Ti frame repaired under warranty – any experience?

Home Forum Bike Forum Ti frame repaired under warranty – any experience?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ti frame repaired under warranty – any experience?
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Go on – tell us who made it…

FWIW, Van Nicholas’ policy is to always replace rather than repair. That’s why I’d always put them to the top of my list. I also wonder if that policy has developed through experience of repair attempts

bencooper

FWIW, Van Nicholas’ policy is to always replace rather than repair. That’s why I’d always put them to the top of my list. I also wonder if that policy has developed through experience of repair attempts

Or that it’s far cheaper to just pull another mass-produced frame off the shelf rather than mess about with repairing.

My beloved Ti frame has developed a crack around the top-tube/seat-tube join. Funny how you can form an emotional attachment to an inanimate object – I actually feel quite sad about it 🙁
    Anyhoo – it is being repaired under lifetime warranty, which I am happy with and as it has to go back to the U.S. I realise it may take a while. Within reason I’m also happy with this.
    Google links to quite a few “broken Ti” frames on STW and I am after peoples experience – How good was your repair? visible/noticable? Any further problems? etc, etc.
    Not interested in “Ti always breaks, especially from XXXX manufacturer” just peoples experience with warranty repairs – thanks.

b r

If they are repairing under warrenty I’d expect it to last as long again. And since its life-time, just keep getting it fixed 🙂

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

So is that a Ragley Ti then? If so, I’d expect a Lynskey repair to be as good as the original frame and, possibly, if there’s a generic weakness in the design, to address it – didn’t they tweak MTQ Graham’s 29er when it cracked with a thicker seat-tube? Or was it thinner? [edit: this thread]

Oh, and I’m sure the ‘frame for life’ trolls will be out shortly with their advanced Schadenfreude, has it ever occurred to any of them that some people buy Ti frames not because they believe they will last indefinitely, but because they just ride beautifully. Ignore them.

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

I had my 05 Hummer’s chainstays replaced (dont ask ! ) ahem chainsuck ! by Litespeed must be over 4 years ago now still fine . Only driveside affected but they wanted to replace both as they couldnt guarantee frame alignment only doing one . Cost me £300 ish but i wont go there ! 🙄

b r

I also had my Lynskey produced 456Ti repaired as I managed to bend the hanger/drop-outs in a crash. They replaced the d/s rear stays.

You can’t see where and that was over 3 years ago.

ScottChegg

I’d expect a Lynskey repair to be as good as the original frame

Not what you’d call a glowing endorsement.

ti_pin_man

I have to say I’m disappinted so many ti frames are failing, clearly quality is lacking in the build / design process. These are supoposed to have lifetime warrenties meaning they shouldnt need repairing/replacing.

I dont believe lifetime necessarily means life (a bit like a murderer getting life and being out in 15 years) BUT these new ‘mass market’ ti frames do seem to have more failures.

My ti Ibis hardtail failed last year… but it was 18 years old, personally I think thats a good innings and I’m going to get it repaired later this year BUT 2 or 3 years for a ti frame, as per the postings above is crap.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I have two well-used Ti frames older than 2-3 years but they are, apparently, cheap and mass-produced 🙄

Do Lynskey count as mass-market?

Subscriber

These are supoposed to have lifetime warrenties meaning they shouldnt need repairing/replacing.

Doesn’t lifetime warranty just mean it has a lifetime warranty? Meaning that should a frame need repairing, it will be? You’re kind of making assumptions and presenting them as wider general truths.

You could equally well have said that they ‘are supposed to have lifetime warranties meaning they should need repairing/replacing’, which is why they’re warrantied. If you believe a frame won’t ever fail, why warranty it at all?

I’d say a lifetime warranty just means that the company stands behind its product rather than that it’s making assumptions about failure or not, which seems like a positive thing to me.

Plus you could, maybe argue that the problem is not necessarily that the frames aren’t as well made, but that longer-forked hardtails in particular – Ragley Ti, Ti 456 etc – get more of a battering than older, shorter travel frames. Or that might be complete rubbish.

I don’t know. I’m not a metallurgist or an expert on bike frames or even very bright 😉

big_n_daft

Doesn’t lifetime warranty just mean it has a lifetime warranty?

no, just google the Cannondale lifetime warranty claims that get rejected due to “age”

Subscriber

no, just google the Cannondale lifetime warranty claims that get rejected due to “age”

I googled Lynskey warranty problems instead as it seemed more relevant to this thread and didn’t find anything like that, mostly I found really positive comments, but at some point I guess you have to realistically accept that nothing is going to last forever.

