Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Ti Pickenflick
  • yathers
    Free Member

Right, who has one, wants one etc. I’m seriously considering this bike, but need to use it for a lot of road miles too, problem as it only comes with a 42t outer ring. What do we think, too easy gear for road?? 50t on road bike is more what I’m after, or 46t a least.

Any pics of your pickenflicks more than welcome!

STATO
    Free Member

There is some good discussion on Road.cc, including mention that it might get some tweaks to make it even more versatile, i.e. guard mounts. Tho no official mention so in typical PX style prob not expected until after the apocalypse or 2016, which ever is sooner.

brant
    Free Member

Right, who has one, wants one etc. I’m seriously considering this bike, but need to use it for a lot of road miles too, problem as it only comes with a 42t outer ring. What do we think, too easy gear for road?? 50t on road bike is more what I’m after, or 46t a least.
    Any pics of your pickenflicks more than welcome!

It doesn’t sound like the sort of bike you want.
    You are seeing Ti and discs and clearance but not the other bits.
    It’s an offroad bike.
    I can’t spin out 42:11 coming back from Tod to Hebden but ymmv.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

any models planned to fill that void then brant?

brant
    Free Member

We are resampling a more mainstream version. Still not quite sure where we will end up with crank specs.
    I love the wider options SRAM offer but feel we will have to compromise for people who want narrower road spec.
    Adding compatibility for folks that want 53/39 rings is going to be a bit crippling in terms of tyre clearance unless I do something crazy. Hmm.

yathers
    Free Member

I do tnk its the right bike, i just need a bigger gear from time to time. Canal tow paths, cutting over dovestones over to crowden the up doctors gate around glossop is off road. And that the route i shall use it on, plus many oer paths here and there, its just if i need a short cut home and the weather is bad, then road is the quick option home.

STATO
    Free Member

Does restricting the 34/50 not help at all, been a while since i looked at crank spec/spacing so cant remember. I think clarity over what CAN and CANT be fitted would probably suffice, Im yet to find any pictures even showing the bb/chainstay area, nevermind when fitted with cranks. Be good to understand the clearance issue be seeing it. Afteral, crossjunkie (?) has shown pics of his with other ring sizes.

STATO
    Free Member

Id also like to know (anyone not just brant) how does front shifting work with mtb crank and road mech? I tried this once with Shimano and it wasnt a good combo, and we know that you cant mix/match shimano mtb/road ft.dr. Is SRAM the only option in this case then?

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, I wanted the following specs as I cycle to work but I also want to be able to use my bike with my friends without wishing I’d brought my proper road bike!

A titanium disc frame with internal routing.
    A bike designed for road but can take a gravel road or 2
    Able to take 34/50 gearing
    Tyre clearance for at least 28mm
    Eyelets for Mudguards and racks
    A geometry for all day riding but not sit up and beg
    Tapered headset and standard bottom bracket.
    Must be significantly lighter than an aluminum frame to justify the extra cost.

There are some Chinese frames that offer this but I think its a lot of money to spend on something that you know nothing about the company.

I also want to sit on a bike and look at it before I spend my hard earned cash.

Come on PX/OO. What do you have up your sleeves?

johnnystorm

Damascus, I think you’d do well to find a Ti frame significantly lighter than alloy at a similar performance level.

damascus
    Free Member

I currently ride a kinesis tripster which im loving but I’ve been toying with changing the frame and forks for something lighter and faster but as you say, that’s a tall order.

I love the dirty disco but I need full mudguards

Nipper99
    Free Member

A Ti Singular Peregrine would be my dream bike that i can run up to 29×2.00 tyres with – Sam?

johnnystorm

I’d have suggested a Salsa Colossal but I have a nasty feeling its pf30 which you’ve discounted on bb grounds, but pf30s are easily converted. I think the issue with the pickenflick is people are looking at a nicely speccd ti bike and wanting it rather than looking at a racey cx bike and accepting the compromises that brings.

