Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tiling onto plaster
  • munkster
    Free Member

Hi all – got some tidying to do in a newly plastered (onto plasterboard) room, and want to tile another row of tiles (maybe 5 and a bit tiles at most). The internet seems to think I need to prime the plaster first, what does STW think?

Key points: tiles located behind a sink in utility, plaster is months old, I didn’t tile the originals, 5 and a bit tiles is about my limit 😉

thanks!

highpeakrider
    Free Member

i’m no expert but my understanding is not to use PVA, but use SBR or another primer.
    But i doubt an extra row would make a difference.

A search on here should help https://www.tilersforums.com/

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s it, it’s hardly any tiles at all and wonder whether to just tile directly onto the plaster, but if I’m missing something obvious (to someone else anyway) I’ll kick myself.

nickjb
    Free Member

Does it need tiling? A decent paint should be fine unless you get up to crazy shenanigans in there. It’s not like a shower.

jim25

You should definitely prime the bare plaster first or else you run the risk of the adhesive a drying to quick and not really sticking to the bare plaster too well.

If it’s in a bathroom or near an area that is going to get wet then it’s best to use a proper tile primer like Mapei prime or Bal or any of the other stated tile primers, try not to use PVA as when this gets wet it tends to turn back into its original liquid state and the tiles could slip or loosen

jim25
    Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

ALWAYS prime plaster before tiling, use a good acrylic primer and not PVA.

zbonty

Timely thread. Got some tiles to put up on plasterboard around a sink/back of the bath. Primer it is then.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Blue Grit… look it up lets you stick tiles and plaster onto wet thin air.

singletrackmind

Blue Grit is an excellent product but expensive for a dozen tiles in am area that isnt going to be saturated.
    Mapei primer, 1ltr will be too much its around a tenner. Then decent adhesive, waterproof if you like. Maybe do full skim rathet than combed.
    Then allow to cure fully before grouting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.