Anyway…

b r

I have to say I’m disappinted so many ti frames are failing, clearly quality is lacking in the build / design process. These are supoposed to have lifetime warrenties meaning they shouldnt need repairing/replacing.

Mine didn’t fail, I broke it. An aluminium one would’ve been scrap.

Jason

My ti frame failed in the same place. I spotted a an inch long horizontal hairline crack on the top tube/seat tube join. I was the 2nd owner so the frame wasn’t covered by a warranty. I had a cheap repair done by Vernon Barker, was fine, but not that pretty. Eventually it cracked on the other side too.

Yes BadlyWiredDog it is a Lynskey built Ragley Ti – I am gutted, described by the designer as “the best hard riding hard tail ever built” when it came out and I know its only sales talk but I agree 🙁
    Thanks for your link to MTG’s thread my frame is broken in exactly the same way as his was and I must say I’m a bit worried now, the repair they did on his frame doesnt look particularly good to me. I also have £200 worth of 31.6 Reverb that will be useless if they change the seat tube diameter. Dont assume Ti frame, dropper post etc. means I have loads of money, it doesnt, it means I have a passion and work and save hard to indulge it. I couldnt afford to have £200 worth of useless seatpost sitting around.
    I also notice another ridgeline gone in the same place in the same way pictured on that thread. Maybe there is a case for arguing there is an inherent fault in these frames and a repair wont be acceptable? I’m supposed to strip it this evening and take the frame down to the shop tomorrow and it would be good to have my facts prepared before I go.
    EDIT- I really love to ride this bike and will be perfectly happy to have it repaired, but not in the way MTG’s was Im sure its perfectly fine but that looks like a bodge to me

Another point, from the original sales literature “…..with a 31.6mm diameter seat tube so you can run the latest generation of adjustable seat posts……” so if they change the seatpost diameter then this is no longer the frame that was advertised and which I bought? Surely thats not acceptable?

Subscriber

That wouldn’t be acceptable to me either, but to be fair, they haven’t done that or threatened to do it and I suspect if you make the point that it wouldn’t be okay and explain why, they wouldn’t do it.

Also, Graham’s frame was a Lynskey, I suspect with yours being a Ragley they’re more likely to return it to original spec. If you google Lynskey customer service, they get pretty much 100% positive feedback all round and I’ve found them generally good.

It’s gutting when a frame you love breaks, but look at it positively, there’s a very good chance Lynskey will be able to repair it and you’ll be, hopefully, back on it again by the summer, if we get one. Anyway, fingers crossed for you.

*sniff, sniff-wipes nose on sleeve and dries eyes*
    Your right I will put these points to them – ta.

Subscriber

I just dropped you an e-mail as well to the address in your forum profile if that works?

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

Have you seen the threads from somafunk about his Cove Hummer?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-cove-hummer-is-builtfinally/page/2#post-4839830

He had various concerns about the insert for the seat post and Lynskey made him a new on for his bike.

If you love the frame so much you may want to consider allowing them to reduce the inner seat post diameter to 30.9 to give additional support there and see if you can swap the reverb on here. I realise this is far from ideal and is more awkward for you in the initial period but 30.9 is still a widely recognised standard for the dropper posts so in the long run may be the best of both worlds.

Thanks Rusty (and everyone else) All good stuff STW can be a brilliant place. 😉
    BadlyWiredDog, billybouldersATbtinternetDOTcom is correct and I have tested it works but I dont seem to have got your mail, could you try again? – ta.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Not sure how happy I’d be with a warranty repair rather than replacement tbh. Warranty should put you back to where you were before the part failed…

Anyway- Enigma welded up my Soda (bought used and cracked), they did a pretty neat job and I trust the repair as far as I can really, but it’s still very obviously cracked and repaired. And lets be honest, if it cracked there once, the repair needs to be stronger than the original frame or it’s likely to crack again, how likely is that? Also, it obviously hammers the resale value.

Premier Icon zbonty
    Subscriber

I too had a Ti456 sent back/repaired.

New bit welded on, frame totally shot blasted with original flames finish.
    Looked like new.

Good back up of their product ime.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ti frame repaired under warranty – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.