• This topic has 33 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Tile drilling
  • senorj

I have to drill 12 holes in my bathroom tiles. I don’t know if they are porcelain or ceramic tbh
    Any advice on drill bits?
    I have an sds drill but can’t seem to find an sds tile drill bit,all the tile specific tile bits seem to be standard chuck compatible.So I’ll have to use my little drill …..
    Then I saw a online vid of a bloke using a masonry bit on to tape………stw please help.:-)

fadda

I’ve successfully used masonry bits, with electrical or masking tape on the tile – go gently and all should be well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have an sds drill

I wouldn’t be using an sds on tiles anyway. Might be a bit vicious. You’re better off with a normal masonry bit in a drill. I think you might want to have the hammer setting off too. As fadda says, go gently.

EDIT: always worth looking on youtube. This guy has it nicely.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEbcfziT2A[/video]

sandwicheater

Masonry bit is all you will need. Don’t what ever you do use a wood drill bit, that would be stupid and noisy (don’t ask how I know this).

Cougar

You can get specific tile bits. I’ve got one, comes with a broadly ineffectual gizmo that goes over it, supposed to fill it with water so that it keeps the drill point lubricated. That’s the key anyway, keep everything wet and take your time. Which is a good rule for life really.

senorj

Thanks for the reassurance .masonry it is.
    I had planned to use the sds with the hammer off btw,(it’s way more powerful than its predecessor).
    That saves a trip to screw fix .:-)
    Oh and the vid is better than the chirpy Aussie fella I saw.ta.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had planned to use the sds with the hammer off btw

Course you did. 😉

🙂

It’ll be a doddle, honest.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I had one of them specific, leaf-shaped thingies that worked ok. When I couldn’t find it I used a regular masonry bit which also worked ok. Both times included plastic insulation tape and being gentle.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Mark the tile on where to drill. Cover mark with layers of sellotape so you can still see it. Drill slowly using a masonary drill bit no hammer action, increase speed once you’ve broken the surface. Once the drill bit has got through the glaze, you’ll know when your through as it will be easier to drill, then apply hammer action.

unovolo
    Free Member

I had to drill some holes in some Porcelain tiles in my bathroom, a normal masonry bit wouldn’t even touch them.

Had to get a proper Porcelain drill bit and even then ended up going through 3 of them to get the holes done.

As above a bit of masking tape over where you are drilling to stop the bit from skidding.

stumpy01

Used a pointy tile bit on my bathroom tile to put a new cabinet up. Marked the wall, stuck masking tape over the top and couldn’t believe how easy it was to do. That was just with a cheapo Black and Decker drill – no hammer.

totalshell

screwfix.. pack of three drill bits about tuppennce you ll wonder ehy you didnt do it before.. i got a cracking set of diamond hole saws for tiles too for a bout a tenner again do what it says on the tin.

honeybadgerx

If they’re ceramic then careful use of a masonry drill should be OK, depending on diameter you might want to start small then work up. If they’re porcelain then a proper bit will be worth it’s weight in gold. I got a marcrist bit from screwfix for my bathroom, took two minutes to do what a standard Bosch tile bit had taken about 40 before… They’re about 30 quid but worth every penny!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use a masonry bit – no hammer action of course, but just hand turn the chuck a few times with some pressure/weight on the drill just to break the tip though the hard glazed surface so your hole drills nice and true with no wandering. Been a method that has worked well for me on various tiles.

dingabell
    Free Member

As above, but maybe use an offcut of wet sponge to cool the tip? Thick porcelain will probably take an age with a cheapo bit.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We have vintage original 1930s tiles in our kitchen and bathroom, a masonry bit didn’t touch them. However, it was a doddle with a glass and tile bit. Horses for courses and all that…

righog
    Free Member

Having just done this recently I would strongly recommend diamond tipped core drills. I only paid a few quid a local Plumbing shop ( LPS ) they are more expensive at the big sheds and screwfix but still worth it.

