• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aw.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tight rims and punctures!
  • aw
    Free Member

I have a cyclo cross 'alan' framed single speed with shimano wheels. The wheels are rather nice but whatever tyres I have tried have been really tight on the rims. This is compounded by the fact that i seem to get more than my fair share of punctures. I now have had to swap to using metal tyre levers with the result of nasty notches and damage to the rims.

Can anyone suggest how I can improve this situation?
    Recommend me 'loose' fitting tyres?
    Any pre-preparation to tyres, rims, tubes?
    Use of puncture resistant tyres? Gators?

I use the cyclo cross for light off road duties and as a commuter to work (on road). do they do gators in tread or semi tread format?

D0NK

do you loosen the tyre first or just go at it with the levers?

Make sure tyre is away from the rim all the way round. Hold the wheel horizontally against your stomach, grab the far side of the tyre with both hands and try to pull the tyre round the rim, pull clockwise with your right hand, counter with left, you're aiming to get a slack spot near your stomach. Work your hands round the wheel pulling the tyre as you go. This method will get most tyres off mtbs without levers (maybe not DH tyres) road tyres IME are tighter but it should make it easier when you then use levers.

nickjb
    Free Member

The crank brothers tyre lever is really good. I've got a couple of tight tyres and it does the job. Puts them back on without straining the thumbs, too.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks Donk – I will try that technique. I have been changinh tubes for years but I will think of what you said next tiem I do one.

Thanks nickjob – i will check out the crank brothers levers – are they metal and are they strong? My plastic ones bend when I try to use them on these rims!

Tyredocter
    Free Member

ALWAYS push the tyre off the bead mount into the well of the rim When removing the tyre push the wheel down forcing both beads into the well Use a VAR chicken wishbone lever or better still the metal levers coated in Nylon from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop or Suoma or Raleigh [cyclelife.com] [steel core nylon tyre levers] cyclelife.com do a good range of 'cross tyres plus do puncture resistant tubes too Personally would reccomend the Halo Courier Berlin Puncture Proctetion tyre from billys.co.uk Avialable in a 29C Not a cross tyre I know yet is designed for on/off road plus is fast on the road too

coatesy
    Free Member

Also, remember that the valve will prevent the tyre dropping fully into the rim's well, and thus limit the slack you have to work with, so start working the tyre into the well from opposite the valve and removing it at the valve.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

When fitting my off road tyres to my motorbike I find some tyres can be a right Basket to put on.

What I do is get some washing liquid like fairy and water in a bucket and sponge the rim and the tyre slides on better and the lube dries quick from the washing up liquid properties.

Also talc the tube and make sure it is the right size on its max so it doesn't get caught.

mefty
    Free Member

I don't know what are loose but I tend to find Continental tyres are tight.

aw
    Free Member

thanks guys…well the alan has continental tyres so if I switch that maybe half the battle! (thanks melfy)

I will try the washing up liquid; I have heard of the talc or french chalk on the tube helping prevent punctures!

I feel some purchases coming on!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tight rims and punctures!’ is closed to new replies.