints (I was on XT Trail) so can’t compare the unclipped grip, but yeah, the Time’s aren’t amazing in this respect. Having said that, I found them so much easier to clip into, I rarely rode them unclipped.

The only issue I’ve had was a rogue rock hit and damaged one of the clips. I ride in the Lakes though, so flying rocks are a regular occurrence, otherwise I can’t fault them.

karnali
    Free Member

Nobeerin the fridge could you stick up a pic but I could be very interested, my old times have just died

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No worries, will do

@karnali
    , I had a look, I may have thrown them out! sorry, If I come across them, I’ll PM you.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m back using the Time ATAC Carbon XS pedals bought in 2006, with my newish PX Das Boots and a new set of Time cleats… They don’t make things like they used to!

huck2flat
    Free Member

MX-8 user here – absolutely excellent engagement even in extreme mud. Also – the build quality is still pretty darn good, I’ve got some x-roc’s on my daily hack bike which must be pushing 15yrs with zero bearing play…

Raouligan
    Free Member

Long time Time pedal user here no complaints at all they’ve always been entirely faultless for me the cleats do seem to wear reasonably quickly though.

I typically run the cleats the wrong way round for a bit more play.

I’ve got a mixture of versions including the expensive aluminium things that look like big platforms and they all just feel the same underfoot as far as I can tell.

Gotama
    Free Member

Dave – not sure what you’ve heard re crank brothers but it sounds like the company of old. My Highline dropper has been faultless for three years of continuous use and both my mallet DH and mallet enduro have been great. I’ve just done a bearing service on the DH pedals using the crankbrothers kit, it takes 20 mins for both pedals and they’re like new, bar the battered cages. So I’d say get some Mallet DH, they’re perfect for the moments you describe and the clip mechanism works very well. Might take you a few rides to get used to float as opposed to the in/out nature of shimano but that would be the same with Time.

Or the HT pedals are supposed to be good and use a similar clip to shimano.

pedlad

As above. Used them for years, kind to knees, engagement is v easy until cleats wear a lot, they wear quite quickly and are quite expensive for what they are.

Agree it’s definitely the case that the pedals are not built as well as they used to be. Early pairs lasted ~ 10yrs with no maintenance (you can’t get into them I don’t think to replace bearings – maybe the mega expensive top of the line ones). I had some ~2yr old ones eat themselves (bearings) 1/3 of the way into a big skidaw loop ride with mates this autumn which wasn’t ideal!

davosaurusrex

Steve – I did hear they had improved but also read a couple of reviews that said that the engagement mechanism makes them harder to clip into than SPDs, not your experience?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

I used to have the older version of these – https://www.merlincycles.com/time-atac-mx4-mtb-pedals-112760.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=49163&source=PHG

They were bombproof – had them 5 or 6 years never once looked at the bearings.

I went back to Shimano as I could kit out 3 bikes & not need loads of different shoes for the price of one pedal

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Last Crank Brothers I had were a lot better, no bits fell off, bearings are good quality now. But kept finding either my shoe would slip forwards while trying to clip in and/or the mechanism would roll over inside the cage and not catch properly. No doubt someone will say my technique was wrong but that just doesn’t happen with Shimano for me. Would like to give Time a go, find out if the float helps my knees.

seadog101

I switched to Shimano from some very old ATAC, only because I found a cracking deal on a pair of XT pedals.

I reckon engagement and float are better on ATAC, and as mine lasted 10years+ I think the quality was fairly decent👍.

I’ll probably switch back in another 10 years as these XT seem bomb proof too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Steve – I did hear they had improved but also read a couple of reviews that said that the engagement mechanism makes them harder to clip into than SPDs, not your experience?

In all honesty it’s been too long since I’ve used shimano to comment. I don’t have any issues clipping in with five ten or specialized shoes in either rubbish or decent conditions. I do use the supplied plastic shim underneath the cleat.

joebristol

If going Time I’d go DH4’s – I considered them last time but wanted to keep Shimano spd compatibility. I used to have Time atacs back in the day and those were less picky on placement of cleat to get clipped back in than Shimano.

