Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tibbie Sheils Inn to B709
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Anyone know if this track is rideable on a road bike? Particularly as it has been bone dry for the past couple of weeks. Old OS maps have it marked as a public road so am wondering if it still possible to ride it?

Going to be down that way on the road bikes tomorrow so thinking of checking it out.

birky
    Free Member

Not much help but I did it on the motorbike 10+ years ago and it was fine (as best I can remember).

Some pics on geograph –

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=557470

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=557469

scotroutes

I was just about to suggest geograph 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I had had a look on Google Earth but not used Geographe before. Looks like it’s worth having a look.

Should make a nice diversion instead of the slog into tomorrow’s east wind from the bottom of the Talla Road along to the Gordon Arms.

onehundredthidiot

Do you mean up and over the captain’s Road? On a road bike?

Nah its rough farm track. And the captains Road gets a touch soft in places.

Gordon arms is the way,

joshvegas
    Free Member

Roadbike…. how big are your tyres?

Disclaimer i was on foot.
    Disclaimer 2. If its the track i think you are talking about that runs between loch if the lowes and st marys…

Its a proper track up to the forestry bit loose but you’ll probably be okay at low speed.

Not sure about in the forestry as it was detoured due to felling last year and we were never planning to shoot out the other end instead we were planning to loop back down after a stretch of the suw.

I’d certainly give it a crack mud wont’t be an issue i’d have thought even without the fact its drysabone. Its a bit rougher at the start climbing out until you pass the farm on the right so dont give up too early. Worst that happens is you turn round or push.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well there is two different opinions 😛

In all honesty i was walking so don’t hold me to it

ElShalimo

If you mean the track that heads off SE(ish) from the Inn then you’ll be hike a bike after a very short time with a road bike.
    One you get round the back of Earl’s Hill you’ll want a MTB even if you head off NE. Not been on the SE Captain’s Road but walking above it, it doesn’t look road bike friendly.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers again for the various replies. I wasn’t meaning the Captain’s Rd that meets the B709 at Hopehouse. We are planning to take the track SE out of Tibbie Sheils (have done this bit as part of the Dirty Tri a few years ago) but instead of heading to Hopehouse the plan is to turn NE and meet the B709 at the top of the Berrybush climb. That’s the bit that’s marked as a public road on OS maps from the thirties.

Ultimately I guess there’s only one way to find out if it’s road bike friendly…………luckily the pal I’m riding with is well aware of the success rate of previous such “good ideas”!!

kennyp
    Free Member

Am just back from the ride and am happy to report the whole section is totally rideable on a road bike.

That’s with the caveats that we were on winter bikes with sturdy wheels and 28 mm tyres, and it was bone dry. Wouldn’t fancy it in wet, muddy conditions, and wouldn’t advise taking your fancy carbon wheels over it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hapoy days.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tibbie Sheils Inn to B709’ is closed to new replies.