Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Ti, not as good as you think.
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

K

At least it hasn’t gone rusty.

theflatboy
    Free Member

What frame is it?

shermer75
    Free Member

You must be devastated! Is it defenitely a crack? How long have you had it for?

Klunk
    Free Member

really ? is anyone surprised by a cracked ti frame.

scotroutes

Haven’t we already done this thread this week? I thought it wasn’t rota-ed for return until 10th May.

simondbarnes

Nothing lasts for ever

http://instagram.com/p/VZX99ONNG4/

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a sticker.

Klunk
    Free Member

🙂 , mustn’t laugh really 😳

scruff
    Free Member

What is (was) it ?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Klunk – Member

, mustn’t laugh really

Can do as its not mine but a friends Enigma, BTW he is a big chap and I will tell him you laughed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats a zip tie.

depends what you define as good.

bought my ti bike for the geometry and ride – material wasnt important – no one made a comparible bike in any other material.

br
    Free Member

One of these is mine.

Me too, except mine didn’t crack – I crashed it, but for once the rear mech didn’t break…

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/bruce_nikki/24042010059.jpg

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats wrong with that BR ?

its not even broken. just a little bent.

simon1975

Is there any need for helitape on ti?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah thats a roadie .

i cracked an omega (mark reillys previous company) easton alloy road frame in the same place******

****** it was upside down in a vice having its seatpost surgically removed at the time and ill bet it was lighter than that ti frame 😉 – easton scandium triple butted tubing in size S – one of the lightest non carbon frames ive ever seen.

rewski
    Free Member

Enigma Ego? That looks fixable, has he contacted them. They’ve got an open day in May, bring it down 😉

br
    Free Member

its not even broken. just a little bent.

Yep, but while we managed to bend it back and get it aligned for the mech the drop-out axle ‘hole’ was ovalised. So sent back to Lynskey and they put a new d/s chainstay on it. 3 years ago, and no problems.

johnners
    Free Member

My Soda is the second pic on MTGraham’s hall of shame. I had it welded up by a mate, but tbh I didn’t ride it much post-repair, and I’ve now stripped the frame down. One day I may get it up and running again.

eyerideit
    Free Member

That looks like a sticker to me as well. 😀

BadlyWiredDog

If you get bored you can amuse yourself by changing the google search to ‘cracked steel frame’ or ‘cracked carbon frame’ or ‘cracked aluminium frame’, which proves that none of them are, apparently, ‘as good as you think’…

‘Cracked zimmer frame’ however, doesn’t seem to show any cracks whatsoever. There’s a lesson there somewhere…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

OK to balance things up a bit here’s things I’ve cracked 🙂

Carbon Stem

Aluminium Frame

scotroutes

That “Carbon Stem” is actually a thin skin of Carbon over an aluminium alloy.

boxfish
    Free Member

Steel frame (Kinesis Virsa)
    Alu frame (Whyte 19)
    Ti frame (Soda)

All cracked. All warrantied. I need a carbon bike to complete the set.

nickc

Lots of cracks on or near welds on Ti frames

grum
    Free Member

Ti, not as good as you think.

It’s about as good as I think it is. 😉

Clong
    Free Member

Lots of cracks on or near welds on Ti frames

Ti needs to be cooled down before being exposed to air. If the weld area is discoloured, then is been exposed to air when its too hot and you end end with a weaker weld. Yo won’t see the discolouration on the outside, as its polished off afterwards but if you were to look inside the frame i’m sure you’d see it.

aracer
    Free Member

Ti, not as good as you think.

Actually that’s better than I expected – there’s only one crack.

Surely it will polish out though?

Northwind

Both my ti frames are as good as I think tbh. But one of my carbon and one of my alu frames weren’t.

Kryton57

Can do as its not mine but a friends Enigma

* goes to mancave to thoroughly inspect Engima*

Take it them, thier customer service is very, very good and Mark’s a great chap. They’ll sort it.

40mpg

Anyone with a cracked ti singlespeed frame or cracked ti road frame, I’ll take them off your hands 😀

numplumz
    Free Member

Nothing lasts for ever
    http://instagram.com/p/VZX99ONNG4/

Simon Noooo, But then it must be 10 years old now. My On-one Ti-CX is still going strong, does that mean its just got rarer 😉

Wouldnt buy anothet Ti bike, after two painfull experiences, It’s great material untill it gets welded!

wwaswas

I think the thing with Ti is when it fails everyone runs top the forum and posts photo’s.

If a steel or alu frame fail people just go ‘shit happens’ and buy another.

Spending a lot doesn’t buy a frame for life which is what people seem to think they’re getting.

billyboulders
    Free Member

My Ti frame cracked last weekend too – very disappointing but its being repaired/rebuilt under warranty with no quibble or question though so service like that goes some way to make up for that disappointment. Still the best riding bike I’ve had and will be again when its fixed I hope 🙂
    For balance the worst frames I personally have had the misfortune to own have been aluminium – square boxy looking full suspension 5 inch trail bikes made in Halifax . Three broken in one year, one on its first ride, warranty department was a nightmare to deal with and replacements took ages to come. In the end my lbs got fed up and negotiated a refund and now will not stock that brand (i wasn’t their only customer with bad experiences)
    Yet if you believe what you read on this forum these particular bikes are the best thing since sliced bread.

oldgit
    Free Member

When will my Ti frame break?
    It’s nine years old now and I thought it was good. So now I know it’s not as good as I thought I’m worried about riding it.
    I hate being told things like this, now I can’t enjoy my weekend.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Titanium is fine and a material that is very well suited to bike frame manufacture. The issue will be either poor design (most likely), material or manufacturing quality issues or rider abuse or misuse.

aracer
    Free Member

I think the thing with Ti is when it fails everyone runs top the forum and posts photo’s.

That will probably because of all the eulogizing about “bike for life” which goes on about them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

people still drink the Ti Kool-Aid ?
    😯

Northwind

Don’t expect either of mine to be bikes for life- then I’m not a goon, I’ve got a 20 year old bike and it’s pish, I don’t expect to be getting excited about any of the bikes I own today in 20 years, once everyone else is on hoverbikes.

But as a bike for today there’s nothing I’d rather have than my Ragley. Maybe even tomorrow too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Ti, not as good as you think.’ is closed to new replies.