• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by neilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Ti Hardtails
  • honourablegeorge

Any good options out there? Am sort of looking forward to finally getting out of lockdown, whenever that eventually happens, and having spent the year with my face stuck in a laptop working, I’m thinking of treating myself a little. Kingdom Vendetta would be the obvious option for a LLS 29er Ti hardtail with 140 fork, but wondering what else I haven’t thought of. Stanton Switch9er Ti is a lovely thing (and doesn’t have the ugly seat tube brace), but pretty much double the cost of the Kingdom, and I don’t deserve that much of a treat. Anything else out there? A fresh run of Cotic 29er Soda frames would be right up my street, but I don’t think Cotic have any more planned.

ravingdave

sonder signal Ti?

honourablegeorge

I saw the Sonder, given the choice I’d have a Kingdom over that, the geo suits me better.

the_lecht_rocks

just sold a Titus Fireline Evo. Was good.

nedrapier

I was really keen on a Stanton, ridden a few and liked them. A mate was interested in getting a really special bike for his 40th, and I suggested a Sherpa Ti, dripping in XTR, King and DT. Would have been my dream bike. (but maybe the switchback Ti) and He got it in time for his 41st.

Couldn’t justify the 1750 (2K now I think?) for Ti Stanton, so I was thinking steel Switchback for me, but thought for buttons more I could get a Sonder Signal Ti (£850 in a BH sale) Ordered it a couple of months after my mate ordered his Stanton, had mine delivered, built and out on the trails 3 days later.

Very happy with mine, still feel bad about his!

singlespeedstu

I said I’d never buy another Ti frame as every one I’ve had has broken but I keep looking at the Nordest Bardino Ti frame.
    Mrs stu has a steel Bardino which rides very nice and looks very well made.

pothead
    Free Member

I saw the Sonder, given the choice I’d have a Kingdom over that, the geo suits me better.

A lad I spoke to at Alpkit in Gateshead told me they can get the signal ti made to your own geometry, ie to suit a 150 fork instead of the standard 130, increased reach etc but obvs at extra cost. I didn’t ask how much extra but when I replace my hardtail in nxt couple of years its definitely on the list

davros

Get a kingdom while the pound is up! Then see your saving wiped out by import tax ☹️

Very happy with my signal, I sized up to get the reach I wanted. The kingdom looks great and you get lifetime warranty.

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu

I said I’d never buy another Ti frame as every one I’ve had has broken but I keep looking at the Nordest Bardino Ti frame.

Ah, yes. That’s a maybe also, although it has possibly the biggest seat tube brace I’ve ever seen on a hardtail. Strikes me as being better finished than the Kingdom, but that’s going on pics only. Maybe just better photos. Also designed for a 160 fork, it says, although 140 to 170 are OK – not sure I want that length of travel, or that compromise

monkeyboyjc

Speak to Graham at slam69 and get yourself a custom one of a kind Smokestone to your geometry and specifications.
    Currently £1600, but price may increase this year…. He mainly does fat and gravel frames but I’m sure he’d be happy to provide any style you frame….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I went through this in Autumn last year.

My conclusion was that for the money and the options, nothing gets close to Kingdom Ti.

You end up paying quite a lot more for anything else.

I think if you want that hand crafted finish from an OCD guy in a shed you might be disappointed with the Kingdom.

Let me be clear – There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it’s perfectly well finished and in alignment, but I would describe it as ‘satisfactory’ rather than premium quality.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, the kingdom does look a bit less finished that most, has the weld discolouration, etc.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That’s an option. You can have the discolouration polished out if you want.

schmiken

I had a Kingdom Double9 from the guys years ago – rode brilliantly and got reluctantly sold it on as I now want to go 29 rather than 650B. You wouldn’t regret getting one!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m in a similar place to the OP and the Switch9er Ti is currently first choice though it’s certainly the spendiest option. Looked at the Sonder but can’t get past the seat tube length. I’m on a medium gen 5 Soul at the moment, planning on finally diving into 29er land and have always liked a Ti frame, so will investigate some of the other options too. Following with interest…

postierich
    Free Member

Loving my Sonder Ti built up with beefy 2.6 rear 2.8 front tyres , not ridden my full suss since I built it up.

Great bike great company to deal with

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2k3GN4d]124027553_10159127420711474_8905569158335350775_o[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kxvzrb]145595228_10159370881946474_1212155579253006728_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fgDzSS]55910086_10157295317196474_1319660200986148864_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fmfEbX]56248064_10157295318546474_7007699740011790336_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

chiefgrooveguru

Just had an email from Alpkit/Sonder about this!

