Ticks in Leigh Woods

Home Forum Bike Forum Ticks in Leigh Woods

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Ticks in Leigh Woods
  • wordnumb

Were you riding continuously or did you stop / sit down anywhere?

flatfish

Doesn’t really matter if you stop or carry on.
    I picked one up about 4 weeks ago bashing down a trail that was getting quite overgrown.
    Found it on my wrist about an hour later.
    Got it off there and then with some tick twisters and no ill effects to report.

Just a quick warning and reminder. I had to remove 2 ticks that had bitten me after riding a LW this week. Currently on a course of antibiotics.

that’s the first time I’ve been bitten, we were riding off piste where they are probably more common.

I’ll be carrying a tick remover from now on and checking for them after rides.

ChunkyMTB

Check behind your knees too, they like warm moist places

One of mine was on my chest, dont know how I missed it when I showered after. The other was behind my knee. We didnt stop for long, only to put some pads on at the top of that new trails with the silly jumps in it.

But we rode down some overgrown stuff where there are probably more deer around.

Pulled them both out carefully with tweezers and have ordered one of those tick remover credit card thingies. Fingers cross no long lasting issues.

bencooper

With no symptoms, aren’t antibiotics a bit OTT?

boxfish

The undergrowth has gone wild this last week up there. It’s amazing how quickly some of the trails become overgrown.

<goes to eBay and orders tick twisters>

Premier Icon tuffty
    Subscriber

The o tom tick twister is the best imho.

bencooper – sorry, my post wasnt supposed to be a Daily Mail type scare story. But…. there is evidence that a quick blast of antibiotics can prevent Lymes Disease if adminstered early enough. You can have the disease for a month or more with no symptoms. 4 hours is enough time for an infected tick to transfer the disease, they were in me for more than 24, though no idea if they are carriers.

And, in my case, I’ve just finished a course of steriods, so am a bit susceptable to infections.

A friend of mine has Lymes, which he caught in the US. It’s a pretty bad disease, I’d rather be too cautious, even if it means no booze for a week!

wavejumper

eeek. Just ordered a tick twister as well.

bigyinn
    squaremonkey

agentdagnamit where about does the new trail you mention start from?

squaremonkey – it you ride Yer Tiz, to the point before it crosses a fireroad and begins to climb a litte (but the fireroad before where the switch backy climb starts), there’s a trail that comes down from the left and actually crosses Yer Tiz. Which isnt good…

The trail carries on to the right, where there is a small clearing just off Yer Tiz. There’s a couple of lines starting there, the left hand one down over a little rock garden (that most lyrca clad Strava monkeys racing the blue route would avoid).

The longer route fallows the fall line of the valley, swoops side to side across the bottom of it, then has some ridiculous jumps, that are noteable for their size and absence of any real landing. Certianly not for me.

To be honest, I much prefer Picnic Bench(es) and Knicker, but it was interesting to find these “new” ones. I suspect the jumps will be destroyed.

Whilst we’re on the subject, I also rode down into Nightingale Valley from the old fort. That’s a pretty steep run….

But if I had to guess, I may have been ticked on the route that starts just NW of the fort (near a no biking sign), where where’s a fairly new kissing gate by that limestone rockgarden that drops to the trail. It then runs right out onto the Pill path (and into the path of the Triathalon runners if you rode it on Sunday!).

Premier Icon DoctorRad
    Subscriber

I picked up a tiny one the size of a poppy seed in Leigh Woods on Sunday, but I’d spent half and hour with secateurs on a section of off-piste trail, so it’s hardly surprising. Too small for a tick twister, I pulled it off with tweezers and it hadn’t even got down to the blood, thankfully.

bencooper

But…. there is evidence that a quick blast of antibiotics can prevent Lymes Disease if adminstered early enough.

Interesting – I’ve always just removed them and kept an eye out for a red rash. The twist-type removers are brilliant.

pjt201

agentdagnamit – Member

The longer route fallows the fall line of the valley, swoops side to side across the bottom of it, then has some ridiculous jumps, that are noteable for their size and absence of any real landing. Certianly not for me.

That’s not new, it’s been there for years in some form or another. Doesn’t really get ridden much because it’s a dead end (unless you climb over the railway line…)

There seems to be mixed opinion on how common a sign the bullseye rash is, somewhere between 40% and 90% I think. My friend has spend £12k of his own money on treatment over the last 2 years, as he reckons the NHS dont really understand the disease.

Thanks DrRad, good work

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Our local vet has warned us that there’s a huge number of ticks around this year & to keep an eye on the mutt – hadn’t even considered being affected myself. :-\

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Quite a few of us in the Cheesy Riders have caught ticks in AC and LW in the last few months. Be careful, people!

Premier Icon ffej
    Subscriber

Pulled the first tick of the year out of my puppy dog’s ear the other day. Will be checking her daily from now on. The tick twisters great and worth the couple of quid.