In the end I went with Nukeproof Horizons but I have removed a couple of pins from each. They now clip in really easily but if you don’t have a chance they have enough pins to grip your foot better than any other spds I’ve used.

Just a thought though – if you have shoes with chunky soles they don’t tend to work well with spd pedals that have pins. I had some xc style Shimano shoes and they didn’t play nicely – however my Shimano AM7’s work brilliantly with them.

excitable1
    Free Member

I went from Shimano to Time Atac. IMO one of the best upgrades you can do.

Shimano’s clog up with snow or mud and you can’t clip in. You know when someone is riding Shimmano’s when you hear the clattering of shoes banging against the side of the pedals. You have none of that with the Atac pedals no matter how grim it gets.

Secondly Shimmano’s don’t have enough float so any twisting and shape pulling and you’re unclipped without warning. Either slow descending where you need to bounce the bike around or shape pulling off jumps and drops the Atac’s are more suited.

On the downside if you take a bad rock strike on the spring of the Atac’s then the clip gets a little bit of play in and you have to replace them because you can’t fix or service the spring, but they’re cheap enough to replace without moaning about it (but then the Shimmano’s aren’t without their mechanical issues, especially the higher end XTR’s (which they may have resolved now).

I’d never go back to Shimmano’s now.

b33k34

A long time (20 year) Time user here and moved to shimano Saint before last winter. I’d started repeatedly bending Time bars with rock strikes and it was getting expensive as they’re no longer repairable (bent an axle too but they can be swapped out)

Saint definitely have a much more solid feel underfoot when riding clipped in and I now prefer the ‘solid’ clip in of SPD>Time (still running time on my road bike). Pins are pointless – I removed them straight away.

I think shimano are better in every way.
    More positive in engagement, less slop/movement once clipped in and no harder to remove in my opinion.

Every way EXCEPT performance in sticky mud, snow and ice. You can pretty much always kick into Time but I’ve had Shimano jam up with stones/mud/clay/twigs and have to take a tool to it to clear. Also with ice.

No difference for me in clipping in. Crank brothers are meant to be best for that as you can clip in straight down…

zezaskar
    Free Member

I was about to order a set of Time Speciale 8 recently but ended up not doing so because of just that: reports of bent retaining bars. You don’t hear of that at any review, but when asking around actual users, many of them had bars bending. Time seems to be covering this under warranty, but even still, that’s not something I’d like to go through, specially at that price point.
    Meanwhile, my M8120 XT feel about perfect are are being bashed around mercilessly with no effect

spooky_b329

I typically run the cleats the wrong way round for a bit more play

It’s the other way round, if you run them the wrong way it makes them tighter and harder to get out of.

I’ve always used Times but not a massive fan of the newer style single central spring that has a square profile. They seem to wear quickly, I prefer the old style with two springs and round wire bars, however I think they only come in the bigger caged pedal versions.

cb200
    Free Member

I went through Shimano and Crank Bros before settling on Time Atac. I love them. They engage easily (although not with as firm a click as Shimano) and there is a good amount of float and some lateral placement adjustment, which means I can easily get into the ideal position.

Surprisingly the grip when unclipped is pretty good (Five Ten Kestrel shoes)

forked
    Free Member

Time pedals are certainly superior in terms of float/feel, and ease of entry/exit. However, they’re not as reliable – I went back to Shimano after bushing issues on the Atacs. I’ve never had issues with the bearings on Shimano pedals, even after years of use.

daver27
    Free Member

i find Time Vague on entry, worse on release and generally not great at staying engaged. Saints are the single best set of SPD type pedals ive used in 30~ years of riding. and i’ve used them all, including Onzas (if you remember them…)
    i have a particularly bad memory of Time pedals in Winter, clipped a wet root under leaves, foot had minimal grip on the pedal but was clipped in. the slip on the root and weight shift caused the vague release to happen and foot slipped out. cue one broken ankle and a 10 mile one footed ride/hop home
    i’ve tried them again with other shoes since and still absolutely hate them.

