Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Ticks in Leigh Woods
  • Moses

Maroon, check your whole body when you shower after a ride. Have a close look at any new blemish, from poppy-seed size upwards to 6-7mm length. Ticks (google images) are little legged creatures, you can see the legs even on the smallest ones. They range from pale grey to black in colour.
    They latch onto a leg & crawl up to somewhere warm, or where the lycra starts. I’ve had them in armpits and groin, so check carefully all over. You might notice them by feel, like new scabs.

SOAP
    Free Member

I survived with all four limbs intact.
    If this thread gets any more Daily Mail I’m gonna start riding in a chemical warfare outfit.
    Moses do you really check your whole body after every ride?
    Dogs get Ticks because they scamp around at low level through the undergrowth.
    Never had a tick after 10 years of riding on the Quantocks.
    Probably get 50 bites now.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve never even considered ticks before now.

Pretty scared about this evenings ride!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

I used to get them all the time on the quantocks. Just pull them out and don’t worry about it. It certainly never occurred to me to get antibiotics I’d have been to the go every other week if I did.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

You only need antibiotics if you get bitten by an infected tick not for every bite 😉

Never had a tick after 10 years of riding on the Quantocks

You’re lucky, i reckon I’ve had well over 30 there in the last 3 or 4 years. It got to the stage where i was getting 2-3 per ride last year then i had the red ring/bullseye rash come up around one bite and ended up on antibiotics for 2 weeks. I always wear lycra tights under my shorts now so i can’t pick any up.

If anyone ever gets this come up around a tick bite get it checked out asap!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I got a Tick on my ballbag once. I didn’t die.

Hope that helps.

maroonbells
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bloody horrifying though!

deluded
    Free Member
    yetidan
    Free Member

A friend of mine has Lymes, which he caught in the US. It’s a pretty bad disease, I’d rather be too cautious, even if it means no booze for a week!

The whole not drinking on antibiotics thing is a bit of a myth. It’s only really Metronidazole and tinidazole you need to worry about, anything else is alright within reason.

mrchrispy

Most of my riding is on the road now so it’s just the pricks I need to look out for

/gets coat

tallie
    Free Member

This is a quite useful link although a couple of years old now:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=398

Moses

Maroon, sort-of. I look out for ticks when I shower after a ride – if I’m washing all over it’s not an effort as I’m not a hairy bloke. It depends on the place & season. Winter across the Qs wouldn’t be a worry, but going through chest-height bracken somewhere else would be.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Tickcard ftw, even had to use it mid ride. After a ride and woodland bbq i had to remove 5 from me n the mrs. At the rate i get them, I’m gonna stock up on deet rather than be on Doxycycline for the rest of my life.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

double post. sorry

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I just rode LW and AC last night. I don’t think I have any, but I’m scratching all over right now just reading this thread. Ticks/lyme disease really scare me.

flatfish
    Free Member

After not collecting any on my ride this morning I’ve just found one on my leg after walking the dog this evening. 🙄

blisterman1962
    Free Member

We’ve got 2 cats, ticks are rife – we took four off one the other day, and are finding at least one on each cat every day.

Neither have shown any ill effects.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

We dont live in Leigh Woods, btw. Or anywhere near it.

boxfish
    Free Member

<Upon return from said woods, is almost disappointed by the lack of blood sucking parasites> 😛

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yetidan

The whole not drinking on antibiotics thing is a bit of a myth. It’s only really Metronidazole and tinidazole you need to worry about, anything else is alright within reason.

well, that depends on whether you want them to be affective or not. Best to avoid milk with doxycycline as well.

plyphon
    Free Member

well, that depends on whether you want them to be affective or not. Best to avoid milk with doxycycline as well.

Actually he’s quite right.

The myth stems from basically people being infected with STD’s, drinking and getting horny before the treatment has had time to take effect, and then infecting further people.

Thus, doctors told them if they drunk whilst on anti-biotics they would be ineffective.

There are a small number you cannot drink on, but your doctor will explicitly tell you this when prescribing the medicine.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Reading though the posts, two things that I’d like to mention
    The vaccine was withdrawn due to it causing Lyme Arthritis and you won’t necessarily get a Bulls Eye rash

sweepy
    Free Member

The vaccine was withdrawn due to it causing Lyme Arthritis

Lyme and vaccination are both subject of controversy, do some reading and make your own minds up on this.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You could start reading here, though it’s rather old…

Lyme Disease – everything you wanted to know (and stuff you wish you didn’t)

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Ticks in Leigh Woods’ is closed to new replies.