Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ti frame protection?
  • hardtailonly

Got a Pickenflick on the way.

Does Ti need frame protection? Does it come with a finish / lacquer, or is it just plain metal? Can any scratches or marks be rubbed and blended back in?

I’m certainly not going to splash out on £80 for an Invisiframe kit, but am thinking about some helicopter tape for areas to reduce cable rub, and the chainstay, or do I simply not need to bother?

scotroutes

I don’t bother.

shredder
    Free Member

I have a Kingdom Vendetta on which I have used strategically placed bits of helitape. Odd marks etc that the frame does pick up are virtually invisible anyway.

mariner
    Free Member

ti frames don’t show ‘wear’ marks they acquire patina.
    Helicopter tape for mud accumulating places otherwise a rub down with wd40 and if its a brushed finish a rub with some very soft wire wool.

solarider
    Free Member

Absolutely no protection necessary. That’s the beauty of a brushed titanium frame. It won’t corrode.

Cosmetically, of course it will mark from cable rub and the likes, but you just use green scotchbrite to bring it back to life. I would however recommend a chain stay protector just to stop the noise.

Now bead blasted or polished finishes are a different and altogether less practical story, and I don’t know why brands do it. But brushed titanium is about the easiest finish to live with and keep looking good.

hardtailonly

Excellent!

I’ve not really bothered with my other bikes in the past (raw steel, painted aluminium), but as this bike is a bit more *special, wanted to keep it looking nice as well as being used hard. Good to know I don’t need to bother much.

The fork is a matte black carbon item … Helicopter tape for that, or will that bugger up the finish if/when I come to remove it? (Used a cheap heli-tape imitation on a carbon fork years ago and removing it peeled away the lacquer and some of the paint)

Any recommendations for where to get Heli tape?

scotroutes

Black insulating/electrical tape will do on your forks.

vincienup
    Free Member

Always use heat removing tape.

guglielmo
    Free Member

I’d heli tape the cable rub areas and the chainstay if I were you… Titanium is not invincible against a steel chain and steel cables!

TiRed

I don’t bother. You can polish then up or just rub down the blemishes. But it’s a durable finish

shinton
    Free Member

I would however recommend a chain stay protector just to stop the noise.

I find the noise of the chain on Ti quite agreeable 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

For nearly 4 years my Pick has been scrubbed over with the green bit of a washing up pad then wiped in cheap WD40 Copt with the yellow side. Good as new . Ti is everything proof.

rone

Scotchbrite and TF2.

That’s it.

jonnyseven

Recommend tape where the normal rub points for cables is. Ti is not everything proof and in time will wear – only a lot slower than an alloy frame even with normal cables. The evidence is on my HT. Also the downtube is not invincible to rocks and denting and a the slapping of a steel chain will in time take its toll. Do not believe any hype you hear that you can’t break a Ti frame either 🙂

kiwijohn

This old thimg is still riding a treat after 22 years. Chainstay protector is all it got, never been polished.

Handled some pretty chunky trails fully loaded, no bother. More worried about the wheels actually.

hardtailonly

Anyone wax or polish their Ti frames? And if so, using what?

rone

I do have some purpose ti polish but I find TF2 Lubricant spray is as good as anything.

scotroutes

Once in a blue moon* I’ll polish mine with some Brasso.

* which makes it the end of this month

slimjim78
    Free Member

‘Nair’ hair removal wax actually works best on Ti frames. Or Veet is equally as good. Just don’t apply it with your man brush.
    Or do.

somafunk

Silvo tarnish guard brings a nice finish to a bare ti frame (i found it better than brasso), use gloves otherwise your fingers will turn black

hardtailonly

Great … Lots of interesting / unexpected advice!

I’m after something that not only polishes, but gives at least a bit of a protective coating, ie will reduce greasy finger print marks, and allow the water to bead, so thinking along the lines of a wax. Realise it will need to be regularly re-applied (and I’ll probably get bored of doing so after a few muddy rides!) … Will the brasso / silvo give a bit of protection too, or do they just polish?

Heard others recommending pledge furniture polish too …

kiwijohn

Honestly, titanium doesn’t need anything done to it.

zbonty

Not worth the energy IMO
    A couple of cable rub stickers and a chain stay protector only

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ti frame protection?’ is closed to new replies.