Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tibia Fracture – I've done mine, have you ever done it ?
  • GhostRider
    Free Member

steveinthepeaks
    Free Member

ouch!

I've broken my fibia and tibia about 9 years ago playing football. Plaster for about 4 months. Nurses were convinced i had been beaten up due to the x ray.

ggod luck with the recovery

Smee
    Free Member

Nicely done.

Do you mind if I use that picture for a presentation i'm doing?

GhostRider
    Free Member

Yep 20weeks is what i recon, although docs havn't said much yet, should find out more in a week or so.

GhostRider
    Free Member

Whats the prsentation for Goan ?

backhander
    Free Member

I have done my tibia and fibula. Hurts.

Smee
    Free Member

Psychology of pain as part of my physio degree.

rouler
    Free Member

Ouch! Did my Tibia and Fibula in June this year, stopped using crutches about 3-4 weeks ago and walk with a fetching gait at the moment, and have got on bike in last month every week also, it's a long road, I think the the thing to remember is let it heal! Good luck.

GhostRider
    Free Member

Use the pick Goan.

Smee
    Free Member

Cheers.

Smee
    Free Member

Question for you. Did it hurt when you did it?

GhostRider
    Free Member

It probably did hurt, but lets just say i can't remember.

Curly68
    Free Member

I did mine racing BMX quite a few years ago.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I broke my fibula in May 06. Dislocated the ankle too. The fracture didn't hurt that much but the dislocation certainly did.

In plaster for about 7 weeks, then had the screws removed from my ankle. The first physio session I had got me walking properly again

teagirl
    Free Member

How did you do that? Guess it lets you off making Xmas lunch then. Keep those pin sites clean! All the very best!

carlosg
    Free Member

Bust my tib and fib when I was 17 (god that seems so long ago 😥 ) , the doc's said it was the cleanest break they'd ever seen and looked like it was done with a saw.

I hit a car that turned across my path whilst riding a vespa. Being young it healed in just over 8 weeks , slept too many times to remember what it was like.

john_drummer
    Free Member

here are my x-rays:

let this be a warning: if you find yourself riding "The Beast" in the Peak District and think "I don't like the look of all those step downs, it'll be safer to walk", think again

carlosg
    Free Member

let this be a warning: if you find yourself riding "The Beast" in the Peak District and think "I don't like the look of all those step downs, it'll be safer to walk", think again

LOL , that was exactly my thought as my 38lb 6" bike hit me on the back of my helmet after going over the bars coming down 'Jacobs Ladder'.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was gingerly walking my bike down the beast when I slipped on a wet rock. Foot turned 90degrees to the left, but the leg didn't. SNAP.

If I'd ridden down I would probably have been ok.

easygirl

tib and fib about 10 years ago, docs told me 6-8 weeks, i was 8 months in plaster, 3 months recovering!!

timber

had a compound fracture of the tib and fib about 10 years ago, bones out through the skin, toes touching back of knee after ballsing up a big jump

my frame was a straight jobby rather than a surround, done mine 3 days before Christmas, walking on crutches in 2 days and without crutches after 2 months, then frame was taken out when the consultant found some allen keys in his office 5 months after it was bolted in. feels a bit odd having a 6 inch M8 bolt taken out your leg

shall find a pic

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Should have shaved your toes for that first photo

timber

they only bolted the big bone at the front, last x-ray on it 4 years ago, showed the back bone just forming back to original shape at last, rather than stepped join

nerves and circulation still a bit odd, but leg functions plenty good enough

zaskar
    Free Member

Ouch!

Get better soon and back on the bike for Spring!

GhostRider
    Free Member

Thanks for reposnses,

Teagirl – Infection is a worry and how i did this was a very stupid accident that had nothing to do with bikes.

Once everything clears up ex-fix removed, out of cast and a bit of physio etc is full movement to be expected? if not has this affected anyones riding i.e. less adventurous not ride so far, and what about driving will an automatic be easier in future ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Did my tib and fib skiing when I was 8.
    Don't remember it hurting but do remember I had to be put in a wheelbarrow to go to the shops with the other kids and being upset as it was on the second day of a week long school trip. There again not as bad as the girl who we watched get off the coach as they first arrived at the hotel – she shipped on the ice and broke her arm 😯
    I was off school for about 6 weeks after that.

wwaswas

"Infection is a worry and how i did this was a very stupid accident that had nothing to do with bikes"

you jumped in a slurry pit that was shallower than you thought and ended up with an open fracture?

looks painful.

I broke my femoral neck about 7 years ago. Only realy advice I've got is whatever the physio's say do it to often and do it well. If it doesn't hurt like hell you're probably not trying at the stretches in my experience.

jedi

4 weeks to the day i was riding herts shore again.

the last pic i took as soon as i woke up. i took off the dressings and sent my mates the pic and told them to bring beers 🙂

Lucas
    Free Member

Which bit have you broken? Straight through the mid way part of the bone? If so you should get full movement back no problem.

I broke my Tibial plateau a few years ago:

and can do everything I could do before. It took about 3 months before I got back riding and I'm even running on it now (never did running before I did it).

Lucas
    Free Member

There you go if I had photos they'd look just like Jedi's……I wasn't man enough to ride in 4 weeks though – that's pretty impressive!

Jedi have you got a nice bony lump on the outside of your knee and a bit of bone missing from your hip?

jedi

lucas, was about to post we did the same thing 🙂 🙂

jedi

big lump on outside of knee. but had coral bone graft on the plataeu

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Yeh tibia; skiing aged about 10 when my Dad fell on me.
    My Mum was about 50 meters away & heard the snap … he still feels bad about it & I am 44 now.

Sorry no x rays but I have a tiny amount of toe in on my left leg, probably wouldnt show on a photo though. My left foot is 2 sizes bugger since then though, they think no shoes during a growing phase may have done it

timber

used to clean my bolts twice a day, must make sure to pull the skin away, otherwise it will envelop the frame with enough time, so they told me

you should move plenty well again from my experience, if your frame works like mine did, you'll have less muscle wastage than if cast as you can carry more weight on it (all of it). my problems are from ripping the skin, the bone is good, any loss in my riding ability is in the head. initially I couldn't run around corners/turn – but now fine. not quite as flexible, but I am happy to scratch just my chin with my toes with that leg as the other will still reach my ears

with wwaswas on the physio, at the time I thought mine was on earth to make my life hell

heres to a slow winter and hope you get riding soon, I went the afternoon after the frame was out (would've gone before but it hit the crank arm)

donald
    Free Member

Spiral fracture of tib and fib when I was about twelve. Yes it was sore until they took the ski off and straightened it out a bit.

13 weeks in plaster.

It's the only one of my injuries that has caused no after effects whatsoever. Broken finger, dodgy back, dislocated shoulder, broken toe and wrists all still give me problems but not the leg.

Stop moaning man 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tibia Fracture – I've done mine, have you ever done it ?’ is closed to new replies.