Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tide times August next year
  • allthegear
    Free Member

As the font of all random knowledge, does anyone here have access to tools that could look up the tide times in King’s Lynn on 17th August 2019?

I want to know if the high tide is in the middle of the day or not

Rachel

wrightyson
    Free Member

Magic seaweed, but you’ll have to become a premium user I believe. I think it free up to a month in advance, I use it when we go to Cornwall as the beach we visit is pretty tight for tides, always accurate at that range, as for a year away I’m not sure.

zippykona

Can I ask why?

Who are you pegging out at low tide?

gobuchul
    Free Member

You normally have to pay for more than a couple of weeks in advance.

There is free information here https://www.wtides.com/mdrte/index.php however, it only has limited number of UK ports.

The closest port on that index is Cromer, You could always look up the tides for Cromer and Kings Lynn on http://www.ukho.gov.uk/Easytide/easytide/SelectPort.aspx see what the approximate time difference is between them and then apply that to next years info on Cromer from the free website. It will be close enough if you just want a rough indication.

sockpuppet

Found times for Dover, should give some idea!

Looks like high tides at 0201 and at 1412, low at 0909 and 2127.

Looks like high water for most of the middle of the day.

http://cspf.co.uk/tide-tables/2019/08

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Found times for Dover, should give some idea!

Not nessecelery, I look at tides quite often for fishing & I just checked your theory. For instance according to  http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0089&PredictionLength=7, high water at Kings Lynn today is 1hr 2mins later than Dover (so one would think it was constant) but on Sunday there’s about 3 hours difference.

Long shot but I’d be phoning somewhere like Kings Lynn lifeboat station or the harbour office & ask really really nicely.

mrhoppy

Highwater is 8.12am in Kings Lynn.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Depending on the degree of accuracy needed, you could estimate as follows:

17th Aug 2019 is the day after full moon.

Spring tides (and neaps) are about 0700 (BST) at Kings Lynn (http://www.kingslynnport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Kings-Lynn-HW-2018-July-Dec.pdf)

Tide goes out for 6 hrs, then comes back in for 6 (more or less).

So at noon the tide will be on its last hour of ebb.

i.e. tide’s out at lunchtime.

edit: I was typing while MrHoppy beat me to it (and am quite pleased that they concur)

SaxonRider

nessecelery

I think you have just created my new favourite word.

zippykona

FFS TELL ME WHY!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kings Lynn is inland port, don’t forget to add in flow of the river.

The wash is notoriously tricky to predict flow becuse of a) the expanse and b) sandbar movement.

MCA have tide tables available.

eddie11
    Free Member

Don’t forget to factor in climate change of +7mm pa

IdleJon

Slightly OT – a question for the tide experts..

Here in Swansea bay we get big tides, always have, but I only remember the occasional huge tide (11m+) when I fished as a teenager. We seem to get a lot more huge tides recently. Have they increased in size, or am I just not remembering accurately?

gobuchul
    Free Member

MCA have tide tables available.

Really? I have no doubt the Coastguard have tide tables, however, they have nothing to do with producing them or providing them to the public.

allthegear
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

So, what I think I’m learning is that, on 17 Aug 2019, the tide will be low in King’s Lynn in the middle of the day.

The reason I was asking is I wanted to see if the Jet Ski racing will clash with King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Pride on that day as we can’t both close roads as the town will grind to a halt. They need high tides in the middle of the day (for the jet ski racing – the LGBT lot don’t seem that dependent upon the tides…)

Brill – thanks

Rachel

Nico
    Free Member

Here in Swansea bay we get big tides, always have, but I only remember the occasional huge tide (11m+) when I fished as a teenager. We seem to get a lot more huge tides recently. Have they increased in size, or am I just not remembering accurately?

Tides vary in height with the phases of the moon so you get bigger ranges at full and no moon and in spring and autumn. So if you fished occasionally in mid-summer the tides would be less extreme than if you were to go down to the beach at full moon sometime next month.

Stevet1
    Free Member

The reason I was asking is I wanted to see if the Jet Ski racing will clash with King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Pride on that day

Just as I thought.

jam-bo

Slightly OT – a question for the tide experts..

maybe, a full tidal cycle is 18.6 years.

scuttler

Properlol at Stevet1

mrhoppy

So, what I think I’m learning is that, on 17 Aug 2019, the tide will be low in King’s Lynn in the middle of the day.

Low water is 2.30 ish

bikebouy
    Free Member

You don’t have access to the MCA tide tables ?

Must just be me then.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You don’t have access to the MCA tide tables ?

Link please. Would be very useful.

bigjim

It’s low at 12:38 on that day at Leith. Just in case it pops up in a pub quiz like.

BigJohn

Who would like to tell me what time high water is at Porthcawl on 1st September this year.  State BST or GMT please.Not going to Portcawl (obs) but Nash beach hasn’t got its own station.  In fact it hasn’t got its own anything, except a beautiful empty beach at low tide.

konagirl
    Free Member

So glad to see the tide knowledge here!

BigJohn, for tides in the coming week, the Admiralty, magic seaweed and the BBC all publish tables.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/11/512#tide-details

As a rule of thumb (ignoring complicated towns up estuaries like Southampton) you can role high and low water forward by ~40 minutes per day. So for Porthcawl on 1 Sep, high water will be roughly 11am BST and low water 5pm BST, to within an hour.

konagirl
    Free Member

There are also high and low water predictions 28 days ahead for a more limited number of sites by the National Tide and Sea Level Facility

http://www.ntslf.org/tides/predictions

jam-bo

you can role high and low water forward by ~40 minutes per day.

If by ~40, you mean 50. ;-)…

mrhoppy

The navionics app is hugely useful for these kind of things.

konagirl
    Free Member

Jam bo of course you are right, in that the moon rotates around the Earth every 28 days, so on a water Earth of equal depth the lunar tide moves forward by 24/28 hours = 51 minutes each day. But the actual observed shift also depends on the solar tide and on local water depth and how the tide wave moves around the coast. It’s a rough estimate!

jam-bo

I know. I make tide gauges. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

When I re-join Seaham Sea Angling Club in January I’ll be able to give you the tide times & heights for each day until 31 Dec! (cos I get a likkle book wot tells me)

But like JamBo says, there’s a difference of between 30-40 mins & 40-50 mins for each tide, so say if you know the last high water time for next Tuesday you can get  ballpark times for about the next 5-6 days.

Then it goes to rat shit. 🙂

BigJohn

Thanks all.  Konagirl, your rule of thumb seems to work.  From my calculations it’s 11 and 5 as you say.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

High water is at 08.20/7.43mtrs then at 20.51/6.95mtrs.

Kings Lynne harbour office said so.

allthegear
    Free Member

Heh – thanks.

I live about 100m from the Harbour Office – it never occurred to me to just walk round and ask!! 😀

Rachel

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No worries Rachel, although I did suggest that on the 5th reply in!

I’m 65 miles from the sea but often phone Seaham marina to ask what how the sea’s running before I set off fishing, if the pier’s gonna be awash we know not to bother.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m 65 miles from the sea

No your not. That’s impossible in the UK. 🙂

Rich_s

At the risk of being rubbished, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms

…or you could just watch a few episodes of Bullseye so see who won a speedboat and make a note of where they lived?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tide times August next year’ is closed to new replies.