Jeff

spando

OP has a point using a single dose Doxycycline as a prophylactic is a good idea and is recommended. Though I have had 6 ticks already this season one on my ball sack 😳 but I have noticed them soon after being out in the forest and removed with the otom remover.
    I never bothered with the Doxycycline, but now you got me thinking I should try and get hold of some for future use.
    In the past I have been treated twice even though the test was negative as I was symptomatic and the test is only 50% accurate! You are usually asked to come back for another test but I don’t see the point just get treated to be safe.
    Tick related diseases can and will continue to ruin lives unless there is more public education regarding the risks.

pocketrocket

Well that was my quickest Ebay purchase ever!
    typed in , o Tom , 1st result tick twister, Buy it now?
    Hell Yeah!!!!
    ( hoping I never have to use it though! )

squaremonkey

agentdagnamit – I think I know the ones you mean, all the gulley jumps towards the bottom.

If you regularly ride with your other half, why not incorporate routine tick checking into a fun game for the 2 of you?

I’m sure Spando would agree..

khegs

Found a small tick by my knee a couple of weeks ago, after having gone out to LW, I had had to spend a while fixing punctures, so I figure it hopped on my then.

Hadn’t got down to blood, & no rash, though the bite itself is still a little red. Hopefully I’ve been lucky, but has made me more careful about checking myself.

Got some tick tweezers from Cotswolds, a couple of quid, so a complete no-brainer

DaddyJim

Also worth check a few days after as well. I found one a couple of days after a ride, it wasn’t attached so I can only assume that I it was in my shoe and made the move when I put my shoes back on to ride to work.

I’m almost tempted to shave/trim my leg hair to make it more difficult for them to latch on.

eskay

Check your belly buttons as well. I had one embedded in mine as a kid after building bivouacs in the woods.

sweepy

If I took antibiotics everytime I got a tick i’d rattle when I walk. I check everynight when I shower and remove. I know that as Spando says, tick borne disease can be serious but changing my life to avoid them would ruin it more.

Premier Icon DoctorRad
    Subscriber

My friend has spend £12k of his own money on treatment over the last 2 years, as he reckons the NHS dont really understand the disease

I have a friend in the same position, it has ruined her life. NHS diagnosis and treatment of Lyme’s is diabolical. Perhaps it will take a critical mass of cases for Something To Be Done, but with the NHS seemingly being privatised, I somehow can’t see that happening…

sweepy – if it was sheep ticks then I’d agree, but there aint no sheep in Leigh Woods. That, and the steroids, made me err on the side of caution.

sweepy

Thats fair enough, If I got a tick once in a blue moon i’d probably err on the side of caution. But I live in an area rich in sheep and deer and can get upwards of 50 in a good year (for them).
    I think there used to be a vaccine but it was withdrawn because of anti vaccine lobbying.

Funny how we think there arent really any poisonous animals in the UK (well, I’ve seen 2 adders in my 43 years), but the local woods are infested with virtually invisible critters that can give you some serious bad news.

Ah, no, gone Daily Mail again….

SOAP

Wish me luck I will be mincing around off piste in a bit..
    Do base layers stop the little critters ?

meribelmtb

Plus one for the antibiotic prophylaxis. I ended up with Lymes after being bitten last November. Got a bullseye rash and didn’t think anything of it then ended up with flu like symptoms and stiff neck and shoulder.

Had two weeks on antibiotics but it has taken 4 – 5 months to be shot of it completely. It left me vulnerable to any virus which came through resort all through the winter and generally lethargic and listless.

Thankfully I’ve had no ill effects since then but there are some proper horror stories out there and it can be completely debilitating. If you do end up on antibiotics I found that a course of probiotics afterwards helped restore a bit of balance. Normally I’m not an advocate of alternative remedies but they did seem to help.

flatfish

AC/LW/50acre and Plantation ridden this morning and not a tick in sight when I finished.

maroonbells

Can someone please explain how easy they are to spot if they are on you. Can you feel them if you run your hand over the area or do you need to look? Never seen one myself.

phil.w

If you look they’re easy to spot visually.

Except on the dog when they get hidden by her coat, so I just run my hands through her hair and they’re easy to feel.

Soap – good luck, ride like the wind and they wont be near you.

Pretty sure they cant get through clothes. Leeches seem to be able to do this, but they seem to get under mine then head for warm areas….

Just be very careful when removing them, google the proper techniques or get a tool. There’s a lot of bad advice about using a match or vaseline, you want to avoid that sort of thing.

Can someone please explain how easy they are to spot if they are on you. Can you feel them if you run your hand over the area or do you need to look? Never seen one myself.

They can be very small – the nymphs are little more than a speck.

1. A speck of dirt the doesn’t come off when showering. Look closer and you can see it’s got legs

2. I react quite strongly with an immediate rash and irritation at bite. This is how I usually find them, burrowing into me in the night.

A nymph woke me up Monday night while in Germany, in the back of my thigh. It had just gone-in (no blood in its abdomen). It had escaped the shower, sleeping, changes of clothes, flying to Germany etc, to bite 36 hours after I was out riding in the UK. Quite usual. I got it out with with two credit cards, not having the tool or tweezers to hand.

rondo101

I don’t usually notice them on me until the morning after in the shower (hence why I’ve now got tick twisters in my locker at work), but as I’ve found quite a few on me from riding Bristol’s trails of late, I’ve been a little more fastidious in my post-ride checks. The problem is they can be really small until they’ve started harvesting your blood.

I’ve also started using DEET-based insect repellent & since doing so haven’t been bitten.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Ticks in Leigh Woods’ is closed to new replies.