They’ll do custom geometry of any of their production Ti frames for £300 extra. Or they’ll do a full custom Ti frame for £1750.

dthom3uk

Another shout out for the Signal Ti. I’ve had one a couple of years now and it’s the best mountain bike I’ve ever owned. Alpkit are a good company to deal with as well.

Daffy

I really want that new Turner Ti Hardtail, but $2800…+VAT+Duty…eeek

nedrapier

@gonetothehills

“Looked at the Sonder but can’t get past the seat tube length.”

Are you going by the review in the mag (there’s a mag? etc) they’ve improved since then. I can get all 270mm of Fox Transfer in my Large. Spec. is 220.

If you’re in any sort of hurry, I’d be wary of ordering a Stanton they don’t have in stock. 11 months of being told “6 weeks” have left a bit a scar on me!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks @nedrapier. It’s from the specs on the Sonder website – I’m 5’ 11” so bang in the middle of a large, but the spec sheet has the seat tube at 465mm and the reach at 457.5mm. The reach is spot on but the seat tube is 40mm taller than the Stanton and my current Soul. I do like the look of the Sonder and am a very happy Alpkit customer too.

nedrapier

Do you want/need a 200 or 210 dropper? My 175 (not 170, just checked) dropper is 10 or 15mm out of the frame.

If it’s standover that’s on your mind, the cross brace arrangement takes the goolies interface down by at least 4cm.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m a 31” inside leg and have a 150mm post on the Soul at the moment I think. That’s sitting about an inch outside the frame. Might work then? I certainly like the look of the frame and the rest of the numbers look right for what I’m after. Thanks for your input on it!

dukeduvet

How can you refuse the Sonder Signal Ti after seeing the photos by postierich?!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Totally! He’s doing a very good job of selling the dream! 😀

ton

recently took a turn down the Ti hardtail route myself.
    went for a Salsa fargo Ti. the frame is a thing of beauty. i like to stroke it….. ;o)

nedrapier

Hmm. I’m 5’11” too, but 33in inside leg.

Sounds like a bit of tape measure work is in order then: BB – dropper collar, see where you end up.

ta11pau1

Just had an email from Alpkit/Sonder about this!

They’ll do custom geometry of any of their production Ti frames for £300 extra. Or they’ll do a full custom Ti frame for £1750.

Yeah all the Ti frames are pretty much made to order in the far east, hence they can change geo to your desire.

Have you checked what the lead time is on the frames? It’s likely to be 2-3 months.

I’ve very very close to getting my own Ti hardtail frame, a Nordest – but with a Pinion gearbox. UPS have had the parcel once, then returned it to sender, so it’s with them again for round 2… :/

Clink

I test rode a demo Signal in the Lakes. It was large, I’m 5’10” and it was spot on.

ta11pau1

I rode their Pinion demo bike in the peak district, 6ft 3in on a Medium… it did the job so I could test the gearbox.

c_klein87

I’ve had a Sonder Ti for a year, coming from mostly xc bikes before its been great, a slightly steep seatube angle would be good, but otherwise really like it and haven’t ridden my full suss bike since. hoping to take it on some longer bike packing rides this year once lockdown eases. would share a photo if it wasn’t so complicated!

tomaso
    Free Member

I can vouch for Richard’s Sonder Signal recommendation, it has positively transformed his riding him into a mediocre rider.

salsaboy

very pleased with my Nordest, but hearing worrying stories about delivery problems at the moment.
    Mine arrived 3 days after despatch, pre Brexit.

gingersquirrel

Another vote for the signal ti here. I have a pinion driven one with custom geometry. Very happy with the bike. Speak to Neil at alpkit

postierich
    Free Member

Coming from a riding god as yourself Tomaso I take that mediocre comment with pleasure looking forward to the return of our Wednesday night shoot outs!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

All these Signal Ti photos are turning my head a little! Is anyone on a large with 31” inside leg? If so, what length dropper are you running? Cheers in advance.

bri-72

150mm brand x here but 20-30mm post above the clamp so 170 be ok I reckon.

bri-72

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Try Travers bikes.
    They do a frame called a Russ Ti.
    Was originally designed more with XC and bike packing in mind but I think it’s a bit more capable than that.
    They have just brought out a new model.
    I have the original which fits 29er wheels and Plus.
    They can do custom geometry and features for an extra cost as well.
    Been a fantastic bike!
    Thanks,
    Max.

gingersquirrel

I’m 5,10. 31 inside leg. Mine was configured as a medium long frame. 150mm dropper

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Ti Hardtails’ is closed to new replies.