Shimano i never have clog, the shoes do, but thats the same as any pedal and a quick bang is all it takes to clear. they are ultra reliable and have a great easy entry and positive release point. you always know where you are.

For me its Shimano in the summer, flats in winter

justinbieber

@zezaskar

Erm… I mentioned it in my review, and even put a picture up to go with it!

Time Speciale 8 ATAC pedal review | Pretty much perfect?

davosaurusrex

Ooh, it’s all pros and cons though isn’t it? Pros and cons aplenty! Can’t you bastards ever agree on anything?

To add to my list of wants my knees have been creaking for years and last ride I started to get a pretty severe stabbing pain through one knee when putting pressure through the pedals. I’m not expecting a miracle cure but a mate has a set of old mallet DH I can try to see if I get on with them before any outlay. From what I’ve read they’ll probably explode and kill me to death but worth a punt.

zezaskar
    Free Member

@justinbieber pardon my ignorance then. Because I’m not a subscriber, I can’t read the review. I’m curious now, it got the recommended label, even with the bent bar?
    Thanks!

justinbieber

@zezaskar no worries.

Yeah – the pedals are great, and I was able to bend the bar back easily with a pair of pliers so I saw no reason not to recommend them. Bear in mind I ride in the Lakes and am particularly hard on kit, so if you ride in the woods or somewhere less rocky, you shouldn’t have an issue with them.

The main thing that I like about them is the entry action – I find it much more natural than Shimano, especially on techy terrain where you have to clip in quickly.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got both across a couple of bikes and for me Time Atac are better. You have to be so much more accurate with SPD’s so clipping in in a hurry is trickier, they clog with mud…never happened to me with Times evening the most clayey, claggy mud, and you get more float when clipped in with Times. Unclipping with Times you need to rotate through a wider angle than SPD’s but for me that hasn’t been an issue. I’d never ride SPD’s on my MTB…only on my commuter.

ultimately you’ll get used to whatever but for me running both back to back I prefer Time. In fact think I’ll ditch the SPD’s altogether as the only reason I was running SPD’s was for the shoes which I used in the gym spin classes where the spin bikes had SPD’s, but now that isn’t happening any more think I’ll switch over the SPD pedals.

davosaurusrex

Do Mallets suffer from the same issues with bent bars as the Times? I did read they can unclip if you hit the mechanism on the underside of the pedal hard enough

pedlad

merlin cycles seems to do Time pedals / cleats at a decent price when they’re in stock.

mjsmke

I find shimanos PDM520 and 540 to be perfect in the winter. No need for a cage if paird with a stiff shoe and single release cleats. The cage just adds resistance when unclipping.

Tried other brands but find them harder to clip into but that could be due to being so use to Shimano.

balfa
    Free Member

I’m a long time ATAC user due to dodgy knees. I find the different models a bit different.

MXs – Easier to clip into but sometimes hard to tell when its clipped in. It seems a smoother clip than the speciales. If you bash them off rocks the plastic can deform a bit leading to lower spring tension. I find them better than the speciales for for a quick dab and clipping back in.
    XCs – Stronger Spring and maybe a little harder to clip into.
    Speciales – A little harder to clip into than MXs but obvious when clipped in. Seems a little more of a click/push down to get in. Higher level of retention though.

There are 2 different cleats and 2 different ways of mounting them nowadays. The cheaper pedals tend to come with the ‘easy’ cleats so plenty of options for playing around.

Sandwich

@davosaurusrex Mallets suffer from the same soft cleat problem that Time do. I did find that my Mallets weren’t happy with the Shimano winter boots even with the plastic cleat spacer installed. They got demoted to commuting duties around town as a result.

For clarity the Eggbeaters mentioned up above were early noughties vintage with the cheese bearings!

@daver27
    you’re describing the symptoms of worn Time cleats. On my commute to work bike these start to go off after about 6 weeks or so. It does take quite a while to be able to easily pull straight out without having to twist the foot when the cleat is truly done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Time ATAC pedals’ is closed to new replies.