Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ti 456: Futureproofing question
  • mrmoofo

Does anyone know if the current on-one Ti 456 will accept a 650b rear wheel?

And matched with a 650b fork – will it work or handle like a drunk three legged dog?
    Or snap in half?

pickle
    Free Member

maybe you’d be better off asking On-One?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well as 650b is 26 with a big tyre on, if you only plan to run small tyres it will probably feel no different. A huge number of forks will take 650 with a little reduced clearance so just check the A2C comparison for them.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

650b isn’t the future so I wouldn’t worry too much.

The minidisc of mountain bikes if you ask me and thought up by marketing men to sell more bikes to the gullible

mrmoofo

Sure, Pickle – but Brant does post here occassionaly …

You would be best asking professionals a lot of things – but that doesn’t stop it being the bread and butter of chat rooms. On STW it has been 29ers through to depression …

mrmoofo

Coolhandluke … I am inclined to agree with you. There is more naled marketing guff about 650b than even 29ers.

29ers will have a place a cross country / trail mile munchers. 26 will be long travel / play bikes. It’s all the companies that have missed the 29er boat that are jumping on the 650b thang.

And of course, when it fades away, they will sell the bikes as big mud clearnce 26ers anyway …

Northwind

Way I see it, if you fit a big tyre on a 650B wheel, it does end up a bit bigger than a big tyre on a 26er. And that’s going to raise the BB up and move the bike away from the original design.

So I suppose what I’m saying is, question isn’t will it fit, it’s will it be a great idea. I’d have had my 456’s BB a little lower I think not higher.

Rik
    Free Member

The new version has a low bb compared to to the old version.

I think a 650b would fit with narrow tyres (just about) but begs the question why the hell would you want to buy a super slack hardtail and put weenie xc tyres on it. There are far more suitable frames out there if you want to do that sort of riding.

Northwind

Rik – Member

Aye, step in the right direction tbh so shame to spoil it.

mrmoofo

I think a 650b would fit with narrow tyres (just about) but begs the question why the hell would you want to buy a super slack hardtail and put weenie xc tyres on it. There are far more suitable frames out there if you want to do that sort of riding

I’m not sure that I would want to put 650b on there TBH. But i don’t want to be the only one at the STW disco wearing a tank top and national health glasses.

However jumping on your comments – i’m looking for something to replace my Soul. It’s too small. I will keep the Bfe for more extreme stuff, so the new bike would fullfil “everyday riding” inc XC.

I have had a 456 in the past, and it fitted me well and I like the ride – now, I’m guessing geometery has chnaged since ’07. I only sold it cos I had a buyer and I bought a soul frame on ebay …

So the Ti 456 is one choice
    The xl solaris is the other …

Rik
    Free Member

The latest evo 456 is a radical change from the past (but for the better).

Very, very slack and low. It’s ace

mrmoofo

So will it suit general duties – or is it an all out , balls in the wind, long travel AM machine …?

mrmoofo

Any thoughts on Ti 456 vs a Solaris?

Northwind

mrmoofo – Member

So will it suit general duties – or is it an all out , balls in the wind, long travel AM machine …?

Can it not be both? My Ragley is…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

will it … snap in half?

If it was Lynskey, almost certainly. The Van Nic might have more of a chance.

BadlyWiredDog

Can it not be both? My Ragley is…

Yep, likewise. My Ragley’s done 60+ mile days in the Peak, the Atlas mountains, techy local stuff in the Peak again, a two-day race in the Lakes, Ten at Kirroughtree and muddly laps soloing at 24/12 last year with mud tyres with just the occasional wheel/tyre swap. If I had to replace it, the Ti Evo 456 is what I’d go for and I don’t see why it would be any different.

BadlyWiredDog

will it … snap in half?
    If it was Lynskey, almost certainly. The Van Nic might have more of a chance.

Hahaha… Lynskey will fix it. How they fix it is something else altogether… 😉

mangatank
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let Brant hear about your plans to convert the Ti456e to 650b. His position on the format is quite…well defined let’s say 😆

As for the frame, it’ll grow with your abilities and have you pushing your boundaries with confidence. I’m a significantly more brave and ‘aggressive’ rider on the T456 than my previous bikes. Northwind is right too. The T456e builds into an versatile bike. Lovely to just ride around on, great at climbing and mental down hill.

rob2
    Free Member

I asked On-one this the other day. Their reply was… no.

br
    Free Member

I’ve an earlier 456Ti and no way will a 650B back wheel/tyre fit in, at least not in my large frame.

My steel version could take a 26″ 2.4 NN on a DT Swiss 5.1 rim, but there is (slightly) less room in the Ti, so it’s not really an option.

mrmoofo

Cool – thanks for the reply …
    I do keep thinking I should go 29er – I’m tall and “well covered” – but I do have all the stuff just to swop out on a 26er …

The extra inch of frame size on the Ti will make a lot of difference over the Soul

The top tube looks pretty short though … is it?

mangatank
    Free Member

Long top tubes, short stems.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ti 456: Futureproofing question’ is closed to new replies.