Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ticks
  • slowjo
    Free Member

After a ride last night a couple of us discovered we had picked up some unwelcome passengers.

As it is a little early for flying/biting things yet, I haven’t bothered with the normal application of Skin so Soft but I was wondering whether it would have a similar deterrent effect on ticks. Any thoughts anyone?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/

Make sure you remove them correctly and watch out for symptoms of Lyme disease, which can seriously **** you up.

Insect repelant can help keep them off in the first place.

slowjo
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

I discovered mine before they attached. Not sure about any of the others.

Looks like I had better go and dig out the repellant then!

eulach

No repellants are totally effective for everyone. If you’re worried cover up – long trousers/tights tucked into your socks. There’s a much reduced chance of borreliosis infection if you get the tick out cleanly within an hour. Don’t get bitten by the encephalitis carrying ones though….

sandwicheater

Where you based slowjo? Wandering if West Yorkshire has the wee suckers.

slowjo
    Free Member

Suffolk….flatland ticks here sandwicheater. They are however, everywhere particularly where you have sheep, deer, cattle….

Nasty little critters. The best way to avoid them is to ride on the road until it gets colder and wetter again but that might just go against the grain! 🙂

verses

Picked one up in the Lakes last month, didn’t find it for at least 24hrs. The O’Toms I bought from my Lymes-rep co-worker a while ago did the trick.

No bulls-eye rash, so hopefully the little sod hadn’t done any harm…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ticks’ is closed to new replies.