Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ticks. Will I die?
  • weare138
    Free Member

Found one on my arm, it looks full. Took it off and squashed the little bar steward. I doused the wound in gin ( no alcohol wipes available). Lots of antiseptic. What can I expect?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Lymes Diseases if you didn’t take it out properly.

deadslow

You need to keep in case you get ill in the next 2 weeks then present to the DR who can work out what is killing you……….good luck. Did you get all of it out?

Mantastic
    Free Member

Can I have your bike if you are over come with illness

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The odds of Lymes are small. But as I know someone who got it from one bite (walking a dog near Edinburgh) and seeing how devastating it is, I’d not be taking too many chances. I count my previous piggyback buddies as a caution.

#Edit: Cut and paste from Wiki: Not trying to alarm or anything. If in doubt, get it checked, especially as its easily fixed if not ignored and diagnosed early.

Early symptoms may include fever, headache, fatigue, depression, and a characteristic circular skin rash called erythema migrans (EM). Left untreated, later symptoms may involve the joints, heart, and central nervous system. In most cases, the infection and its symptoms are eliminated by antibiotics, especially if the illness is treated early.[6] Delayed or inadequate treatment can lead to more serious symptoms, which can be disabling and difficult to treat.[7]

AdamW
    Free Member

Depends if you were in deer country. Partner got classic Lymes symptoms after visiting Scotland (bullseye inflammation). Quick course of antibiotics later and he was fine.

jonba
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the area for a rash but don’t worry. If we’re doing anecdotal evidence then I’ve lost count of the number of tick bites I’ve had and no nasty illnesses have struck me down.

weare138
    Free Member

Thanks. I was at Powys Castle deer park attached :-/ will see the doc and get some ab sorted. Cheers.

bigjim

I wouldn’t say you need to do anything unless you have symptoms, certainly I’d be amazed if you are prescribed the antibios with no symptoms. Having spent many years crashing around the heather I’ve probably had over a hundred ticks, and not had suspected lyme’s until last summer. I had a pretty weird rash around the bite, though not quite the classic bullseye shape, bit squished and lopsided, was enough for a course of antibios to be safe.

gordimhor

I had a tick bite a couple of years back. I didn’t get the whole thing out and developed a rash round the bite .I went to the doctor who gave me some magnesium sulphate cream sorted it out in a couple of days. Don’t think you need to worry just keep an eye out for the “bullseye” rash.

Clover

I’ve had that rash after a tick bite but it wasn’t immediate. Took me a while to connect the two events – wasn’t completely circular but it kind of moved. Said bite was in Germany in a Lymes area. I went and asked for the relevant antibiotics and they were forthcoming (with my mother haranguing me from Germany so I wouldn’t take no for an answer).

The antibiotics make you light sensitive – I managed to spend the best two weeks of that summer wearing full length sleeves and sitting in the shade 🙁

kerbdog
    Free Member

A Swedish friend of mine who was in the army told me that as recruits they were issued with garlic powder to mix in their meals, he swore blind that it helped keep ticks away.
    I used to get attacked by the little buggers quite regularly until i started taking garlic on the mornings i was gonna be outdoors.. Seemed to work for me too.

obelix
    Free Member

Work in forestry, so get a couple ticks every week during summer. No Lymes disease so far, and the forests in Aberdeenshire are full of deer. Man up and stop being a baby, you don’t need to go to the doctor about one tick bite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Man up and stop being a baby, you don’t need to go to the doctor about one tick bite.

Most probably not but learn how to remove them properly

Simple thing to lob in your first aid kit

obelix
    Free Member

Looks like an ace bit of kit that, will look for one. Now the missus has got another mission on her hands, alongside pruning of ear hair…

andytherocketeer

Several of those pocket-sized first aid kits contain such a device. Mine does. In fact I even chose it based on the fact that it was included. The contents are usually written on the packaging somewhere.

piemonster

Home

I’ve had many many many tick bites. My record stands at 18. (Tentsmuir Forest, Fife)

Extract them properly and promptly then keep them Watch out for the warning signs for infection.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

You wont necessarily get a rash, acquaint yourself with the symptoms of Lyme and keep an eye on yourself.

piemonster

As above, I use http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Great bit of kit, simple but effective. Some folk seem happy to leave some fingernails a bit long and use them. I prefer the tick twister as I find the Ticks survive the extraction more reliably.

You don’t want to scratch off or damage the tick. I usually lob them into a small clear plastic cylinder.

Hateful little things. Now my legs are itchy.

piemonster

And they get everywhere the vile little things.

Friend got one under his foreskin, bluergh.

Worst I’ve had was right in my belly button. Awkward.

piemonster

Itchy, itchy, now very itchy.

bigjim

Friend got one under his foreskin, bluergh.

nice action! I’ve had a couple on the shaft and more on the bag, must be hot down there…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Recently on that there BBC News site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22468181

piemonster

nice action! I’ve had a couple on the shaft and more on the bag, must be hot down there…

Apparently they like moist places 😯

dashed
    Free Member

Mate had one right up his arse crack. Went for a number 2 and must have “burst” the blighter as the bowl was full of blood and he got a proper fright. His missus had the unpleasant task of removing said critter from the middle of the bullseye 😯

Pet shops and vets for those little green tick removers – fab things and come in a pack of two different sizes for different sized ticks.

dan1980
    Free Member

I had the “pleasure” of removing one from my nether regions.

The cuddly little fella most probably crept on board when I brushed my sack through grass when I went for an al fresco number 2.

klumpy
    Free Member

My second tick, I went to the docs so that the bite would be “on the record” in case I got ill (GPs being useless with lymes). They said the tick had broken the skin so I must go to ‘minor injuries’ down the road. “Pah” thunked I, and tried the local pet shop instead, but they were closed. The local Tinknels had no tick pullers, just lots of hardy hairy-knuckled and woefully outdated folklore recommending vaseline, fire, firearms, or sucking it off with a frogs arse.

And so in the end I actually went to the damn hospital. Their tick pullers had a picture of a dog on the wrapper.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ticks. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.