Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Ti Pickenflick
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

My cross bike has 44:11 as the top gear. no issue with this on road. in fact 36:44 is a much better set up that 34:50 imo. (gap is much more useable)

Probably wouldn’t want it as my only road bike but it’s been fine over the winter and on 100 milers.

yathers
    Free Member

if you make up the difference in cost mrblobby i’ll buy the tripster, my budget is £1500 max though! 😕

yathers
    Free Member

Hello, I know i’m going on a bit here, but no one has yet answered can I just fit a 46t outer chainring to the chain set?? Is it due to the clearance that I can’t, when I looked in the shop there looked bags of room for larger?? Any straight answers would be nice 😀

td75
    Free Member

We do have an alloy disc big clearance, rack and guard road bike coming in the next couple of months btw…

Any chance of a sneaky picture Brant? I’m on the lookout for something to replace my crosscheck.

thomthumb
    Free Member
    td75
    Free Member

Thanks Thomthumb. Interesting.

mattsccm
    Free Member

just try and find a 46in for the funny BCD.
    I asked some of those questions on Cross junkie. I know I could fit a road compact with smaller tyres.
    Might well do when its replaced.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Damn this thread (and crossjunkie) I now want a pickenflick!

Doug
    Free Member

35mm knobblies, compact crankset or mtb double with a bcd that has 46/48 rings available, shimano gears (so I can put a 9sp deore mech on it and run an mtb cassette on my offroad wheels)

STATO
    Free Member

Even a 48 should fit. Whether you’ll get it to shift properly with a double road mech is another matter.

. That’s what I don’t get. What front mech would you use with road shifters and MTB cranks? Shimano stuff is not cross compatible…?

Doug
    Free Member

Triple road mech would have enough throw for an mtb triple. (Sorry for the edit)

damascus
    Free Member

I run Sram rival shifters and Sram xo rear mech with an xt triple chainset (no granny ring) 36/48 and xt front Mech on my cx.

It was a combination of parts from my road bike and spare parts I had. Works perfectly (touch wood)

Doug
    Free Member

Good to know SRAM road shifters play ball with SRAM mtb rear mechs and shimano front mtb mechs. Scrub the Shimano running gear on the next batch of Pickenflicks and go for a mid cage type 2 rear mech please.

md72
    Free Member

Hi

Just looking at the website and according to my height, I should buy the following

5?9? to 6?1? (175-185cm) L (58cm)

I’m 5’11” with longer arm span than height – it seems on the large side for me, can anyone let me know their experience of this frames sizing?

Thanks

mattsccm
    Free Member

The set up the bike uses is some slightly ugly double. The outer rings are not as they should be. Quite possibly they use a triple c/s with only the inners used. Maybe this is how the double front mech works as it doesn’t need to go all the way to an outer position..
    Its bloody marginal though as mine hit the outer stop a touch sooner than it needed. It wasn’t quite out far enough to stop a touch of scrape in the 11t when pushing hard. Its all Rival though.
    Being SRAM a triple option doesn’t exist. I suppose you could build your own and use Shimano or Campag but then the value isn’t so good.£1K for the frame.
    Not much help but at 5’7″ I went for a small.

brant
    Free Member

The set up the bike uses is some slightly ugly double. The outer rings are not as they should be. Quite possibly they use a triple c/s with only the inners used. Maybe this is how the double front mech works as it doesn’t need to go all the way to an outer position..
    Its bloody marginal though as mine hit the outer stop a touch sooner than it needed. It wasn’t quite out far enough to stop a touch of scrape in the 11t when pushing hard. Its all Rival though.

It’s a SRAM S1000 2×10 crankset

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m waiting for a frame sale 🙂 (will I have a long wait…?)

brant
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    I’m waiting for a frame sale (will I have a long wait…?)
    POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Sold amazingly well. Unlikely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bugger 🙁

md72
    Free Member

Hi Brant

58cm for a 5’11” rider?

