Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Ti, not as good as you think.
  • simondbarnes

Simon Noooo, But then it must be 10 years old now. My On-one Ti-CX is still going strong, does that mean its just got rarer

Yeah, got it in 2003. One of the original pre-orders. Partly responsible for brant putting a disc mount on there. Still miffed he didn’t use Bez’s suggestion of naming it the stigmata 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

You get what you pay for and Ti takes a lot of material knowledge to work with. I’ve seen loads of cheap Ti that’s cracked but not one originally owned Seven or IF.

LardLover
    Free Member

Seen a Moots crack JCL?

That’s my Moots with the split headtube in the Hall of Shame. And yes, the headset was fitted correctly by an experienced mechanic of many years standing. Moots had no idea why it would fail like that. Sadly it was out of warranty.

69er
    Free Member

Ti – Overrated, overpriced but quite nice to ride. Until it cracks 😉

Which does seem to be a common outcome.

Klunk
    Free Member

You get what you pay for and Ti takes a lot of material knowledge to work with. I’ve seen loads of cheap Ti that’s cracked but not one originally owned Seven or IF.

IIRC someone over on bikemagic had a seven crack at the bb and then seven tried to fob him off with a very shonky repair.

BadlyWiredDog

Actually I wrote that by mistake. Sleeping dogs etc. 😉

bol

I’ve had four Ti bikes and only cracked one. Had a similar number of ally ones and cracked one of them too. Haven’t cracked a steel one yet, but I’m sure I will at some point. Shit happens. It can be fixed.

singlespeedstu

Tries to stay out of this disscussion.

I’ve had quite a few Ti frames from a few different manufacturers.

I won’t be buying another in a hury.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Titanium is fine and a material that is very well suited to bike frame manufacture. The issue will be either poor design (most likely), material or manufacturing quality issues or rider abuse or misuse.

Are there any other causes of failure? I think you’ve named them alll

kharim
    Free Member

I broke two titanium frames (Raleigh dynatech titanium) back in the early 90’s. 3rd time lucky though and the bike is still in use. Ti must be really really good though as some people pay £1,800 😯 or there about for a HT frame. Think I will stick to my Ragley Pig X for a bargain £160

brack
    Free Member

Mates on his 2nd ti VN in a year… Both cracked frames

Ed-O
    Free Member

I’ve cracked ti, carbon and aluminium frames. They were all great bikes.

Must try harder with steel.

zbonty

I just rode my Ti frame for the first time in a year and a half (yay!) and it is’nt broken yet (double yay!!).

Oddly, the rear wheel had gone well out of dish and had to slackened right off and re-jigged before i rode it.

boxelder

TiX CX frame from On-one here – worried now. Did I squander the 275ish quid I paid for it 4 years ago?

igm

Ed – I’ve cracked a couple of steel frames (both P7s actually) but not done carbon, ali or Ti yet. No injuries ensued.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I never got injuries either. Just ‘oh dear’.

TheGingerOne

My original geared Tinbred is 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. My Yeti ASR lasted 2.5 years before a rock strike cracked a weld and wrote it off. The Tinbred frame was half the price of the Yeti.
    I also cracked the aluminium swingarm on a 98 Marin Mount Vision so on my evidence Ti is clearly the best 🙂 , though I expect to go back to Steel for my next frame

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Ti, not as good as you think.’ is closed to new replies.