STATO
    Free Member

Johnny, I think many people have been told that if you want bigger tyres on road they should get a cross bike, but there are very few high end cross bikes that have the features people want. On-one/px obviously like catering to niche (or making their own!) but seem to have skirted around large clearance road bikes, other than the kaffenback (which has always been a bit ‘tourer’ in that past). They are in a good position to throw out a carbon or ti, high end but px priced ‘winter’ road bike, I’m amazed they have not. Market must be big given plenty of other small uk shops are selling stuff like that.

damascus
    Free Member

The salsa collossal and warbirds are brilliant but rrp is 2200! That’s more than my horsethief! Lol.

I guess ti and a reasonable price are rarely said in the same sentence

This is the closest I’ve seen but no mudguards and not sure of its off road capabilities. Its rrp for frame and fork is the same as a full build xls or dirty disco

http://www.identitibikes.com/products-details.php?id=5IT4DS05K

scotroutes

Van Nicholas Amazon

johnnystorm

Yeah, I forgot to include Salsa rrp as a killer. 🙁

Kuco

I know its alloy but how about a Niner RLT £999 for frame and fork

brant
    Free Member

We do have an alloy disc big clearance, rack and guard road bike coming in the next couple of months btw…

Jamie
    Free Member

I know its alloy but how about a Niner RLT £999 for frame and fork

I really like the Niner RLT….but £1k 😥

We do have an alloy disc big clearance, rack and guard road bike coming in the next couple of months btw…

Pics or I’m calling bullshit 😛

yathers
    Free Member

I went to the shop today and checked one out, looked really nice, although so to did the flanders xls carbon cx bike. That was super light, but was an upgraded version. Anyway, I tried the pickenflick on the turbo trainer, spun the 42t chainring out really easy, and I know it would be a pain on the road commute, but amazing off road. I’d deffo need 46/48 or 50t outer. It looked a nice bit of kit though!! Brilliant shop too.

damascus
    Free Member

Just spotted this on eBay. Seems like a bargain for a tall bloke if you can get past the dent in the headtube.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301133858567

mattsccm
    Free Member

~Great bike. I am usually a fairly big gear pusher. not monsters but most definitely not a twiddler. top gear is 103″ which is surprisingly high. a 12 tooth rear on a 50t is 112″. the difference isn’t that huge. Think about how often you actually spin out in 112″ Yes it happens but not as much as you think.
    Good for cheating when ticking hills.
    Nice road bike. clearances are way bigger that they need to be.
    I cannot see why a road chainset could not be run if you don’t want to use the huge tyres it can cope with. Crossjunkie suggests it can and Looking at mine I agree. I reckon some one else tried as well, after why else was it advertised to start with as having a road chainset. the one fitted has less common 120 (I think )BCD rings which may make sense to those using the latest cool and trendy chainsets but is bloody expensive when you want some new chainrings.I tried a 11/15 which was pretty good and the gears are much closer as an 11/32 is very gappy and produces the same crap shifting and gaps as any mountain bike.
    Can’t say the forks were well finished on mine. couldn’t make out if they had a matt finish or a shiny one. different in different places.
    Well screwed together with grease where it should be which beats every other manufacture that I have found. Seat pin is a bit low rent. Basic but out classed by the frame. Wheels are the Selcof 29ers which were discussed here a month or so ago. Worked well but spokes were nasty matt black. Looked like how sprayed. Plan was to replace them.
    Customer services up to the usual standard. Low! No one answered emails about issues arising from the order and website(now corrected issues ) Brant intervened to start with but his emails have now stopped.

Don’t bother Brant. the bike was nicked last weekend . So if you see a 54 Pickenflick for sale on the web its bound to be mine!!!

Despite all that another will be ordered, so Brant if you get an order from an insurance company pull the finger out, I want it for the HONC.
    Can’t be anything wrong with a bike that I could replace after a month but don’t want to.

