Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tiagra bottom bracket
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Remember someone saying they used these on their MTB.

Given that they’re £5 at Rose is there any reason not to buy when compared with Deore at over double?

How different are they in reality?

wwaswas

I thought the bearings were a different width on road BB’s so the Axle on an MTB crankset wouldn’t fit?

orangeboy
    Free Member

I know the road cups do not use the plastic spacers like mtb one so might not leave enough thread in the frame if you added your old ones.

Guess the inner tube would be shorter too on the road one
    But you could prob use the old one or none at all

But I have not tried it myself

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Tiagra BB in my road bike lasted 260 mud free miles, wouldnt bother with it.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Fair do’s, thanks.

Back to Deore.

zilog6128

tiagra BB in my Croix de Fer has done almost 2000 miles (a lot of those on muddy/dusty bridleway). It does need replacing but there is still life in it yet! Would be v happy to get another 2k miles for only a fiver! Might get something more bling though 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

and for balance, the sora BB on my commuter has done around 1000km/600miles in filhy, salty, muddy conditions.

and it’s fine.

njee20
    Free Member

I got about 3000 winter road miles out of my Tiagra BB until it really was so trashed I had to replace it. I was happy with that.

But for the reasons mentioned above with lack of thread engagement on an MTB I’d not be keen.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I stripped mine and found next to no grease in it, which was why it was trashed, I packed with grease but the damage was done. I fitted a much better BB with less resistance and much smoother. i find Shimano BB’s very stiff turning even in XT form.

schmiken

Road and MTB cups are different widths, your cranks probably wouldn’t fit properly.

iain1775
    Free Member

Tiagra fitted on my mtb fine
    Road doesn’t use the plastic spacers, mtb uses 3 (68mm width) that’s all surely?
    If your concerned about central tube reuse one of your old BB!
    And as for road bearings on an mtb, the only bb that will fit my Meta AM without modification is a road Dura-Ace one, the bearings look identically sealed to an xt level bb92 press fit one and it’s lasting fine so far

coatesy
    Free Member

Shimano road BBs are wider than MTB ones, 3mm overall if memory serves me correctly, your call as to whether that’s suitable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tiagra bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.