joepose
    Free Member

Buy a cobalt drill bit. normal drills are not hard enough, cobalts are amazing at getting through any tile and don’t lose the edge.
    Drilled loads of tiles hole with them way better than masonry.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

no flashy drill bits needed if its just standard bathroom tiles. A standard (cheepo) masonry bit will suffice, no need for a nuclear solution. If you’ve want 1000 holes out of one bit, then buy a flashy one, if you just want a few holes every 10 years to put up the odd soap dish, then standard masonry bits will be fine. I’ve never come across a bathroom tile I couldn’t drill a nice neat hole in with a standard masonry bit. Once you’re past the glazed surface it goes through like a hot knife through butter.

righog
    Free Member

Wobbli……

I’ve never come across a bathroom tile I couldn’t drill a nice neat hole in with a standard masonry bit.

I have lots…. I have lots of masonry drill bits I dont like buying stuff I don’t need, some tiles need a better drill bits, you cant tell until you start, you have just not come across one yet.

senorj

Thanks for the advice all.
    I’ve done what any sensible person should,watched the tour & gone for a pint to mull it over ;-).
    I’ll see how my masonry drill gets on and report back.no pressure .:-)

Cougar

You’ll probably need a little bit of pressure or it’ll take hours.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

bosch blue non-hammer masonry bits. multi construction i think they’re called. better.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Centre punch, hammer, cordless drill and a bog standard bit.

Once you’re past the glaze it’s easy.

timba
    Free Member

“Centre punch, hammer” ^^^ you’re a lot braver than me 🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

Jesus…..centre punch…..are you sure?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Arrow head style ceramic tile drill bit.

Masonry skips all over and useless in my experience. I tried the tape trick, also useless. Went out and got the proper tool and was perfect. Go slow and steady.

And definitely do not hammer drill!!

chipster

deadkenny – Member
    Arrow head style ceramic tile drill bit

+1
    We had some new tiling done, the tiler gave me a small one of these ^. I drilled through the tile with it as a pilot, then opened the hole up to size with a masonry drill.
    I’ll do the same, next time.

joepose
    Free Member

Ceramic drill bits are not a patch on cobalt drills, there not expensive and they don’t wear like the diamond tip bits.
    Don’t knock till u’ve tried.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not tried them on tiles, but used cobalt bits to drill out a snapped stainless steel bolt. Pretty good for that. The ceramic tile bits are fine for ceramic tiles I found.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As a tiler and bathroom fitter I have to drill a lot of holes in tiles.

For ceramics, I use the arrow head ones to drill through the tile until it just brakes through the back of the tile, then switch to a masonry to drill the hole in the wall. Before you drill, put the drill bit on the mark, apply pressure and turn the chuck by hand a couple of revolutions, this will mark the tile and stop the bit from slipping, no ned for tape. This method works for a masonry drill bit too but they are still prone to wandering a little. Oh and never use hammer for obvious reasons.

For Porcelain, I have used the small diamond coated bits in the past, keep them wet and at slow revs, it’ll take a long time but you’ll get there. I have invested in Rubi dry drill bits that attach to my grinder, they make very light work of porcelain and are a dry system so everything isn’t wet through, theyre designed to run at 1400rpm. If you’ve got a lot of holes to drill in Porcs, you can get these from a GOOD tile merchant with an adapter for a std or sds drill but will be £25-30 for a 6 or 8mm.

Which ever method you use, don’t drill the tile joints, this can crack tiles and do push the wall plug right through the tile and into the wall behind, otherwise tightening the screw could crack the tile as the plug expands.

Hope this helps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has the OP done it? How did it go…I’ve been on tenterhooks all weekend. 🙂

senorj

Job was postponed . Thanks for the concern. 😀
    My Missus can’t decide where /or how high she wants the cupboards, towel rail etc…….. If I put them where i think they should go , it will be wrong. She has form for this type of behaviour. hohum.

Earl
    Free Member

Bought some diamond tipped core drills as pictured above. £4 on ebay for 2.

One hole in porcelain tile consumed both and one arrowhead bit. Took ages and ages.

Hoping you have ceramic…..

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Tile drilling’ is closed to new replies.