Ti stem lusciousness from Kingdom!

Home Forum Bike Forum Ti stem lusciousness from Kingdom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ti stem lusciousness from Kingdom!
  • Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Nice, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

robinlaidlaw

Nice, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

This. It’s nice looking but I’m not sure what the point over an aluminium one is going to be. Titanium is about 50% heavier than Aluminium for the same volume and that doesn’t look like its going to save enough volume of material to make that back.

ndthornton

^This
    I bet it more than makes up for it in cost though 😉

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

It’s prettier… And the lifetime warranty hopefully means the faceplate isn’t a consumable item. But yeah, you’d have to be insane.

rewski

It came out heavier than predicted according to Kingdom’s site. Ti does looks lovely, and well known for it’s damping qualities. Not sure about Ti components on a Ti bike myself.

linky

ndthornton

Why is the faceplate a consumable?
    I have 2 Thomsons with plenty of miles on them – should I worry the face plates will soon wear out??

robinlaidlaw

35g heavier than the Thomson it resembles, and at least £100 more expensive!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

@ndthornton… Thomson maintain it’s perfectly normal for stem faceplates to break in half, it’s why they sell them separately. It’s not a major issue though, nowt to worry about, they’re just not as strong as they might be considering the middling weight.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

It’s a dull grey stem with an uneven finish. I’d have the Thomson.

patriotpro

Stems should be torsionally stiff. Titanium isn’t stiff.

rewski

It’s a dull grey stem with an uneven finish

It does a bit it that first pic, this one is better. I’d be tempted if they did a longer version.

lemonysam

It does a bit it that first pic, this one is better. I’d be tempted if they did a longer version.

That appears to be a CAD render.

avdave2

I think the back needs to be even more pointy and sharp.

robinlaidlaw

Stems should be torsionally stiff. Titanium isn’t stiff.

It is 70% stiffer than Aluminium for the same size and shape of part, which this pretty much is as compared to the Thomson. The problem is that the Thomson is plenty stiff enough, there’s no need to make it heavier and 3x as expensive.
    Ti frames are only more flexy than Alu ones as the tubes are smaller and thinner than you’d get away with using for an Alu frame.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ti stem lusciousness from Kingdom!’ is closed to new replies.