• This topic has 63 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Tie – Mandatory for Job Interview?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got an interview later this week for IT Project Manager job. I hate ties with a passion but had always taken the view that if you don’t wear a tie for a management interview you might as well not bother turning up.

Please could I have input from anyone who has recruited permie PMs whether they’d discount non tie wearers out of hand.

I’m not interested in stories from techies who wouldn’t dream of wearing a tie or who pour scorn on management wearing ties. That’s all a given.

I’m specifically looking for input from people on the other side of the table

cheers

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Depends on whether the guy (if applicable) on the other side of the table wears a tie or not. Why take the risk?

Wear one and if you get to reception and no one has a tie on, take it off.

AlasdairMc

Wear a tie to the interview, not for the job.

Edit: this is coming from a permie BA. Nobody wears ties here unless it’s a formal meet with our business stakeholders.

Clink

Wear a tie. It’s an interview.

scotroutes

It doesn’t matter what anyone on this forum thinks. The only opinion you’re interested in is that of the interviewer. As you can’t be sure of this before you go, wear a tie.

project
    Free Member

Be yourself, if you think a tie will give the job wear one,if you believe experience and qualifications and not wearing a tie will not let you get a job, try for another job.

richmars

Interviewed for a project manager last year. All wore ties, apart from the one lady candidate.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

useful input – thanks

The problem is that I look like a complete bell end in a tie. Or at least I feel like I look like a BE, and so exude bad vibes and lack of confidence.

Whereas with the other shirt and no tie combo I think I look adequate. So I feel more confident.

I’m striving for adequacy here, and the tie prevents that 😉

project
    Free Member

the generalist, you just asked the question and answered it.

If you where the other side of a table recruiting would a tie make any difference, compared to experience, personality, and ability to do the job.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

To give a bit more info, I have a smart dark blue suit, tie, shirt shoes etc along the lines of what you’d expect in a bank or something. But it doesn’t look like ‘me’

I have a linen/silk blend suit that I think I look ok in without a tie.( pretty new so not yet got that nasty crumpled look that pure linen suits get after 10 minutes wear)

But if I add the tie to the linen suit ensemble then it I just look a bit like a schoolbiy going for his uni interview; or a Unix guru going for hsi first team leader interview. It doesn’t go well together.

reedspeed
    Free Member

First impressions !,wear a tie & clean ya shoes,get a hair cut etc etc ….

smatkins1
    Free Member

Please could I have input from anyone who has recruited permie PMs

I’m not interested in stories from techies

I hate ties with a passion

Coming across narrow minded might hold you back more than the decision on the tie! Not intended as a personal dig, just an observation to help improve your chances of success…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mandatory ? No.
    Desirable ? Yes.
    Will you feel a dick if you didn’t wear one ? Depends on who you intend and hope to work for.

PM’ is a serious and pivotal role, you need to show both.

project
    Free Member

But why does a piece of linen tied round your kneck suddenly make you more suitable for a job than someone who doesnt wear a tie.

richmars

To be honest, it doesn’t matter what you like or feel more comfortable in. As has been said, it’s first impressions. Wear a tie.

poly
    Free Member

I interview for this type of role.

I’m amazed when graduate software developers turn up for interviews not wearing a tie, never mind someone who I might have to put in front of the board or a customer. It doesn’t necessarily do them any real harm* but I can’t imagine how wearing one could do you any harm. If you feel uncomfortable get a different tie and or shirt. You don’t need to look like you work in a bank.

By the way I personally hate ties, and only wear them for official duties!

*but if I have two equally good candidates and I need to decide between them then how would I imagine them in front of my customers is a question that makes the difference.

wordnumb
    Free Member

But why does a piece of linen tied round your kneck suddenly make you more suitable for a job than someone who doesnt wear a tie.

Because showing willingness to go along with bad / pointless ideas is desirable in contemporary society. Nobody likes a thinker, tie your own noose and toe the line.

scotroutes

There you go OP. You’ve got 8/9 folk saying you should wear one and only 1 saying not. What do you reckon the odds are that the interviewer will expect you to wear one?

footflaps

I’m amazed when graduate software developers turn up for interviews not wearing a tie, never mind someone who I might have to put in front of the board or a customer.

