Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Ti slackline, or keep nukeproof mega?
  • ragleysi
    Free Member

I have an unhealthy yearning that won’t go away for a Stanton slackline ti, I’ve currently got a nukeproof mega which I love, but the slackline keeps looking at me, in a very seductive, you need me in your life kinda way!!!!
    I can’t afford to keep both, I ride 1×10, mainly Xc and trail centres, not afraid of a reasonable drop off, and am pretty quick on the downs but would like to be better going up!! Gonna run it with pikes if I get one, or the 150mm revs I’ve got on the nukeproof, which maybe better suited. What do you think people? Do I give in to the ti side???

yunki
    Free Member

The nukeproof is overkill for trail centres and xc surely..?

peterich
    Free Member

sold my spicy and just ride a bfe now
    love it for everything but do find myself a bit slower on harsher downhill stuff which is a bit sad but ive set myself the goal of making it through to spring on the hardtail to see how I go

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just get a nukeproof mega tr if you want to downsize. Don’t see the point in expensive hardtails personally. The ti ones seem to ride like good steel bikes, just 1/2 lb lighter.

Mugboo

Ask Stevede to post up a photo of him at Gawton on his Ti Slackline!!

ragleysi
    Free Member

No way the nukeproof is overkill yunli, I’ve only got 150s on it, do its 150 mm front and rear, perfect for trail centres and all sorts, rock gardens, etc… It’s brill, but that slackline, I just want it sooooo bad!!!!

ragleysi
    Free Member

I used to have a 160mm mmmbop by the way, which was good, just a bit too harsh with it being ally.

matther01
    Free Member

I nearly bought a ti slackline but opted for a soul instead for general trail/xc at a good £600 difference…a bfe would be even better savings for you.

Those savings have now ended up going towards a bandit…so having the best of both worlds.

What about a shan?

stevede
    Free Member

No tinternet at home for a couple of days jason so just on the phone/3G so will post a link to said photo instead https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/542423
    Basically IMO the bikes a ripper, ride Xc on mine, race dh on it and pretty much everything in between. The faster you ride it the more compliant it is, not as comfy as a full suss, not as fast down as your mega no doubt but a shed load of fun. Love mine.
    Op – based in Cornwall, if you happen to be local your welcome to have a shot. Will also be at fod mini enduro in a few weeks racing ht category on it.

stevede
    Free Member

The souls a different beast, great Xc trail bikes but too flexy when pushed hard (well mine both were, was taking chunks out of the inside of the chainstay with the180mm rear brake rotor which confirmed the back end was as flexy as it felt)! Bfe lacked that something but steady frames for the money.

ragleysi
    Free Member

Maybe a steel slackline may be the way, pimp it to the max!! Big difference in cost obv, but would allow me to get loadsa nice parts for it too, have you ridden a steel one stevede?

stevede
    Free Member

I have but only briefly, same great geometry which is the key to the slackline for me. A few of my mates have steel ones, 2 have the older 853 version and one has the new 631 frame. If the ti is stretching the budget too far then a steel version and a few choice nice parts would probably be a better idea.

bungalistic
    Free Member

If you can afford it just get the 631 slackline and transfer parts over (while still keeping mega) then you can kind of ride both when you want

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What Bungalistic said, 631 frame…keep the parts on that most of the time for English trail centres….rock out the Mega for Scotland, Bike Park Wales, Antur Stiniog, Coed-y-Brenin (maybe) or the Alps.

sv

853 Slackline here, sold my Pitch frame to make the swap. Glad I did great bike and is indeed a ripper 🙂

ragleysi
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea, everything on my nuke is pretty pimp already, and the reverb is the same size which is good, may go for a steel one then I think, some mavic crossmax wheels maybe, will be great whatever! Thanks for advice bud.

ragleysi
    Free Member

Agree with you chaps deffo, strip the nuke, build the slackline, but keep the nuke frame, I’ll just build that up over time till I’ve got two bikes, “retro 26ers”!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ignore yunki, he relies on passers-by to provide him with inner-tubes…

ragleysi
    Free Member

Hahaha, cos he can’t be weighed down with em?? Just seen stevede’s pics of him doing gravity enduro on the slackline ti, proper sending it mate!!! Well in, some big drop offs there fella, braver man than me!!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also even when you only have 2 frames with parts for one bike you will get frame swaps down to a fine art.

Then start off buying the parts hardest to swap eg drivetrain, then brakes. Finally things like forks and wheels.

ART

Tsk .. you stil goin’ on about this 😉 I have a mega and a Ti hardtail. The hardtail in proper lovely and a brilliant ride, but the mega gets more riding, cause at the end of the day suspension really is great. If you can afford it do both; if you can’t yet, then wait and save.

ragleysi
    Free Member

That’s a plan, just wish dan did the 631 in the gunmetal grey the 853 comes in, or the red? Will have to be a black one!

ragleysi
    Free Member

Haha, sorry if I’m boring you with this art!! It’s a big decision tho!!!

ragleysi
    Free Member

And I’m really not good at 2 things, one is saving, and the other is waiting!!!!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just dont buy when you ate feeling a bit manic. Sleep on it.

ragleysi
    Free Member

I’ve been sleeping on for ages bud, gone through many ideas, bfe, soul, Solaris, ff29, Marley, blue pig, kingdom bikes, Canfield, you name it, I’ve considered it…..always boils down to the slackline!!

joeelston
    Free Member

Surely if your heart is set on a Ti Slackline then you have to go for it! Anything else won’t stop you wanting one and will just lead to disappointment and regret! If that’s the bike you really want then do what you can to get it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m with @yunki that a mega is overkill for xc and trail centre – there are lots of better FS bikes for that, I would have suggested some of the bikes you’ve discounted so just buy what you want, ie the Ti

hambl90
    Free Member

If your mega is a large and you decide to sell the frame I could be interested .
    Email in profile if you decide to .

Ian

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely worth keeping the mega frame. Mine only really comes out for trips to the alps, but it’s still a great bike to have for the rare occasions i want it. by coincidence for uk trails I go with an mmmbop! Is a bit harsh I guess but rewards the effort you put in 🙂

Northwind

Steel slackline is mint, Ti one should be double mint.

If you liked the Bop, try and track down a Ragley Ti, obviously everyone recommends what they own but they are bloomin spectacular. All the good stuff of the bop and none of the horrible drawbacks. The only downside is the lysnkey build quality, relatively likely to crack it seems…

izakimak
    Free Member

Sell the mega, forget about the slackline forget about bikes completely get fat and go into bbq pulled pork sandwiches 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tbh a mega isnt overkill for places like cyb if you ride aggressively and off the brakes.

Maybe llandegla or sherwood though. Hehe

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ragley-ti-6

A rare beast is for sale. Could have the ti you desire with all the other bike bits as well! Keep your mega AND get this.

John

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Ti slackline, or keep nukeproof mega?’ is closed to new replies.