Actually the top tube is a 57″

brant
    Free Member

mattsccm
    Free Member

He is right you know about that crank. It looks as if its some modification of a triple as the outer ring sits in slightly from the ends of the spider. Not flush It isn’t pretty and is right at the end of the Rival mech throw. Its does work. Just but a mil more clearance is needed on the front mech. Works well. Why not buy the bike and a cheap used road crank to match it or sell the BB and Crank and put in something more useful.
    My BB had started to creak and groan and it wasn’t smooth. 400 road miles and a bit of very gentle washing. I hear that these BB’s are not anything special.
    Can’t make a fair comparison as I am comparing it to the 10K + that the Campag Chorus BB has done on my Cotic X.
    My dilemma whether to by another ‘flick or wait to see if Brant’s road model appears. come on Brant, more info please.
    Anyway its a very nice bike but the graphics were designed by a primary school kid and applied by his baby brother with a Pritt stick. A dry one at that. Got job I wanted them off.

yathers
    Free Member

Im 6ft, the 56cm frame felt perfect for me. I wouldn’t want a larger frame for off roading anyway. Dam I so want this bike, but just not sure about gears, Anyone got experience of owning/commuting on the carbon xls?? That’s comes with a harder gear.

birney29
    Free Member

Don’t think the XLS will take proper mudguards and if you consider commuting without proper mudguards, you are as mad as a bag of very mad spaniels.

yathers
    Free Member

anyone fitted mudguards to the xls? Come on, someone must have, What are they like as an all rounder?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Waiting for the new one now. would be nice for the HONC but I doubt it.

yathers
    Free Member

Yeah, Me too waiting for the newie, I hear rack mounts and ability for larger chain rings, yay! Anyone got info on when?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

anyone, know what’s the score? they’ve only got frames left at the moment. are they doing another run of these, as complete bikes, and when.
    I’ve sold my 29er, and told myself that 1 hardtail (carbon 456), and 1 road bike (planet x pro carbon)is enough. but that old formula of N+1 is talking to me again. why waste my hardtail blasting/training on fireroads, when one of these is good for blasting and commuting.
    I do NOT need one, I just WANT one.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mine is supposedly due to be built on Friday 😆 Got all the bits I want to add on ready and waiting.

brant
    Free Member

We are out of the parts (cranks) to build so it’s no longer a supported bike build model on the site.
    Due to popular demand, revision in progress on reorder with less clearance and a road crank compatibility.
    Still no rack or guard mounts on that, but other ti models with this in planning.

Thanks for your interest

yathers
    Free Member

So Brant, do you have any ideas on timescales for the revised frame/bike?? Very intrigued by the sounds of “other” titanium offers too. Any more details as I’m really wanting to put my cash on a bike like the pickenflick before the summer passes me by.

paul4stones

Dave Haygarth put a pic of his colourful one up this morning.

Picknflick

fatmax

I saw one at Paris-Roubaix a couple of weeks ago (perfect bike for it by the sounds of the reviews) and it was a beautiful looking bit of kit. I’d love one.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mine has been despatched!!!! Hoping it lands tomorrow morning or the address is shut ‘ti :cry:l Tuesday
    Hope the pedals ordered from P X also land. Posted as they could go in the same box!
    According to somewhere(Crossjunkie?) a 36 inner will fit anyway.

yathers
    Free Member

Well Mattsccm, have you got it yet, would love to hear first hand experience of owning the pickenflick. Go on, you know you want to….

mattsccm
    Free Member

Yep, it’s arrived.
    As with the last one , it’s great. The latest spec wheels are not as light or as nice as the first set but that’s nothing much.
    I like the ride. I have swapped the original 31.6 mm seat pin for a Ti one in 27.2 which makes it even nicer to ride. It’s currently the road bike with 25mm tyres . It’s price is great , a better spec than anything comparable. Maybe not my perfect bike but Campag is rare and definitely not at this price. I would say buy one but you can’t yet.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Ti Pickenflick’ is closed to new replies.