I never wore a tie for Board meetings and still don’t for customer meetings (mainly at C level). I’ve made the odd exception, I once had to make a presentation to all the 3 star generals in the Indian Army, so I did wear a tie for that, as military folk are a bit anal about dress code.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Even if everyone else is wearing t shirts, it will show that you are taking the interview seriously.

antennae
    Free Member

Nobody seems to have asked the obvious: what kind of company is it?

If it’s an ad agency, you’d be mad to wear one.

If it’s a bank, you’d be mad not to.

wordnumb
    Free Member

And if it’s a manufacturer of ties…

Drac

Looking smart and tidy is important, ties are an extra feature but not necessary. I’ve given jobs to those who wear them and those who don’t, all candidates I’ve recommended for the position have proven to be excellent members off staff.

mefty
    Free Member

Ties are uncomfortable if your shirt doesn’t fit properly around the neck, buy a shirt that fits – a decent shirt and tie is no more constricting than a t shirt.

chewkw
    Free Member

Black tie, black suit, black trousers, white shirt, black socks, black belt and black shoes.

jamj1974

As someone like Poly who has interviewed a lot of project and programme managers I would say yes, wear a tie. Personally I think there is a level of formality that many organisations expect in this situation and it doesn’t hurt to play the game…

Does a tie make someone better at their job – I think not!

mefty
    Free Member

Black tie, black suit, black trousers, white shirt, black socks, black belt and black shoes.

It is interview for a job not an audition for a remake of Reservoir Dogs.

EDIT: and most people look pretty stupid wearing two pairs of trousers.

jamj1974

I generally go light blue shirt and dark blue tie for interviews with a mid grey or navy suit.

poly
    Free Member

I never wore a tie for Board meetings and still don’t for customer meetings (mainly at C level). I’ve made the odd exception, I once had to make a presentation to all the 3 star generals in the Indian Army, so I did wear a tie for that, as military folk are a bit anal about dress code.

Were you ever so insecure in your own abilities to get the job despite what you were wearing that you asked a bunch of mountain bikers for dress advice? If not, then what YOU did is irrelevant.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I wear a T-shirt most days but I really can’t see an argument for not wearing a tie to an interview. Yes, they’re pointless, and no, they say absolutely nothing about how good you’d be at the job, but IMO not wearing one is introducing a variable that can potentially be interpreted to your disadvantage, and just wearing one isn’t.

Drac

It’s not a funeral.

footflaps

Nobody seems to have asked the obvious: what kind of company is it?

Tie Rack…

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Wearing a tie will either have a positive effect or none.
    Not wearing a tie will either have a negative effect or none.

I’m not bothered too much as long as the applicants are presentable, but in the event of a tie, the tie-wearer demonstrated that they were prepared to make a bit more effort.

project
    Free Member

Black tie, black suit, black trousers, white shirt, black socks, black belt and black shoes

Hope you dont suffer from dandruff, are you an undertaker

chewkw
    Free Member

mefty – Member

It is interview for a job not an audition for a remake of Reservoir Dogs.

EDIT: and most people look pretty stupid wearing two pairs of trousers.

Aye, you watch Reservoir Dogs too often.
    A pair of trousers but in a cold winter I would wear black long john too but avoid wool …

Drac – Moderator

It’s not a funeral.

You fashion police you … no you can still wear this combination so long as you look smart. 😯

project – Member

Hope you dont suffer from dandruff, are you an undertaker

Could be snowflake yes? But then if you have dandruff it does not matter what dark colour you wear it will be obvious unless you wear all white like Miami Vice … no?

For example like these blokes …

Ya like this …

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wearing a tie will either have a positive effect or none.
    Not wearing a tie will either have a negative effect or none.

Well put.

project
    Free Member

wearing a tie means you have the ability to tie a knot in some cloth round your neck without strangling yourself,

househusband

Andy_B

Having a girlfriend mention how wearing a tie is worth guaranteed action usually helps. Justmakesure she knows the rules

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

wearing a tie means you have the ability to tie a knot in some cloth round your neck without strangling yourself,

..which is fine if it’s you that’s doing the interviewing, but it probably won’t be

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Tie – Mandatory for Job Interview?’ is closed to new replies.