Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ti Hardtail or full sus?
  • Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

hi guys and girls, im thinking of replacing my stiffee with something approaching decent levels of comfort and need some advice from the STW massive.

My lower back is the main issue, after 24/12 at the weekend im still in a lot of discomfort.

Obviously a full sus is going to offer higher comfort levels than a Ti hardtail but I have a minor phobia of maintenance so like the purity of a hardtail – why i swapped in the first place.

Will i notice a big difference with a ti hardtail or is it boing all the way?

Before anyopne asks, ive played around with the position of the stiffee and its pretty much as good as its going to get, the problem is down to random/unexpectd jarring causing my back to spasm…

Any advice, heckling or plain abuse welcome!

Jim.
    x

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a Ti HT will be anything like as comfy as a FS.

Yes they can be made compliant, but they're still a hardtail.

the-muffin-man

Will i notice a big difference with a ti hardtail or is it boing all the way?

A Ti hardtail will give a slightly more forgiving ride than your stiffee, but they aren't in the same league comfort-wise as a full suss frame.

A hardtail is still a hardtail no matter what its made from – and I've had Ali, 853 steel, regular steel and Ti ones!

StirlingCrispin

A single-pivot FS will have minimal extra maintenance compared to a HT, so don't let that put you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The extra maintenance will probably consist of an anual shock service done by someoen else, the occasional air can service (quicker than lubeing a chain IME), pivot bearings don't take long, even on a 4 bar, bushings are the most consumable bit and are quick to do as well if you have a vice.

gil_

I think I have the perfect answer to your problem

Look Here

br
    Free Member

Also check your 'position' – maybe you are getting old and would 'benefit' from higher bars 😉

I know that it worked for me.

loddrik
    Free Member

A decent suspension post may help a little…

I now only run a Ti HT and no, it isn't as comfy as a full sus but I run large volume fast rolling tyres run at lower pressures which really does help.

wors

Don't sit down going over rough stuff, that might help.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Let 5 psi out of the tyres of your Stifee – that'll be about as much extra 'compliance' as you'll get out of a titanium hardtail.

Considered a suspension post? That might take the sting out of things.

stuey
    Free Member

3rd – get a thudbuster for longer rides – stopped me selling my Stiffee.
    I now use a long twangy Ec70 carbon post for 2hr 'blasts'

wwaswas

I'd spend some money on a bike fit session and not assume that a bit of extra squidge at the back will solve the problem.

It could be a number of causes – I got back pain on a cross bike that was slightly too large for me, for instance or it coudl just be you put mor eeffort in on some rides and you're back muscles aren't used to it.

ski
    Free Member

My lower back is the main issue, after 24/12 at the weekend im still in a lot of discomfort.

Bet there are not many folk about that dont have some type discomfort after doing a 12/24 😉

I would wait until you have stopped hurting before you make any rash decisions on changing kit.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

fair point wwaswas, i'll have a look for someone near brighton that can do that…

its not going to stop me researching a new toy though!

Xylene
    Free Member

I just built up an Enduro frame to see if that is going to stop my lower back problems or not. I suspect it won't as I had noticed the last few weeks it was a lot better on my HT anyway and I was a lot more relaxed riding it.

It will be interesting to see how well it does in stopping the lower back pain or if it was purely down to being over tense when riding.

Janesy
    Free Member

Jim Kirk – I 'raced' a Stiffee at the weekend, I think I saw your bike, was it a creamy yellow?

I also had an S works Enduro mentioned in this thread. Suffered from lower back pain with that. Moved to the stiffee, realised that it’s a fit issue not the bike as much as you'd think.

I now do not suffer from back pain with the HT. maybe it’s the way you ride, no disrespect! On full sus bikes people sometimes get lazy when riding eg. Sitting down.

On my Stiffee whenever it gets rough I’m on my legs – only sitting down get rid of lactic acid etc. although got a little painful in Morzine.

Any other opinions?

cinnamon_girl

My full suss went back end of last year so hardtails only for this old girl.

A wee experiment a couple of months ago – same route of 55km, same trail conditions (ie dry) on two different hardtails with a couple of weeks apart.

One bike was a Soul so obviously steel, 120mm fork, Thomson seatpost, weight 25 lbs.

Other bike was a Ti, 100mm fork, Ti seatpost, weight 22 lbs.

Wheels, brakes, carbon bar, stem, crankset, flat pedals, saddle – identical on both.

I felt less beat up on the Ti. I love that bike.

Dunno whether that helps? ❓

nacho
    Free Member

I have a bad lower back. Ride an FS and HT. The FS is ALWAYS easier on my back. FS is single pivot (Heckler) for minimum maintenance as I am rubbish!

avdave2

i'll have a look for someone near brighton that can do that..

Enigma in Eastbourne certainly have the capability as they offer it for their bespoke builds. It might be worth contacted them to see if they offer it as a separate service. Of course you may find it hard to leave without ordering one.

danti
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ti Hardtail or full sus?’ is closed to new replies.