Don’t replace it Brant, just do another version. I would have a road bike specced one

yathers
    Free Member

im not sure how you work out gear ratios, im running a 50t outer and my block is 11-25.I do tend to spin that out quite easily, my mountain bike however has a 34t chainring, 11-34 block. That obviously spins like a bitch on road, fine off-road though. it just felt very VERY easy to spin it out on the turbo trainer (the pickenflick) with its 42t outer. Can I just fit a 46t outer without changing anything else?? I think a 46t would be ok?? The issue is, if I don’t do the offroad commute, which I wont on the way to work, it’s 23 miles of road! I don’t want my legs spinning as its just too far, way home no issues as lovely offroad route ahoy!! 😛

brant
    Free Member

42:11 gives 40kmh at 80rpm

dragon
    Free Member

42:11 gives 40kmh at 80rpm

So useless on the road in other words. Not that long ago a 42 was a climbing gear, and bikes are supposed to have got lighter since then.

birney29
    Free Member

Yeah Brant – how dare you create an off road bike that is not perfect on road as well. Damn you and your evil schemes.

Newsflash guys – if you want a bike that is great on the road, buy a road bike.

dragon
    Free Member

as it is touring the pave in Belgium

From On-Ones own marketing blurb, so it’s not billed as solely an offroad bike.

yathers
    Free Member

News flash, what happens if you already have a road bike?? check, oh look there’s my road bike!! So news flash, what happens if your a mountain biker, (check) but commutes to work on said roadbike (check) but really REALLY wants to turn his 46 miles commute into something much more exciting by going off road (check). So I understand that the bike is a bloody cx machine and no doubt very excellent at that, but all I want is a hard gear. CAN I FIT A 46t chainring to it??

mattsccm
    Free Member

“42:11 gives 40kmh at 80rpm
    So useless on the road in other words.”
    Really?
    40 kph on the flat. Well done.
    Oh down hill.
    Freewheel then
    Might I suggest trying it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm the OP asks about a bike and describes his needs. The guy who designed and sells the bike tells him it isn’t the bike for him. The OP disagrees 🙂

benji
    Free Member

It takes discs, so hubs are availble to chuck on a sram 11 speed with 10t sprocket, single ring for the win.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

damascus – Member
    I currently ride a kinesis tripster which im loving but I’ve been toying with changing the frame and forks for something lighter and faster but as you say, that’s a tall order.

I love the dirty disco but I need full mudguards

Just a thought – but wouldn’t a Tripster ATR be the obvious choice? From your earlier post it also ticks every box, bar the internal routing.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

try a tripster ATR!…

dragon
    Free Member

40kph on the flat is quick but really not that fast,especially as this is supposed to be a nice frame so should be ridden quickly. 60kph would be more like a typical road downhill speed.

So to the Op no this isn’t the frame for you.

yathers
    Free Member

Ok, so what are peoples views on the carbon els cyclocross bike instead, thats got 46t outer, would that be up to the task of general commuter and offroader. Im not sure what the long term effect of uk winter roads & salt would have on the carbon??? Anyone got this frame?? the sizing is probably in between for me too, as they do 54 and 57. I tried the 56 pickenflick, felt perfect. Road bike is a 58, so maybe id be better on the 57 xls?

dragon
    Free Member

Carbon is a perfect winter material. Saying that it’s hardly every that a frame fails through corrosion, it’s mostly the parts that get destroyed by corrosion / wear.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d buy a Tripster ATR, they’re much nicer 🙂

scud
    Free Member

Tripster ATR if you can afford, to say 42t front will be fine for doing road duties is rubbish. I commute on a Cotic X, much heavier than a Pickenflick and with 32c Racing Ralphs and 50/34 front i can spin out on slight downhills in Norfolk! Fun bike though to commute on and cut across the odd field and bridleway.

dragon
    Free Member

Tripster ATR does looks nice. Also look at something from Sabbath cycles, although currently they don’t seem to do a disc brake model but I guess might have something in the works if you contact them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Ti Pickenflick’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts